Easiest Way to Burn Fat in Your Midsection? (Women)

Options
As many women know, one of the last places we lose weight is in our midsection (the gut donut, lovehandles, etc. etc...). I myself carry most of my extra weight there, and it seems like the first places I've lost weight is in my arms, shoulders and thighs. I have a wedding coming up in less that a month, and I was hoping I could shed some of the weight from my middle, so I could avoid wearing a girdle!

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or exercises that will target the weight in the midsection, without building an obscene amount of muscle? Gaining abs under my gut will only make me look bigger!

- eradigan07

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Core body training as in yoga or pilates will help you minimize your waistline. Another fun waist-whittling workout is bellydance.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If you did build an obscene amount of muscle, you could break the people who make you feel uncomfortable about your tummy.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've cut out a lot of carbs (especially sugar and milk) from my diet and took up running. Lost 3" from my waist, and only one from my hips, not even mentioning my thighs. Not sure if I am just a fluke, but that's how it went for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    As many women know, one of the last places we lose weight is in our midsection (the gut donut, lovehandles, etc. etc...). I myself carry most of my extra weight there, and it seems like the first places I've lost weight is in my arms, shoulders and thighs. I have a wedding coming up in less that a month, and I was hoping I could shed some of the weight from my middle, so I could avoid wearing a girdle!

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or exercises that will target the weight in the midsection, without building an obscene amount of muscle? Gaining abs under my gut will only make me look bigger!

- eradigan07

Nope! - NOT the last place for me - I lose it "below the waist" AFTER everywhere else.

Where you carry your extra weight is genetics. All you can do is lose the weight, it will come off wherever it wants too. If you tone up these areas while losing weight .... they will look great WHEN you get to goal. Cardio burns fat, but strength tighens everything up - you want both.

Pilates is great for the midsection, helps you hold everything in. You will NOT bulk up even with weights (upper body) - for most women this is not possible, not enough testosterone.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    losing overall bodyfat is gonna be the only way to "burn" fat in your midsection
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce.
    come to terms with it. you have to lose fat all over to lose fat in your "problem" areas.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    As it's been proven and said a 1000 times before, you can't spot reduce. Keep watching what you eat and exercising and the fat will eventually come off.

And FYI - as a women, you'll NEVER build enough core muscles to make you look bigger, unless you start taking steroids.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Zumba, running and core exercises everyday also doing Jiliian Dvd's has helped cut my gut down immensely. I still have a long way to go but i'm noticing a big difference your going to have to step up your A Game and be sore for the next month. Good luck to you and if you want it bad enough you can do it!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    losing overall bodyfat is gonna be the only way to "burn" fat in your midsection

^^^^ this :D
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce FAT from your midsection :(. The only way to get rid of it is to lose overall body fat. It's all about genetics when it comes to losing body fat. Some people lose body fat in their lower body first and others lose it in their arms first etc etc. Core training will help tighten your muscles but will not get rid of the fat you are trying to get rid of.

Just keep losing weight and it will all come together. :)
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ive been doing jillian micheals 30 day shred dvd and ive been losing an inch from my belly, waist and thighs every week for the past 3 weeks.....you dont loose much lbs but you def lose inches.....i was doing it 6 days a week

i know its hard to judge if you will because different sized people loose weight differently but when i 1st started MFP 40 days ago i weighed 158lbs, was 12-14(uk size) clothes and im 5' 5.5'' but i carry all my weight as a tyre round my belly and thighs and ive been impressed with the inches i've lost xx
  • melameeee
    melameeee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    DIET!! cut out bread, sugar, and dairy for the month. eat a lot of raw food and liquified things like smoothies and juice.
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have lost 3 inches off my middle since starting zumba classes only a few months ago. i only do it once per week (in addition to running, some ab work (twice a week 15 minute routines) and light weight training). There is lots of belly dancing type moves and hip shaking in zumba which must be whats doing it for me. its super fun too! I have also taken up Piloxing, but have only been twice so i dont know about results yet. I'm finding that i am doing really well lately because of the variety of things i'm doing. :smile:
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Spanx - love them. It's the only way I get a flat tummy.
  • adf4
    adf4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred gives great results for losing inches at the tummy!
  • Steph62002
    Options
    A clean diet, cardio and strength training will work wonders.
    While you can't spot reduce, I try to incorporate cardio/strength moves in the plank position (such as mountain climbers) to help strengthen my core.
  • eradigan07
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback everyone!

It's hard to come to terms with the fact that the gut is one of the last places to go, but a part of me was hoping there would be an easier way to target my midsection...so much for wishful thinking, right? lol! I've been doing a lot of walking and kickboxing, so now I know what other types of workouts to implement!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Spanx - love them. It's the only way I get a flat tummy.

love this! :)
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    There is no easy way but add lot of crutches and planks to your workout and it will help with the stubborn belly fat. JM is great for that, as a previous poster said.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try hot (bikram) yoga. Although you can't spot reduce fat it is a good water weight killer which should help reduce gut bloat right before the wedding.