people who have had success by upping their calories!

Options

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I was set at 1200 calories, but the weight was coming off very slow and just upped mine a week ago to 1400. I saw a 1 lb weight loss which was normal. I have a desk job so I am sedentary and am only active when I work out 4 or 5 times a week (if that). I'm gonna stay at 1400 for a couple more weeks to see if I get better results.
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    you look fabulous!(: amazing job!!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I was at 1800 in January and was at a plateau. I upped to 2400 on 2/8/12. I haven't lost a ton of weight, only 1 lb, but have lost almost 2" in waist and over 1% body fat. It works!
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've been upping my calories by 100 for the past month, my food intake is between 1200-1300 now, goal to net at BMR, though right now I'm just working on getting my food intake to my BMR! Scales-wise was doing fine until this week, now haven't lost for a week but I feel that there other reasons for this (aside from the fact that it isn't untypical of me not to lose anything for a week on far far less).

I'll add you :) Even though, as I say, there really are good reasons for me not losing weight this week (PMS) and sometimes this happens, I'm still getting a little nervous. I figure though if I can't lose at 1200-1300 when I don't eat back my exercise calories then something's wrong and whatever that something is won't benefit from reducing my calories, so I might have to put up with maintaining for a long while yet! I'm going to stick with it - as much as I want to lose weight, I want to be healthy as well. I've had a very bad diet for a good few years (and over a year I wouldn't go over 900 calories) so I need to sort my body and attitude out as a priority.

Wish the scales would budge a little, though... :)
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    When I hit a plateau I upped mine from 1200 to 1400/1500 for two weeks. I lost 3lbs in that 2 weeks. I then set it at 1300 and have continued to lose weight at an average of 1lb per week. I eat back most of my exercise calories. When I hit another plateau I will do the same again.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I upped my base calories from 1240 to 1440 around 2/1, and have lost 10 pounds in that time. I was already in my healthy weight range. I generally eat back all my exercise calories. I usually end up a little under my goal for the week, but am usually netting over at least 1300.
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MelanieL1984
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • kaitlynnrogers
    Options
    I upped my base calories from 1240 to 1440 around 2/1, and have lost 10 pounds in that time. I was already in my healthy weight range. I generally eat back all my exercise calories. I usually end up a little under my goal for the week, but am usually netting over at least 1300.

good job!(: i'm in the healthy weight too i just want to tone up but drop a few pounds along the way!(:
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'4" and 132 lbs, I upped mine to 1640 last week and increased them to 1750 today! I think one of the points of eating more calories is to create a slower, healthier weight loss with less muscle lost. And of course eating more makes this way easier to stick with long term! 1750 still gives me a 250 cal def daily (a 1/2 lb week loss). :)
  • sweetie1975
    sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories towards the end of the week last week. I was trying to stay around 1350 but that is too low for me. I upped it 1500 but that might even be too low. Although I do plan on eating back my exercise calories. I burn anywhere from 300-700 on a daily average.

Any thoughts on where I should be calorie wise? 5'2, 166/167, 31 yrs old?
  • kaitlynnrogers
    Options
    I upped my calories towards the end of the week last week. I was trying to stay around 1350 but that is too low for me. I upped it 1500 but that might even be too low. Although I do plan on eating back my exercise calories. I burn anywhere from 300-700 on a daily average.

Any thoughts on where I should be calorie wise? 5'2, 166/167, 31 yrs old?

are you trying to tone up or lose weight? i just recommend eating AT LEAST your BMR..and have a net minimum of 1200..below 1200 you're body will go into starvation mode!
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I lost 17lbs in 5 weeks by upping my calories to 2000. I've also learned that I can easily lose in the 2100-2200 net range and can easily maintain in the 2300-2500 net range.

For those who've upped their calories and saw a gain, it is normal. Your body is adjusting to getting more food. Don't give up. Eventually your body will realize what is going on (you're getting adequate nutrition) and will start losing.

I've recently upped my calories to mainenance (2160) and haven't gained, but thought maybe not eating back my exercise calories would help. Have you been eating back your exercize calories?
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You may want to check this group out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day

They'll also give you great advice and everyone is very helpful and nice. :)
  • adoreabella
    Options
    I had to increase my calories too. When I was keeping it at 1000-1200 net I was gaining! I talked to my trainer and he told me to keep it around 1600, which I have been doing and it is working. My body does not like being starved I guess :)
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I got these results in 2 1/2 months by eating 6-7 meals, and 1700-1900 cals/day on average. My first couple of weeks I tried that 1200 calorie stuff, and I've never been so cranky and miserable. I'm 5' 7", and I've lost 3 lbs since the "during" picture (currently 149), and I will lose about 15 more. I will do it by EATING and training hard. Others may choose a different path and that's fine, but I feel FANTASTIC eating like this, and I can maintain this forever! LOVE IT!!

152lbsphotobucketbackview-1.jpg
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have upped your calorie intake to 1800 or more, are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    I upped mine from 1290 to 1540 last week and dropped 2 lbs after not losing for 3 months. I also upped my work out intensity, so that probably helped too. Its all trial and error, what works for some people might not work for you, but it has worked well for me. I'm taking it slow and trying to be realistic with my weight loss and exercise goals. My best advice is to make goals that you can stick with. Good Luck!