Strenght Training at Home???

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    BUMP love this thread, not to be taken out of context, but all the amazing things you can do with your body, lol :tongue:
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Netflix did not occur to me! Will look there as I would like to try Pilates...
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Check out this book called You Are Your Own Gym. It's all about strength training with body weight exercises. Pretty much all of the exercises work your core muscles (abs and back). My wife and I just finished week 1 of the beginner program and we're both very, very sore all over. But we also feel stronger after just a week.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332778217&sr=8-1

I also highly recommend this book. There are hundreds of exercises so you won't get bored, several exercise routines if you don't want to pick & choose your own, good "how tos" for beginners up to advanced. As you get stronger, the author offers suggestions for each exercise to add weight using household items (a jug of water, a backpack with books, etc.) I travel a ton, and I never leave home without this book.
  • wlgreen379
    wlgreen379 Posts: 104
    Options
    NerdFitness.com. This guy is all about body weight exercises, especially for beginners.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've found the Ana Caban beginner pilates DVD with resistance band to be good for strength training. You can find it at Gaiam.com or Amazon.

good luck!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    www.burnthefat.com looks a good website & has the best reviews, but cost £25 and you need to buy equipment. and i'v heard the 'new rules of lifting for woman' book is good (£8.85 from amazon). there are also a ton of kettle ball workout dvd's out there. have you decided what to do from the advice given? i'm starting working with weights this week but don't know where to begin :huh:
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I used things around my house. Laundry Detergant bottles (i filled my empties with water at first & slowly have been adding sand to make them heavier as I go). I do arm curls while doing the stairs. I look like a fool but, it's also in the privacy of my own house so I don't care. I figure it's a double burn...lol.

Using a chair I place my hands on the seat & lift myself off. Tightens your core muscles. There are many exercise you can do with just a chair & your body. For examples you can check out this site: http://www.livestrong.com/article/19179-abdominal-exercises-using-chairs/

I have a hill in my back yard and I have a one year old sun who loves to ride in a wagon. I walk pulling him down the hill (trying to keep the wagon behind me) and run up the hill pulling the wagon behind me.

Be creative & use your body & things you have around your house. Good luck :smile:
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Annie_Oakley
    Options
    I'm wondering if Pilates would fall into this category?
    I'm new to it too:)
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! Get the Chalean Extreme program, and some select tech dumbells if you can afford them. I am in month 3 of the program, and I LOVE the changes it has made to my body!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You can do body weight training at home. Plus cans and water bottles can make great weights.

^^^^ this^^^^

Use your body weight...and canned good..you will be amazed...
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You can get decent results with bodyweight training, especially at the start.
    but at the minimum I'd invest in a set of DBs and a pullup bar.
    it's well worth the money in the end, achieving goals and being happy with your progress is something you can't put a price on.
    I've invested well over 1000 dollars into my home gym in the last 6 months, and it's been worth every penny
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lbcruzin
    lbcruzin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Teambeachbody has some amazing workouts you can do at home. Depending on your level of fitness, you can do Les Mills Pump, P90X, Insanity Asylum (more total body core training), and more. You can join for free and check out the programs they have. They changed my life a few years ago. You can join and check out the products here: http://bit.ly/95x7rk
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As you see from the earlier posts, you can work in strength training using your own body weight - you can also buy some dumb bells- they are only $1/pound. For great strength training home programs, try "Power 90" or "P90X" (a little more intense than Power 90), see www.beachbody.com. Good luck!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do crunches, pushups, triceps dips on my couch, wall sits, side leg raises (lay on your side and lift that leg!) There are also all kinds of suggestions in magazines like "Self" and "shape" for tummy, leg, arm, etc, toning. You can find light weight hand weights, resistance bands and so on at stores like Walmart for relatively cheap, and some come with little booklets full of workout suggestions. If you are a walker/runner, I found some lightweight handweights that have little straps on them. You pump your arms, and you have some extra toning to go with your workout. :):flowerforyou:
  • Lori1472
    Lori1472 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Try:
    www.Bodyrock.tv
    and ZWOW videos on the Youtube channel.

The best thing about Bodyrock is that yes you can use weights, but for a lot of the exercises you can use your own bodyweight (calisthenics) which is AMAZING!

Here is a link to an article all about it and to some great workout vids on YOUTUBE that are free:
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/10-reasons-why-you-need-try-bodyrocktv
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/10-best-workout-videos-youtube