Wheatbelly...? Wheat, the UNHEALTHY wholegrain?!

Options

Replies

• boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just started seeing a nutritionist.I've already lost 58 pounds before talking to her. She wants me to try eating gluten free. I have read alot about how grains are NOT that healthy for us so I will let you know how it goes.

If you aren't a diagnosed celiac then gluten free will just be an unproductive pain in the *kitten*. Get a new nutritionist that will help you with your diet instead of feeding you the latest fad BS.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I just started seeing a nutritionist.I've already lost 58 pounds before talking to her. She wants me to try eating gluten free. I have read alot about how grains are NOT that healthy for us so I will let you know how it goes.

If you aren't a diagnosed celiac then gluten free will just be an unproductive pain in the *kitten*. Get a new nutritionist that will help you with your diet instead of feeding you the latest fad BS.

I agree! Jeez, I feel like the gluten free craze has replaced the Atkins hullabaloo from the late1990s, which replaced the fat free craze of the early 1990s...

You will feel better going gluten free if you have a gluten allergy or gluten intolerance. If you are like me and not bothered by gluten, eliminating it doesn't make a difference at all. I must say, I do love following the diet fads of what the current "evil ingredient" du jour is.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I got fat because I ate too much. Not because I ate a piece of whole grain toast every morning.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you are allergic or sensitive to wheat (gluten) you can get bloating as well as other symptoms. Otherwise, enjoy whole wheat in moderation like all other foods!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I believe that this is 100% true. I've eliminated all wheat and grains, and I've never been healthier, or happier, and I don't feel deprived AT ALL. I just posted my one-year success story, if you'd like to see the visual effects of living without wheat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539836-one-year-146-3-pounds-lost-with-photos

:)
    Amy
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Some people are allergic to gluten, just like some people can't handle dairy. I also kind of think that this gluten free stuff is kind of a fab like no/low Calories was were EVERYTHING seems to be gluten free now.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    More and more people are gluten intolerant, myself included. I can't eat wheat. If I do, I am in pain with gas, cramps and bloating. there are numerous other side effects I won't go into here.

I do believe that genetic engineering is at the root of the huge increase in those who cannot tolerate wheat but if you are not one of them, enjoy eating wheat. It is not easy eating gluten free and not cheap. Wheat has a lot of good vitamins in it if you eat the whole grain. I still feed my kids and husband whaet products regularly and drool over their pizza because mine is just not the same ... sigh

That said, if they keep genetically changing our foods soon we may find that no one can eat it any longer :-P
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much of it really is bad for us but you can go to wikipedia and read about the evolution of wheat. what was grown in the fertile crescent 5,000 years ago is not what we consume today. Those wheats had much more protein and very little gluten in them. There are still grains today that are more or less the same such as oats and barley. I try to stick with those if possible, but I will admit I LOVE wheat bread.
  • terikhamdamov
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 “Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. "

If it's good enough for the Lord, it's good enough for me. :)

LOVE IT!
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    My nutritionist ran blood tests on me. I learned I was wheat, dairy, corn, and soy intolerant, as well as other food intolerences. I spent a year eating very carefully, avoiding the foods that bothered me. Mainly, I was trying to avoid inflammation. My joints stopped constantly hurting. After the year, I gradually added back foods, to see what I could tolerate. I now eat everything in moderation. Sometimes my allergies flare, or my joints ache. Then I look at what I have been eating, and cut back. In general, I eat a big variety of grains, because I think they are healthy in moderation. You can find amaranth, quinoa, millet, etc. at your health food store, and follow package directions to prepare them. I use them in place of wheat based foods. I also use common foods like white and brown rice, corn tortillas, rice cakes, instead of bread. There are good pastas made from rice and/or corn. You can make cornbread with all corn flour. I find that when I choose a lot of variety, I don't suffer joint pain and a runny nose. Whole grains have B vitamins, a nutrient I found helpful to keep my moods pleasant. As far as the book, remember, controversy sells books, and today's "good" foods will be tomorrows "awful" foods. Too much of anything is not good for you. If I had lost a lot of weight during the 'year of deprivation', I would have kept it up. But, no, my weight didn't budge much, so eating a variety of foods and using MFP to control portions is what works for me.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Most people who have celiac disease don't know they have it. In many cases it is silent or presents with symptoms other than bloating, digestive issues, and weight loss. It can affect every system in your body. I had no idea I was celiac. We cleared gluten out of the house for DS (who is adopted) and when my husband and I ate away from home and away from DS and had gluten, we discovered that we were both sensitive to it as well.

I cannot tolerate wheat or any grains (members of the grass family). My son and my dad are sensitive to more than just the gluten grains as well. Dad can't have corn or sorghum. DS can have corn in small amounts, but likes to overdo it.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where everyone here is from, but from what I can tell, in America, Celiac disease is VERY uncommon. But in Europe, particularly Italy and Scandinavian roots, it is an extremely common disease. Since most Americans are from general European roots, I would say it's likely more than 1 out of 133 people have this disease. Where I'm from, I think the ratio is 1 out of 10 people. Gluten can cause migraines, general tummy troubles, joint pains, and pretty much anything else as Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease and your autoimmune system functions throughout your body. That's why each of us gets affected differently. Whole grains definitely DO help the human body out, but sometimes they cause problems too, just like any other food can. Wheat, rye, and barely all have gluten in them, but they are not unhealthy. The same way some people cannot have oranges due to the acidity, or some cannot have milk. They are not unhealthy, but some people just can't accomodate them.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I started Paleo, I discovered that I was gluten intolerant, because I felt so, so much better! I don't eat wheat anymore. I eat other grains on rare occasions. I feel ten years younger.

