It's simple, really!

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The simplest things are often quite difficult to accomplish.

It is simple for a procrastinator like me to just get things done. It's not easy though :P
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful and enlightening post! I started my journey in Janurary and the weight is coming off slowly, but inches are coming off much quicker! I eat within my calorie allotment and eat exercise calories. This is the best way even though it takes longer.
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    you hit the nail on the head. It is all about baby steps. you have a great out look. Diet is what we eat everyday. This is not a diet (and the word die is in it) this is a lifestyle. a conscious choice. I consciously pick my meals and put the food in my mouth. I make the choice to go for a walk. I make the choice to eat a whole pizza. It is my choice. No one has forced this on me.

Thanks for keeping it real and keeping it simple!
  • schwim
    schwim Posts: 65
    Options
    thanks for your post. it's very inspiring. :smile:
  • carolinenorthrup
    carolinenorthrup Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this because I felt like the only one that wasn't doing a crazy diet! I too have had success from just making simple lifestyle changes.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I'm referring to weightloss. The process of weightloss is simple.

Issues related to thought process which lead to bad behavior and in turn weight gain can be complicated. That isn't the point of this discussion. Or so everyone else thought..

The process of weight loss CAN be simple. It can also be quite complicated as bodies do actually work differently. And I'm sorry but you can't negate the other stuff when it comes to weight loss either. They go hand in hand.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

It's true that our bodies have subtle differences. Metabolisms are slower or faster. But these differences are subtle. You just can't eat less than you burn and not lose weight.

Usually the culprit when you're not losing weight is missed logs. It is SO very easy to miscalculate your calories when you try to eyeball it. Log everything, be honest with yourself. Get the mobile app. Scan things.

I was plateauing for a month and a half. You know what helped? It wasn't eating more. It was logging my weekend eating. I was eating back nearly every calorie I lost during the week, all because I suck at eyeballing portions.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Issues related to thought process which lead to bad behavior and in turn weight gain can be complicated. That isn't the point of this discussion. Or so everyone else thought..

The process of weight loss CAN be simple. It can also be quite complicated as bodies do actually work differently. And I'm sorry but you can't negate the other stuff when it comes to weight loss either. They go hand in hand.

It's true that our bodies have subtle differences. Metabolisms are slower or faster. But these differences are subtle. You just can't eat less than you burn and not lose weight.

Usually the culprit when you're not losing weight is missed logs. It is SO very easy to miscalculate your calories when you try to eyeball it. Log everything, be honest with yourself. Get the mobile app. Scan things.

I was plateauing for a month and a half. You know what helped? It wasn't eating more. It was logging my weekend eating. I was eating back nearly every calorie I lost during the week, all because I suck at eyeballing portions.

Cals burned requires a lot of guesswork. Cals consumed can also require a lot of guesswork, depending on the types of foods eaten. Its easy when all you ever eat is packaged foods, but hard when you eat out or have to measure whole food portions.

Then add in the body's resistance to weight loss where it slows down metabolism and causes psychological warfare against yourself to battle cravings...its by no means simple.
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    This website has made it really simple for me and has changed my life. I have learned how to control my eating by just paying attention, and I have learned that there is no quick fix. I grew up hearing all those quick weightloss commercials. Lose 10 lbs in a week! If I tried to lose weight in the past and I didn't lose at least 5 lbs I thought I failed and would go back to eating whatever I want. Now I have realized that 1 lb a week is great. There are 52 weeks in a year, and I now know that this time next year I am going to be at a way better place than I am now with only losing a lb a week and sometimes less.
  • candyastra
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this because I felt like the only one that wasn't doing a crazy diet! I too have had success from just making simple lifestyle changes.

Haha, I felt like that too! The simple lifestyle changes are the ones that will stick. Becuase it's about what you do for the long run, not for the present. I think that's why the fads fail.
  • candyastra
    Options
    This website has made it really simple for me and has changed my life. I have learned how to control my eating by just paying attention, and I have learned that there is no quick fix. I grew up hearing all those quick weightloss commercials. Lose 10 lbs in a week! If I tried to lose weight in the past and I didn't lose at least 5 lbs I thought I failed and would go back to eating whatever I want. Now I have realized that 1 lb a week is great. There are 52 weeks in a year, and I now know that this time next year I am going to be at a way better place than I am now with only losing a lb a week and sometimes less.

It's all in that positive frame of mind eh? Your first sentence is exactly how I feel. I've tried many different diets only to realize that eventually you have to come off them and I gained the weight back and then some! 1lb a week might not seem like much, but I'll take 52lb a year loss!!! Woohoo!! LOL. Think about it this way as well, the slower it is comming off, the more time the skin has to shrink. I can notice the difference in my skin and it is shrinking back. What does this mean for me? I don't have to shell out a few G's for a tummy tuck!!
  • candyastra
    Options
    I agree. My cousin is trying a new fad diet by taking drops and eating 500 cals per day fro 21 days. She got so mad at me when I told her the only way to really do this and be effective is watching calories and being sure to eat enough calories and exercise. Paying for the drops will do nothing.....its te 500 calories per day for 21 days!! Then what happens after that. Nobody can make it on 500 cals per day! People seem disapointed that the only way to really lose is what we all already know. If there were a miracle drug everyone would be skinny!

I have a few people around me who did this. They were very miserable for the whole time they were on it. One friend dropped 35lb. She was very sick and has since put it back on, plus more. She is more miserable now than when she started. I have another friend who was drinking a shake for breakfast and lunch. He decided he couldn't afford them anymore and is right back to square 1 as he didn't know how to portion and follow the food guide. Hopefully they'll make the right changes!!
  • candyastra
    Options
    And I just wanted to say, I had no intentions of working out today but your kind words and positive attitudes were just what I needed to get moving!!!! Thanks for being so awesome!!
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    I don't think it's really that simple. There are other factors besides eating right and exercise. I'm glad that it worked for you, but it demeans some of those people that truely do eat right and exercise and struggle.
    I struggle every day!
  • BlondeToast
    Options
    I actually think this is a fab post, it really is that simple, well said chick!
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Great post! Hooray for healthy lifestyle!
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If it were REALLY just that simple people wouldn't need websites like this for support. :drinker:
    I agree!
  • abeachlady
    Options
    Yes, I so agree, it is that simple. Not easy, but it is simple. Those who make it complicated, I think, are just not yet ready to make a lifestyle change..
  • BlondeToast
    Options

Cals burned requires a lot of guesswork. Cals consumed can also require a lot of guesswork, depending on the types of foods eaten. Its easy when all you ever eat is packaged foods, but hard when you eat out or have to measure whole food portions.

Then add in the body's resistance to weight loss where it slows down metabolism and causes psychological warfare against yourself to battle cravings...its by no means simple.

Sounds like you need a HRM and a food scale. It's not "guesswork".
  • CJToo_Tracy
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post -- I can totally get what you are saying and the ones who left a negative comment just don't get what you mean -- that's ok -- we do! :wink:
    -Tracy
  • SandyChampWins
    SandyChampWins Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If it were REALLY just that simple people wouldn't need websites like this for support. :drinker:

It is that simple.

if it were that simple, I mean really that simple and didn't come down to psychological barriers, physical barriers, mis- education/ mis information, etc. etc. there would be NO need for myfitnesspal.