Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Hold on..might have a splurge for you. Let me see if it's available. :wink:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    What scotch you want depends entirely on your own personal taste. Do you like a good very assertive peat/smoky scotch? If so, then Lagavulin 16 year is it.

You spelled Lagavulin 12 wrong :tongue:

Well, the 16 is awesome, but the 12 is really special.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Johnny Walker Blue or Gold! *melts*
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump....my husband and I both prefer whisky over whiskey.
  • bbloomer
    bbloomer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    +1 on the Balvenie Doublewood (my fave). Talisker is also great if you prefer more peat.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    As many have said here...the Islay single malts are peat monsters...very different from a Highland variety (most people are familiar with the Speyside distilleries, Glenfiddich and Glenlivet).
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Laphroaig. Can't go wrong with it, I think.

Also, as was previously mentioned, Oban 14 Year. (Even let my 4 year old have some on Burns' Night. She approves.)

Some of our other favourites: The Balvenie Doublewood, Cardhu and Bunnahabhain.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Laphroaig is pronounced La-froyg
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Years ago I drank the really peatty single malts. But I finally decided to be comfortable with the fact that I really didn't like them all that much - even if it was the non-connosieur thing to say.

Now I'm a big fan of the Balvenie Doublewood. Smooth, nice flavor from - yep - the 2 different casks it's aged in. It's not super expensive, nice mid-range scotch. Just unusual enough that you can order it and sound knowledgeable (not that that matters). And it's easy to pronounce! (baal vee knee). So you won't embarrass yourself on either front.

If you're loooking for a super splurge, it might not be "high end" enough, but it's my go-to bar order.

Enjoy!

ETA - AAannnd now I see it's already been recommended - more than once. Hey, we must be on to something.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    serious bump!
  • DantonD
    DantonD Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Laphroaig is good. Very smokey and peat-y.

Personally, I prefer Bowmore 18 year (it's along the same lines as Laphroaig), and Lagavulin. Lagavulin is a little more expensive, at least where I am, and probably a little "tamer" as far as smokiness.

Can't go wrong with any of these three.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Personally I was always a fan of Oban 14.
    Oban 14 has always been my favourite go-to Scotch since I was old enough for my da to give me wee sips :drinker: Then again, we have family in Oban so that might explain our fondness for it...

Laphroaig Triple Wood or Quarter Casks are lovely if you prefer peated scotches. We tend to drink those more on summer nights round the fire than in winter in our house though. Bruichladdich has a yummy line of peated scotches as well.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie...I have no idea what "Peat" is....
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    Not available... But. Highland Park is.

Single malt, 40 year. 18 otherwise.

I don't drink it, I'm going on other's recommendations. :smile:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Single malt, 40 year.

40?

Now that sounds interesting...whats the price tag like on that?
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    $2000.
    That's why I listed the 18 year.
    I don't drink it so 2K is more than I'd spend. :)
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like Oban 14 and Macallan 12.
  • garyl7593
    garyl7593 Posts: 38
    Options
    Dalmore 12yr old or Oban 14 yr old....... ;)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

islay (eye-luh) scotches are very peaty - the matled barley is dried over burning blocks of dried peat.

they can have iodine scents (think band-aids) as well as smoke.

imagine cthulhu wrapped in seaweed, set ablaze, and then you make s'mores using his burning flesh. lagavulin, laphroiag and ardbeg are like that.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My boss, whose husband is a scotch drinker, describes peated scotches as those that smell of old gym socks and cigars :noway:

Peat was a form of fuel in Scotland (and other countries I believe) made from decayed vegetation. It's the only thing legally allowed to be "added" to a scotch and have the end result still be termed a Scotch. They use peat fires to malt the barley. You'll find it mostly in Islay region scotches. It adds a smokey, oily flavour to the end product.