There's really no need to argue about it (or base opinions on NOT having read the book, that's just odd). Just try it for 30 days, and see how you feel. If you feel better, keep doing it. If it makes no difference to you, go back to eating wheat. No big deal.
  • sweetcaroline04
    Options
    I haven't seen it, but the documentary of the same name is on Netflix Instant right now.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    My Dad was a diagnosed coeliac 8 years ago and my son 4 years ago...I don`t have the problem.

Gluten causes really bad prblems for them and has hospitalised my Dad when he has been out for dinner and the chef has said the sauce is gluten free and it turns out it isn`t.

But IMO if you feel going gluten free helps you then why not go with it?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    The wheat we eat today is a GMO grain. So is corn. Both need man's intervention to grow. They cannot grow on their own therefore they are no longer a natural food. And whole wheat bread is just brown flour. There is no difference between that and white.

Plus, the amounts we are told to get them aren't so good either. Since when did grains become more important than fruits and veggies? My research helped me realize that grains are an optional food for most of us and completely bad for some of us, too.

I removed grains when I went Primal. It was an experiment. Every digestive issue I've had to deal with in my life (from one end to the other) disappeared withing weeks of going Primal (also backed off all that "healthy" fiber and can now go to the bathroom on a daily basis). I got a flat belly for the first time in my life - I didn't get this from the 1st 10lbs I loss, or P90X, or restricting calories. I hit a weight I haven't seen since before puberty (109lbs. I was 136lb when I was 14 and never saw below 120 as an adult until Primal Blueprint). And there is nothing "heart-healthy" about them. They don't help your heart any. They are also incomplete protein. They also contain "anti-nutrients" which are mineral binders. They inhibit your body's absorption of nutrients. Since removing grains (and beans) from my diet I no longer get cavities (I have 5 crowns, I've had 2 root canals and just about every dental appointment I have ever had I've had to deal with decay and cavities...until I went Primal). My dental hygeine hasn't changed.

And just because you add some whole grain to a high sugar cereal doesn't mean it is now "heart-healthy".

And then there's all the people now dealing with gluten-intolerance and celiac disease. Funny how those issues have increased as the gluten in grains have increased - from the genetic alterations done to it by man. More than 90% of the grocery store sells products that contain wheat.

I'll take bacon and eggs over oatmeal and toast anyday. And my body is now healthier because of this.

And I agree, try it for yourself (google "carb flu" though. Going cold turkey and removing the majority of carbs from your diet will give you "withdrawl" symptoms like stopping a drug. And make sure to get eat plenty of healthy fats (not industrial PUFAs; try saturated) so your body can use that for energy. Eventually your body will completely transition over to burning fat constantly (and not just when you sleep) and you might be surprised at how you start to feel).
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 “Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. "

LOVE IT!

from what I understand God rejected Cain's offering of bread and accepted Abel's offering of a fat lamb.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Everything in moderation...including moderation.

The key isn't moderation, it's balance. That is what the human body's sole goal is...homeostasis. Harmonic balance of all the systems in the body.

the one thing I don't "moderate" is my fat intake. And I can't gain weight now.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Careful! If you read that passage in it's entirety, it says the bread is to baked over human dung. :smile: Still, the Ezekial 4:9 bread from the store is pretty tasty.

I know for myself that I don't metabolize wheat very well at all. So for now I'm staying away from it and feel great. I don't think carbs are bad for most people, but for me I seriously pack on the weight when I eat carbs.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    "SO, what do you think on all of this? Personally, I don't necessarily believe the negativity he links to wheat...I mean, it does have fiber, and has other benefits. "

I just heard about this book yesterday. Wheat is totally not like it used to be, and never before has there been such a dependancy on this instead of other more nutritious grains and legumes. Yes, it has fiber, but that doesn't make it the best choice for fiber.

HAVE YOU deducted wheat from your diet? And do you see/feel any difference? Again, personally, I consider this to be a last stop decision down the line for me, just to see the negatives, and positives to this lifestyle alteration/change."

I dropped wheat, corn, rice, and potato plus refined sugars from my diet while pregnant for the last few months to maintain healthy blood sugars. I then dropped 10 pounds of EXTRA water weight I didn't need for the baby in the first 2 weeks. I then began to gain the weight I had been unable to gain for the first 7 months due to nausea. It was absolutely awesome. I was totally healthy and my midwife couldn't have been happier. I continued to eat like that for several more months and in nine months was fifteen pounds under pre-pregnancy weight. I'm trying to bring myself to do it again, perhaps more modified this time though.

I'm surprised that you are so certain without even trying it for a little while. The first two weeks suck. Then all of a sudden unhealthy cravings are gone and replaced with the desire for the good stuff. An added bonus I found was that without all the starch calories, I could eat a steak covered in butter and veggies in cream sauce and be guilt free, and feel amazing!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Ezekiel bread is made from sprouted grains, which is different than the processed loaves of bread you find in the store that are made from GMO grains, then added salt and sugar in way higher amounts than is necessary for a good bread.