Need help :(

Options
In two years I've gone from a size 24, 20 a baggy 20. I need to get down to a size 16 before the middle of june.

For the last couple of weeks I've been watching very carefully what I eat, and how I eat. I'm incorporating excersize whenever I can fit it in (usually three to four times a week), and trying to stay motivated.

Its hard when most of my family is heavy, and I have virtually no support. I'm tired of feeling sick, and being disgusted with myself. I don't want to be a twig, I just want to be comfortable in my own skin.

I need motivation, and maybe some workouts that you guys have done that have worked for you. Anything will help.

Replies

• heleflump
    heleflump Posts: 57
    Options
    Hey you! Don't be down - I know it can be hard - I hnoestly thought I would have lost more by now - but seemingly not! But I try to concentrate on what I have achieved to make myself feel more positive about things.

I am not a natural exerciser either (spent too many years trying to avoid it and telling myself I was suited to it (more like wasn't suited to the clothes!)) but i have a dog and he needs walking - so I walk faster (have been known to break out in a run sometimes - when there is no chance of anyone seeing me! - that in itself is a major step forward - previously I would only run to get first in the queue for food!!) I have a house and it needs cleaning - I HATE housework so try to do it quickly - burns calries!!

Oh and I love cheesey music and dancing - so I will put my fave tracks on full blast and get boogying - you exercise by default and feel happy because you love the tunes.

Also, put on a pedometer or similar to track the steps you walk anyway - it all counts. So exercise by default - makes you feel a whole lot more virtuous!!

And smile - we feel better when we smile (and it takes more muscles so burns more calories!!)

all the best x
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I think you might need to read this... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

I've been "dieting" for practically my whole life, but now I know I'm doing it right, and even though it's taking what seems like forever, I know I just have to be patient with myself and I'll get to my goal. What type of exercises are you doing? If you're not doing strength exercises, that would help you become smaller, even if the scale isn't moving, as well as help burn a little more calories throughout the day. I exercise at home, and my favorite is Turbo Jam, which is kickboxing, Tai Kwon Do and capoeira moves with a little booty shaking. The music is great, too! There is a strength and ab workout included in the set, but even the cardio workout works your abs. I liked 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, also. They made me feel athletic! The key is to find something you enjoy. Dancing is a great idea, too. Once you get yourself into a regular routine, the possibilities are endless!
  • lunaliberi
    Options
    I've been doing a mixture of Walk Away the Pounds, and Brazilian butt lift. i've thought about turbo jam, I've heard a lot of good things about it.
    Its not so much dieting, as just trying to re train myself to eat RIGHT, instead of junk.
    Is turbo jam a lot like Tae Bo? I use to do that and thought about going back to it, I loved it.
    I've also thought about picking up 30 day shred, its on sale at Wal Mart right now, is it really worth the money?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Do you love Walk Away the Pounds? I used it when I first got back into trying to exercise and lose weight, but I wasn't in love with it. That's when I bought Turbo Jam. It's a little like Tae Bo, which I had bought years ago (did the 8 min workout and thought I was gonna die!) but I think it's more fun, and the music is better, plus there's nobody counting in the background. Chalene is very motivating, at least for me. I thought the Shred was worth the money, but you need to give your muscles a break, and a lot of people think they have to use it for 30 consecutive days. Jillian said on her radio show that it was meant to be done 4-5 days a week. I liked Ripped in 30 better, though. The time seemed to fly by with that one. I still have about 50 lbs to lose, so I don't "see" a big difference, except in my arms, and I can feel the muscles in my legs. Plus my pants are a lot looser! :smile:
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You are doing so great!

Go to the library or video rental store and try a few other workouts before your purchase. I don't like Jillian Michaels but you might. My favorite DVDs are Zumba, Amy Dixon (anything by her), Kelly Coffey-Meyers (anything in her 30 minute workout line). Turbo Jam is fun too!

Here's a website where you can see/try videos: http://healthysexyhappy.tumblr.com/moveyourassnow

Continue to be the model for your family. They may seem unsupportive but often people are frightened that you will change and not love them any more! My sister and I are dieting and my other sister and mom sometimes make weird comments, but I know it's because they think we see them as weak or bad for still being heavy. Not so and I show them all the love I have!
  • NicoleG_86
    NicoleG_86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Its not so much dieting, as just trying to re train myself to eat RIGHT, instead of junk.

This is THEE hardest part for me too. I come from a large Italian family that likes to eat! They don't understand my new eating habits and they don't make it easy for me either. What I have found though- is that they do not get to dictate my happiness and well being. If I want to be healthy and lose weight and feel better, I am the only person able to make that choice. And I am much happier when I eat right and exercise. For eating right, I find that if I tell myself it isn't forever- its easier. For example, the ladies in my office are constantly baking and it is hard for me to resist. Now I tell myself "They will bake this again. For today, I choose to eat healthy. This can wait." It seems to help a lot. I resist temptation with a little more ease.

