How do YOU get through 30 min on treadmill, eliptical, etc?

Options
124»

Replies

• Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I "used to" watch Seinfeld same time everyday I would hop on my bike and watch 2 episodes of Seinfeld. As much as I like the show I found my pace slowing down the more into the show I got. So I stopped doing it...

Now I am more into Quality (intensity of the exercise) Versus Quantity (time spent doing it). I listen to Pandora and do HIIT biking - Intervals keeps me into what I am doing and 100% focused on the exercise. I burn more calories doing my high intensity biking for short periods of time then my low-medium speed biking that I was doing before. PLUS with it being shorter exercises I can fit them into my schedule better. :smile: LOVE my stationary bike... Hoping I can get a treadmill soon to start doing Interval training with that as well.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I normally do an hour on the elliptical at a time. I don't dread. It's part of my "me" time at the gym. I'm constantly interrupted at work all day and at home - it's exhausting. The elliptical is the only really "me" time I get. I just plug in my ear buds and turn on the tv at the gym and zone out for an hr. and before I know it, I'm dripping in sweat and the 60 minutes is over.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I also like to stare at people...creepy i know. BUt i like to sit and think "one day I'm going to have her body" The cardio machines are in the most busy part of the rec centre, so I can people watch until my little heart's content
  • LesClaire
    Options
    I listen to music - pandora or iheartradio - usually Rob Zombie Radio (-:
  • Lotus1026
    Lotus1026 Posts: 49
    Options
    what i do is bring a hand towel and put it over the time area an just listen to my playlist until i get distracted and finally look at the time. but there are other times i will grab a magazine and just flip though it to kill time.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    the best advice is...

do not look at the time. just focus on the burn and you will get there.

I start off at 15 minutes and then push for 5 minutes more each time . eventually you will hit your goal.

your goal should be intensity not minutes. 10 minutes at your highest intensity is way better than 30 minutes at mid/low intensity.

just push hard and fast as long as you can and your endurance will build.

Sorry, but that is actually the worst advice. That's a recipe for injury for sure..
  • melpap12
    melpap12 Posts: 50
    Options
    High energy music is a must for me. I found some really good websites and apps that have great mixes expecially for running and working out.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I listen to my iPod and run, letting my mind wander - Though, I run outside instead of on the treadmill. It's a bit more entertaining to see different backgrounds instead of the same wall.
  • melpap12
    melpap12 Posts: 50
    Options
    If I'm inside on a treadmill or whatever, I HAVE to do intervals. I crank my ipod up and do intervals or make a game out of it, otherwise I'm bored to death and want to stop before I've finished a decent workout. I'll make it a game, like "Ok I'm gonna do 2 minutes as fast as I possible can, then 2 minutes to cool down, then 2 minutes on as high of as incline as I can..." etc. It breaks up the monotony. Oh, and Wheel of Fortune is usually on by the time I get to the gym, so if I'm on the stairmaster or treadmill, I seriously play the entire game. I occasionally catch myself yelling out answers at the gym...it gets awkward.

When I'm outside running on the trail, man I can just go forever (well, until I'm out of breath and exhausted anyway). I put on my headphones (not very loud outside, gotta be aware of my surroundings) and I just lose myself. We have this beautiful running trail that goes through the middle of the city around a section of the river and it's just so serene and peaceful, I seriously just lose track of time.

When I finish the c25k program, Im going to have to try this. I love the idea of intervals. How fast do you run on the treadmill?
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I always cover the monitor on the treadmill so that I can't pay attention to time or anything, and then I put on whatever show sounds the best right then from my DVR. But instead of fast-forwarding through the commercials, I try to run as fast/long as I can. My version of C25K I guess haha. Works well for me :)
  • Stevearoonie
    Stevearoonie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have found music plays a key part in my ability to get past the timer and focus on getting the job done. I just recently started back on an exercise program, and I'm focusing more on cardio to try and burn the spare the off of my hips as quickly as possible. Also visualizing myself on a 1/4 mile track finishing up that last lap makes it easier for me. Thanks for the thread!
  • CatFish0206
    Options
    ESPN
  • mrsfurby14
    mrsfurby14 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I watch tv, and listen and listen to my music that gets me motivated.
  • agibson0430
    agibson0430 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If I'm inside on a treadmill or whatever, I HAVE to do intervals. I crank my ipod up and do intervals or make a game out of it, otherwise I'm bored to death and want to stop before I've finished a decent workout. I'll make it a game, like "Ok I'm gonna do 2 minutes as fast as I possible can, then 2 minutes to cool down, then 2 minutes on as high of as incline as I can..." etc. It breaks up the monotony. Oh, and Wheel of Fortune is usually on by the time I get to the gym, so if I'm on the stairmaster or treadmill, I seriously play the entire game. I occasionally catch myself yelling out answers at the gym...it gets awkward.

When I'm outside running on the trail, man I can just go forever (well, until I'm out of breath and exhausted anyway). I put on my headphones (not very loud outside, gotta be aware of my surroundings) and I just lose myself. We have this beautiful running trail that goes through the middle of the city around a section of the river and it's just so serene and peaceful, I seriously just lose track of time.

I agree - doing intervals makes the time fly by - that and some upbeat tunes on the iPod.