Coffee Help

Options

Replies

• Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Slowly use less and less creamer until you put none in it at all. You'll learn to love black coffee.
  • Blanche76
    Blanche76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee drinker as well, I havent had an issues with any flavored creamers, I've tried milk and did not like that. As long as your not adding sugar with the cream, you should be fine.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    personally, i just use the creamer singles..usually two a day in my 16oz morning coffee. up to 70 calories for both depending on the flavor..i also use one packet of stevia in the raw - no cals
    im not willing to give up anything i love..
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The splenda flavored packets taste GREAT and I find the lighter roast is better too. I used to love dark coffee (not really!) but when I realized how many calories of creamer I was using I had to modify. I now drink an 8 oz cup with 2 tablespoons of powered creamer and one sweetener packet and I am happy with it.
  • nemsmom
    nemsmom Posts: 48
    Options
    Some suggestions for sweetness: Torani sugar-free coffee syrups at Albertsons. They have a hazelnut and french vanilla flavor and they are quite tasty if you need the sweet coffee. And maybe slowly restricting your cream will help you to be able to drink it black or at least manage your calories from it better. :)

Try using Torani flavorings (sugar free) and a tablespoon or two of fat free half and half! I love to use one tablespoon SF white chocolate and one teaspoon SF raspberry with about two tablespoons of fat free half and half for two cups of coffee (I have big mugs so they hold about two cups of coffee each)

You will have to experiment to find what works for you! Good luck!!!
  • TLMonroe
    TLMonroe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could try Da Vinci gourmet Sugar free Coffee syrups they come in a variety of flavors to enjoy. They also have sugar free or fat free coffee creams. I use to just dump regular cream and sugar in but I'm now in the habit of measuring, plsu I have found fun flavors!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I did not read through all the posts but I really like Vanilla Coconut Milk (in the dairy section) in my coffee (1/4 c is 22 calories) or Organic Chocolate Milk.
  • Jeaninedj
    Jeaninedj Posts: 43
    Options
    Buy quality coffee and then you wont have to use creamer. I drink an organic, free-trade, shade-grown sumatra blend from Moka Joe's but unfortunately it's only sold in Bellingham. I also enjoy Tony's coffee as an alternative. A little bit of half and half goes a long way and has a lot less crud than a cofeemate creamer - zero calorie or not.

You could also drink it like my friend does and add honey to it. I think that's greek-style coffee.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The one place I wont skimp is my coffee. I use real cream and stevia. Delish!
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I used to drink about 12 cups of coffee a day. I'm down to 4 now (and have no interest in going any lower). I used to put tons of sugar and creamer in my coffee. However, I started measuring and realizing just how much i was using helped me cut back. Now it's 2 tsps of sugar and 1tbls of creamer (usually fat free). When I do use flavored creamers I get the sugar free ones, use 2 tbls spoons, and leave the sugar out.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    have you tried a french press, it takes away the bitterness meaning you need less sweetner. I hate coffee and I can drink french press straigh without anything. The other thing is to try almond milk and stevia as the sweetner. the natural bliss creamer is really good and does not have any junk in it.
  • jenniferrose
    jenniferrose Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks everyone. I think I am going to try skim milk and splenda or stevia to start.
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've always been the same way. I cut soda from my diet about a year ago, but I can't give up my coffee. I can't stand black coffee and I used to use 2 tbsp of creamer and a tbsp or more of sugar in my coffee. I gradually cut down little by little till I got used to it being less doctored. I also get flavored coffee, that helps a lot. Now I drink my cup of coffee with about a tbsp of skim milk and 1/2 tbsp of sugar (I use sugar in the raw). I'm allergic to sugar substitutes, but you can always use a sugar substitute instead of sugar, or a sugar free creamer.

Also, if you're craving the caffeine throughout the day, try drinking iced tea. We bought an iced tea maker when we cut out soda and it's been so convenient. There are lots and lots of great flavored teas you can get with and without caffeine.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Some suggestions for sweetness: Torani sugar-free coffee syrups at Albertsons. They have a hazelnut and french vanilla flavor and they are quite tasty if you need the sweet coffee. And maybe slowly restricting your cream will help you to be able to drink it black or at least manage your calories from it better. :)

I love Torani sugar-free syrups! Besides the French Vanilla and Hazelnut, I really love the Caramel or the Rasberry! They are great with a light breakfast blend coffee.

I love flavored coffees also and then just drink them black.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    Ok, cant believe am admitting this on Mfp. I LOVE my coffee. Used to drink 2 pots a day. I drink about 3-4 cups now. My motto was "if it doesn't taste like desert, I don't want it." Seriously, its a good thing I stopped using sugar, because I put 6 or more packs of the.fake stuff in my travel mug. I just started hm body revolution, and she is always talking about the negative effof sugar subs, so I decided to try it for 1 week. I put cinnamon in my grounds and still use a bit of dreamer and I am perfectly.ok win it. Give it a try!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    http://www.davidstea.com/

you will find something you love there. and you can order online.
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm going to buck the trend - use real half and half. It tastes better and isn't full of processed chemically crap. I tried skim milk, but you need so much more to do the same as a little half and half.

The best idea is to buy good coffee, and buy lighter roasts. For some reason, "dark" and "bold" sell, but usually that just means "burnt" and "bitter". Find the lightest roast you can, it'll need less cream and sugar. Don't buy coffee from a chain - starbucks or dunkin donuts. Buy from small coffee shops if you can.

The nice thing about buying better coffee is that... .you get better coffee :)

But, in the end, a couple tablespoons of creamer and a couple teaspoons of sugar won't ruin your diet. Just account for it. Have one less cracker with your snack, or skip the juice with breakfast, or run for an extra 5 minutes.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Davidson's Organics teas have some really tasty flavors. I get'em on Amazon.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to find some replacement/modification suggestions to my morning coffee.

I drink 2 cups a day and add 2-3 tablespoons of flavored creamer to each cup. The calories and junk in the creamer is so bad yet that is what I crave. I have tried almond milk and it didn't cut it and I am not ready to give up coffee just yet (already I have cut back to 2 cups - down from 4-5 previously).

Any suggestions on something with less calories to add to my coffee? Or, anyone have a great flavored caffeinated tea they can suggest?

this is me exactly^^^^ I found Coffee Mate Natural Bliss, last year it comes in vanilla(fav!), sweet cream, and caramel. About 35-40 cals per tbsp but its only milk, cream and sugar, plus natural flavoring. However recently I found the Lowfat version, same ingredients but 20cals a tablespoon, its a little less thick and sweet but still does the trick, I also found I was addicted to the color it had to look light enough for me, if you drink it from a cup with a lip you get over this and can use less creamer.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I use splenda and almond milk. I don't necessarily need flavorings but I do like the vanilla almond milk in my coffee.