people who have had success by upping their calories!

Options
anyone?(: i recently decided to up my calories and wanted to see success from other people..if you have pictures i'd love to see your progress but if not then just comment your story!(:

i got the idea from this thread:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

if anyone else wants to do it with me.. friend me and we can support eachother!(:

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of upping my calories. I increased them last week. Staying patient for now.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I started last week and am up 4 pounds this week. Will hang on 2 more weeks to see if my body adjusts as they say it will. If not I am going back down to the 1200 calories I was initially on.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I upped calories twice, the first time from 1200 to 1400. I am 5'7" and wanted to die at 1200 calories...far too little food for me. The second time was for the last 15 pounds I set MFP at a 0.5 lb/week loss which gave me about 1500 calories.

Both times kept the weight moving and it worked for me. You shouldn't be afraid to eat, and here is why: You are still eating in a calorie deficit. Maintenance calories - 500 calories per day is a 1 lb/week loss. Maintenance calories - 250 calories per day is a 0.5 lb/week loss. Do the math! As long as you log accurately, you'll be fine.

Your body will take a while to adjust if you weren't eating enough, so give it a few weeks to fluctuate then reassess.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've upped mine twice now, from 1200 to 1320, now i'm at 1560, which according to MFP is my maintenance level, I just went to that on Friday so we'll see in a few weeks. A lot of people told me to calculate my TDEE which is around this so i'm curious to see how it goes.
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i'm making it where i dont have a net under 1200.. i usually burn 300-600 calories a day depending on how tired i am..i'm also trying to tone up.. to burn fat i've heard you need to eat about your BMR so hopefully i have success with this(:
  • kimberly2578
    Options
    I started with 1200 and wasn't losing anything. I went up to 1680 and realized I still was eating too little. So now, I'm at 1800 and finally losing!! :)
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    My goal is 1300 but it is more of a guideline because I do not focus on the number. Sometimes I net that much but most of the time I net more. I just eat if I am hungry and do not focus on a number, I really try to listen to my body and have mainly been netting 15-1600. My BMR is 1380 so I usually stay at least above that. It works for me, I started doing it about 1 month ago when I started lifting. The pics are on my profile, the 2nd picture from each set is from 1 month ago, and the last pic from each set is from the other day. If I am hungry then I eat, if not then I do not.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 1200 for like 9 months to between 1800-2000 per day, and I have lost almost 48lbs. I run 4-5 days per week and lift with a trainer 2 times a week, and I eat at least half of my exercise calories. It's amazing that the closer I get, and the more weight I lose, the more I have to eat to continue losing. It works!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I had a 10 day long "eat whatever I want, whenever I want" and I broke through my plateau and lost 1.5 pounds....

it works.
  • rolyprince
    rolyprince Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I upped mine last week after several people advised me that it would help break my plateau. I was up when I weighed this morning so I'm a little nervous but I'm willing to weight a while to see what happens. :-/
  • Jovette42
    Jovette42 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I was VERY bad in my calorie intake and now I'm doing so much better (after 75 days with MFP) I think once you know your BMI than make that your min at least. I hope this helps.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Yup. I eat about 2200-2500/day. I used to eat 1400.
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 1200 for like 9 months to between 1800-2000 per day, and I have lost almost 48lbs. I run 4-5 days per week and lift with a trainer 2 times a week, and I eat at least half of my exercise calories. It's amazing that the closer I get, and the more weight I lose, the more I have to eat to continue losing. It works!

did you eat 1800 PLUS half of your exercise calories?
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I started at 1300 calories, then hit a pleateau halfway through. Did some reserach, found out that I was eating below my BMR which does more damage than good so I immediately upped it to 1600 calories and I lost the rest of my weight on that amount PLUS eating my exercise calories.

Basically, just eat above your BMR and below you AMR. Keep those organs functioning and keep that muscle from breaking down.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I lost 17lbs in 5 weeks by upping my calories to 2000. I've also learned that I can easily lose in the 2100-2200 net range and can easily maintain in the 2300-2500 net range.

For those who've upped their calories and saw a gain, it is normal. Your body is adjusting to getting more food. Don't give up. Eventually your body will realize what is going on (you're getting adequate nutrition) and will start losing.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I upped mine from 1220 to 1420 last Thursday, and I am down 4 pounds! :) I'll do it with you!!!!
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Just upped my calories so I net around 1700 daily. I eat anywhere from 1900 to 2400 calories a day depending on my workout.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I am very active I do need more calories. I try and let my appetite be my guide. I am always surprised when I spend a week or two really towing the line with food and exercise and lose only a lb or two. Then I spend 2 days relaxed eating (still good but more) and I drop another lb!

Really try to let my appetite be my guide!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was silly biggining my journey at under 1000kcal, thinking it was right, now im on 1200 minumum (i try) and I have dropped half a stone :)
    HOPEFULLY these images will not be a 'violation' this time and ill be allowed them posted! Older ones were removed due to underwear... I have no other before picture so i hope im allowed this as new pic is bikini!

260312front.jpg
    260312side.jpg
    260312back.jpg

I eat 3-4 meals a day and include loads of protein, eggs, poultry, veg, etc :)

Good luck!