I'm right there with ya. I understand how that feels. I can say that when I do exercise it makes me want to eat better so I don't ruin all the work I just did. I LOVE yoga and Tae Bo. You would be surprised how strong and lean Yoga will make you. I agree though, find an exercise you absolutely love and stick with it.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! You might want to try lifting weights to shrink the overall size of your body. You may not lose as many pounds, but you can definitely reduce your size! 2 months of good heavy lifting could do it. The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good system. I love walk away the pounds! It's really a great, fairly easy workout! Yoga is another great slimming workout too. It can help streamline your body. It's not easy to do heavy, but it really has helped me get a lot smaller. Another fun workout is bellydance! Anything bellydance superstars is great.

A book that might help you retrain your brain is "I can make you thin" by paul mckenna. It has dramatically helped me relearn my relationship with food. It seems kinda silly, but it really works well. And it's only 4 rules to live by! It's now out in paperback so it's not horribly expensive! It comes with a "hypnosis" cd, that really seems to help to. Another book for helping you change habits is called "Brain Lock." It can help you address more obsessive eating patterns, and break them too. I can't remember the author, but it really helped a lot of my self-confidence issues.

Hope something I've said helps!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    If you need help trying to eat better, check out Michi's Ladder. It's an excellent tool, and it's a free download. http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder Youtube is another option for finding new workouts, and they're free! I think you might be able to find parts of 30 Day Shred on there so you can watch it first. They might even have it at your library.
  • lunaliberi
    Options
    I don't "love" Walk away the pounds, but I like it quite a bit. its defiantly good for a starter.
    You have me interested in Turbo Jam on youtube.
    I have a friend who has 30 day shred, she offered to let me borrow it, I'll ask her once I think I can handle it without passing out from exertion.
    Youtube has actually been a big source of workouts for me, my favorite being the Yogatic channel so far.
  • lunaliberi
    Options
    Thank you for the link!
    And I'm trying to talk my family into making the change with me, especially since my dad is Diabetic.
    They are making small changes, and I'm hoping they continue too.
  • lunaliberi
    Options
    My family is largely Irish, and food is second only to air for them.
    Its hard because I love potatoes, and i know they are one of the worst things you can have on a diet. Almost every night its mashed potatoes, Colcannon, potato soup, etc. Its very hard to resist.
    My family wants me to lose weight, its hard for them to understand that means changing my eating habits.

I LOVE yoga! The yogatic channel on youtube is addictive. Its one of my biggest stress relievers.
    I know what you mean, if I work out in the mourning before work, it makes resisting temptingly bad food a HUNDRED times easier, but its hard because I often work so early I don't workout until after work. So I have all day to sit and think about what I WANT to eat, rather then what I should.
  • lunaliberi
    Options
    Its funny you should mention "I can make you thin." I've been looking at that on and off for a couple of weeks. Does it really work? I've heard a lot of good things about it.
    like i said before, I love yoga, I've been doing it since I was 3, with my mom when she was big into it. i stopped when I was 9, and am now getting back into it. I've been doing it seriously for a few weeks, and notice a huge difference in how I feel.
  • ashtonalayna
    Options
    Hello, we all have our down moments, and that's where friends come in (especially here on MfP :) to encourage you along the way. We all need it sometime or another. I jus got out of a week where I was thinking is it even worth the effort when you see hardly any results had it not been for my pals I probably would have given up. DON'T GIVE UP!! By the way we don't live that far from each other. I live in Etna Green which where I'm located is actually closer to Nappanee. Right now I'm doing Turbo Jam and I think tomorrow I'm going to restart Ripped in 30. Good luck on your journey, you can add me if you'd like!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend 30DS for losing inches whether you work out or not. You'll feel like dying afterwards no matter what lol. It's perfectly acceptable to go slow and there is a model for the "easier" version of exercises. However, the plus to it is that I went from baggy 20's straight into 16's after being able to handle only a mere week of 30DS and another month and a half of Zumba and other Wii dance games.

I need to get back to 30DS - it really is awesome even though I joke about how difficult it was. And I really was better at it by day 7 just like she said I would be.

BTW - potatoes aren't horrible. I love mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, potato salad. It isn't the potato itself that is bad, it is what people put on them. A medium russett potato is only 110 calories which makes it nice and filling with low calories. Throw some cheddar and broccoli on it and you have a decent lunch.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Yes, any of the Jillian Michaels DVDs are worth it and 30 Day Shred is a great place to start. Grab yourself some hand weights as well for the strength training portion (I would recommend starting with 5 lb weights). Watch your carb/sugar intake, drink lots of water, and do some cardio every day (of course listening to your body to prevent exhaustion or injury), and you should see results soon. Rather than depend solely on scale numbers, buy a tape measure and/or take lots of before, during, and after photos so you can have multiple measures of your progress.