went on an 11 day cruise and lost weight (no kidding)

Options
I just came back from a 6 weeks trip to Florida. It started with an 11 day cruise to the carribbean and I was worried that I would pack on the pounds...........all that food everywhere. So, my husband and I decided that we would NEVER take the elevator (except on formal nights where I surely would have tumbled down the stairs as I'm not that used to high heels and long dresses lol). I resisted the urge to go for seconds and made good choices. Walked the deck everyday and did yoga and tai-chi as it was free.

We then spent some weeks alone where we walked everyday at least 4 miles and the last two weeks, we were joined by our grandsons ages 16 and 14 as well as one of their friends aged 15. We went to Disneys Blizzard Beach, Bush Garden Tampa etc.....and kept up with them.

Upon my return, I was delighted to notice that I had lost nearly 3 pounds....So, my guess is: portion control and exercise do work and it does not have to be stuff at the gym all the time. Running around all day with the grandkids works really well too.

Replies

• quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    That's so great to hear! and so inspiring for those taking vacations! Thank you for sharing this :)
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Huge accomplishment! Especially considering the 24-hour all-you-can-eat buffets and limitless mai thai drinks, waitresses refilling your sodas, and every other temptation you encounter while on vacation!
  • bellanoelle
    bellanoelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    That is really great! There's hope for my cruise in November!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Congrats...I think its all about making wise choices..and if you do indulge..work it off..We are going on a family cruise next October...I do plan to eat..but I also plan to workout...
  • xcrmonger
    xcrmonger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm going on a cruise with friends in October. I'm excited. 2 of the 3 friends are fitness freaks, and I checked out the boat we are going on... it's got a full gym!
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow that is awesome! Congrats on keeping the focus!
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I lose weight every time I vacation. More time in the day to get in a workout.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Great to hear, I'm going on a cruise in April and I'm so scared I'm going to gain weight......thanks for giving me hope :)
  • Pashen4fit
    Options
    WoW I am going on one July and then another in Nov I hope I can lose I usally gain about 2lbs LOL
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    That's gr8 im always worrying about putting on weight when going on vacation!!! congrats to you
  • brown0928
    brown0928 Posts: 49
    Options
    Great job. Cruises are definitely dangerous with all the yummy foods! Good job!!!!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I think I normally lose weight too since I'm actually more active on vacation then I am in every day life! WTG!
  • raerox25
    raerox25 Posts: 3
    Options
    That's so awesome! I am going to FL in a month to get married and then Hawaii in May for our honeymoon. I really hope I can find the time to get in some workouts and make smart food choices while I'm on vacation!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job. That's amazing!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Doing Tai Chi and Yoga on your cruise sounds about a gazillion times better than stuffing your face! You must have felt so rejuvenated!

I didn't even know it was POSSIBLE to not gain weight on a cruise! lol That's why I've never looked into them. But if there is free Tai Chi and Yoga - I might give it another look! Haha! ;D

Well done!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    great work!
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is great news :) I must admit I'm a little nervous about gaining weight next month when we go to Hawaii. We generally don't eat much while we are there as we are in the water snorkeling most of the day. I'm planning to do extra walking and excited to walk out to the volcano at sunset again. My concern is not eating enough so I'm gonna have to try and get some extra calories in somehow.
  • DLaurin1
    DLaurin1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good for you! My wife and experienced a similar thing when we went cruising... no elevators and walked alot. Lost 2 pounds!:smokin:
  • mrselanco2268
    mrselanco2268 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow that is awesome and impressive. I went on a 7 day cruise some years ago and gained 7 pounds. Great job!:happy:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Nice work!

I maintained my weight on a recent 10-day Mexico trip.......it wasn't all-inclusive, but we certainly ate well. Shrimp and lobster and banana pancakes and churros and gelato......well, the list goes on!

But what DID we do? Lots of walking. Some snorkeling and swimming. Only ate two meals a days (with some minimal snacks), but did drink some adult beverages most days, and just had a GREAT time!

It can be done. Eat and drink the things you REALLY like, and move..................but also remember, you are on vacation, so don't obsess about it!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!