Too much fat

Options
I posted last night on high calorie *healthy* breakfasts, and based on people's awesome suggestions, I started today and have also planned out some meals for later in the week.

The problem? My fat intake is WAY over. I'm struggling as it is to meet my calorie intake, and feel like I'd have to reduce my calories to meet my fat goals (I know that's wrong, but this is why I'm posting, basically to see *why* it's wrong!).

The extra fat is coming from the following:

1) Natural yoghurt
2) Avocado
3) Peanut Butter
4) Brown bread
5) Eggs with yolks
6) Cheese
7) Semi-skimmed milk

There is some "bad" fat in there, for example vegetarian sausages and a shop-bought butter nut squash but cutlet, but there's no fat from, like, McDonalds stuff, fried bacon, chocolate, or cake or anything (well, there has been once or twice, but when I go over on my fat because of that I accept it and don't make a habit of it).

So, my question is basically this - if I get my fat from these sources but I meet my calorie goals, is this bad? My daily calorie goal is 1443 (my BMR, which I'm aiming to meet), so my fat goal is 32. With my extra meal / calories plan, I am over by between 13 - 43.

Replies

• boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't bad. Not even a little bit. It's very common to replace carbs with fat. If you need fat to keep up your calories, then eat fat?

Why do you think you shouldn't eat fat?
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    Im having the exact same problem.. Them red numbers get me down but i need to eat things to get to my calorie count so which is more important?
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Look at the types of fat these foods contain. Monounsaturated is GOOD. Saturated is bad. Transfat is bad. I'm unsure of polyunsaturated.....
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    Dont sweat it, I've felt better and seen more results eating more fat, I reckon I must go over daily
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There's good fat and there's bad fat. What you listed there is definitely nothing to worry about. If you really want to reduce it, you could choose something one day and something else the next. But fat is really not as bad as it's thought out to be. Actually it helps you not be hungry, among other things.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Look at the types of fat these foods contain. Monounsaturated is GOOD. Saturated is bad. Transfat is bad. I'm unsure of polyunsaturated.....

As long as it hasn't been heavily processed, you are ok. As far as I know, there are no natural trans-fats.
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Would it be too much for you to handle if you substituted some of those items for lower fat versions (using reduced fat peanut butter, reduced fat cheese, full skim milk, or egg beaters instead of eggs) and then upping the quantity of the item to reach your calorie goal?

I actually think there are some peanut butters that are reduced fat, yet still have close to the same calorie content, so with those you wouldn't even have to up your intake. I know you have a particular brand you like, so maybe they have a RF version.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really worry about healthy fats.

The thing about getting reduced fat stuff is that it generally means increased sugar. So, you have to "pick your poison", fat or sugar??

If you keep your diet mainly of whole foods, the fat/sugar content of your day doesn't really matter as much.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat isn't bad, except the man made kind. All natural fat is good fat, some are essential.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options

As long as it hasn't been heavily processed, you are ok. As far as I know, there are no natural trans-fats.

Good point! And i also agree with the other comment that a lot of the low-fat varieties have extra salt or sugar to make it taste good, so it's not always a better choice!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options

Yup, there sure are natural trans fats, but nature made them good for us, mother nature go figure.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    this is why when i was hardcore losing i didnt eat any egg yolks or peanut butter
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Keep the fat. As long at it is natural fat you will have benefits.

I know this has been a struggle for you for a while, but this is probably the best way to up your calories in your situation.

remember:

1gram of fat is 9 calories
    1gram of sugar is 4 calories
    1 gram of protein is 4 calories.

Unless you drink a protein shake a couple of times a day, upping your fat may be the best way for you to get over your hump of not eating enough calories.

What are your % set for fat carbs and protein? you may want to change it up a bit for a while.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. They're natural, healthy fats and they're good for you. They keep you satiated and are part of a balanced diet. I eat between 50-100g of fat per day and am seeing success. :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If red numbers get you down, just change your macronutrient ratios to fit what you eat. You can do this by going to My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom and fix the percentages.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to any of the macros except protein. But... if you are that concerned, you can adjust your macro settings under your goals.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options

Transfats are rare but they ARE found in nature. Two Canadian studies, that received funding by the Alberta Livestock and Meat Agency [5] and the Dairy Farmers of Canada,[6] have shown that the natural trans fat vaccenic acid, found in beef and dairy products, can have the opposite health effect and can actually be beneficial compared to hydrogenated vegetable shortening
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. A lot of my information on dieting has come from rather dubious sources when my eating disorder was at it's worst, so this is also a process of re-education. A lot of the things I've learned I'm "unlearning" pretty easily, but I just took it as a given that too much fat was a very very bad thing. As you can see, most of my fat intake is "good fat" (if it was from "bad fat" I wouldn't have posted this), but I did think it would or at least might stop me from being healthy.

Thanks again, everyone :)
  • Lovinmama
    Lovinmama Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks everyone. A lot of my information on dieting has come from rather dubious sources when my eating disorder was at it's worst, so this is also a process of re-education. A lot of the things I've learned I'm "unlearning" pretty easily, but I just took it as a given that too much fat was a very very bad thing. As you can see, most of my fat intake is "good fat" (if it was from "bad fat" I wouldn't have posted this), but I did think it would or at least might stop me from being healthy.

When I was heavy into my annorexia I would strive for 2grams of fat a day.. to be honest i didnt lose much but I got very sick and my body (hair nails and skin) has never been the same . Keep up the good fats! the skinnest ppl I know eat a lot of good fats. keep in mind the reduced fat are loaded with sugar and empty calories.. you dont want those! Your doing good keep it up!
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options

When I was heavy into my annorexia I would strive for 2grams of fat a day.. to be honest i didnt lose much but I got very sick and my body (hair nails and skin) has never been the same . Keep up the good fats! the skinnest ppl I know eat a lot of good fats. keep in mind the reduced fat are loaded with sugar and empty calories.. you dont want those! Your doing good keep it up!

Yep, that was my approach - I believed the least fat the better, and I suppose even seeing it in "mainstream" society reinforced it - it's not just pro-ana communities that want to drastically cut down fat, even the mainstream offer less fat / fat free products and encourage low fat diets, so I just accepted that it was good to eat as little fat as possible. Guess I was wrong!