I poop once every 4 days, is that normal ?!

Options

Replies

• jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My spinning instructor has a great quote, that, "If you're waiting until you're thirsty to drink, it's already too late." In other words, hydration is critical while exercising. I see so many "he-men" and "she-men" out running mile after mile with no hydration and wonder, what is their body doing to replace lost fluid? I would seriously up your fluid intake while exercising, as well as before and after.

Also, the phenomena otherwise known as "starvation mode" is for real and a diet that's too restrictive in caloric intake will bring it on, almost instantly. Slowed metabolism then adds to unwanted weight gain as you add calories to come out of starvation mode... so the strategy is to avoid starvation mode... Add exercise and track the calories burned (e.g. wear a HRM from Polar, etc.), then add and consume your Xcals, daily.
  • reemalali
    reemalali Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I burn about 900 calories every time I work out,
    how many calories should I have ?!
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests what you should eat daily based upon gender/age, then weight loss goal... Perhaps 1200, then adding in your Xcals, that would take you up to 2100 total cals per day. I bet if you ate 2100 cals on a 900Xcal day, your problem would be solved in 24 hours.
  • reemalali
    Options
    well I am going to try it this week 2100 calories, the days that I go to the gym =))
    the days that I don't go to the gym I'm going to stick to 1200 Calorie =))
  • jennadaniele
    jennadaniele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had this issue, before I started drinking water religiously. If anything else, drinking water has helped my waist shrink. I was at this weight years before when I was lifeguarding and my waist wasn't as slim You probably should up your calories to atleast 1200, drink water and you'll go everyday and the weight will stay off.
    I poop once every 4 days, i eat about 1000 calories per day and i go to the gym 5 days/week,

I also noticed that when I work out I hardly sweat, even when I run !

Please advise me, what is wrong with me ?!
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Every one is different if that is what you have always done then its probably normal for you, if you used to go more often before you were dieting then you need to drink more water, some mineral waters can help, I drink San Pelegrino. If you up fibre you must up liquid or you will feel totally bloated. Don't stress about it though, if you feel uncomfortable sort it out, if you don't just try upping your fluids & having a bit of fruit or fruit juice.
    As for sweating that is an individual thing I never used to get at all sweaty when I was younger, now it runs off me!! Often it is hormonal, be grateful that you are not one of those poor souls who sweat too much, that is far worse
  • reemalali
    Options
    I hope that things will get better this week =))
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I would be soo uncomfortable if I missed even a day of going to the bathroom.
    If all else fails, just get in some prune juice and have 200ml before you go to bed, or 100g of prunes. That has never failed me and they contain potassium which is a plus.
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with taking a laxative if you don't go. I do on a regular basis, and have for about ten years. If I don't, I won't go for five days. Stress usually does that to me. But there are many reasons for it. Take a laxative. You will feel so much better and regular.

Please see a physican before starting with the use of laxatives; a physican can recomend what type of laxative, how much and the frequency of use. Also a physican can determine if you just need bulking from fiber, or if you actually need a stool softner.

Please do not start taking laxatives they can/are harmful on the body. Like the above poster said see a physician if you want to go that route. I am a nurse and have seen the effects of laxative dependency...not pretty. To increase peristalsis (contracting movements of the intestines) you want to drink lots of water (at least 72 ounces daily, increase fiber by eating lots of fruits & vegetables, and exercise (walking is good for peristalsis.) I had major problems with constipation due to some scar tissue, etc and when I upped my water & fiber I started having regular daily bowel movements.

One thing I would ask is that when you do have a bowel movement what is the consistency? This is also a good indicator of what is going on. Is it soft formed, hard small "balls," color, etc. I know most people generally don't look at their stool but it is a very important indicator and a doctor/health professional would ask you these questions.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    well I am going to try it this week 2100 calories, the days that I go to the gym =))
    the days that I don't go to the gym I'm going to stick to 1200 Calorie =))

OH MY GOSH you were only eating 1000 cal and burning 900 at the gym most days?!?! Now thar's yer problem! That's some seriously unhealthy stuff, and explains both the infrequent bowel movements and the lack of sweat: your body must have been completely freaking out!

This 2100/1200 pattern will almost certainly have you feeling far, far better. <3
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    the amount off poop you do depends on the amount and also what youre eating........the more rubbish the more poop........its all the stuff your body doesnt want that comes out

Actually it's mostly made up of bacteria that is in the colon.

That is why I thought probiotics may be helpful.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You're starving yourself.

Eat more - your body will thank you.

One of the ways it will express its gratitude is by pooping more regularly.
  • EvaJ20
    EvaJ20 Posts: 33
    Options
    After every meal? Crap.

LOL! I thought the same thing!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with taking a laxative if you don't go. I do on a regular basis, and have for about ten years. If I don't, I won't go for five days. Stress usually does that to me. But there are many reasons for it. Take a laxative. You will feel so much better and regular.

This is actually bad information. Your body literally gets addicted to laxatives. Your bowel stops contracting like it does normally.

For some people, having 3bm/day is normal, for others, going twice a week is normal - there's no set frequency of normal. If you recently started only going 1-2tims a week (after having more "regular" movements), then this is not normal FOR YOU. And eating only 1000cal/day and exercising almost daily probably isn't setting yourself up for healthy success.
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    One bowel movement every four days is not normal. One bowel movement daily is normal (some people go more frequently than that, and that is normal for them) I work in health care, and by day three (without a BM) at the latest there is some kind of intervention being made to assist our clients to have a bowel movement. As others have said, drink more water, eat more fiber, and consider upping your calories to 1200 as a minimum (consider a higher caloric intake, on days that you are working out). Exercise is also recommended for regular bowel movements, but it sounds like you are doing that already. If you still are not having regular bowel movements, consider seeing your physican about it.
    I wouldn't worry about not sweating, unless you feel like you are overheating when you are working out.

I was only going once every 4 to 5 days, and when I did go it was like a volcano erupted...Dr said that it was fine......called it IBS...I wasn't satisfied with the answer...I found a different Dr..had lost of expensive tests and found nothing wrong with me. I noticed after my last explosion that I had ate Pizza....so I tested myself by not eating any Dairy....Don't ya know - All my problems are solved..It was Lactose Intolerance the whole time....now I go everyday without irregularity or "eruptions"
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    One bowel movement every four days is not normal. One bowel movement daily is normal (some people go more frequently than that, and that is normal for them) I work in health care, and by day three (without a BM) at the latest there is some kind of intervention being made to assist our clients to have a bowel movement. As others have said, drink more water, eat more fiber, and consider upping your calories to 1200 as a minimum (consider a higher caloric intake, on days that you are working out). Exercise is also recommended for regular bowel movements, but it sounds like you are doing that already. If you still are not having regular bowel movements, consider seeing your physican about it.
    I wouldn't worry about not sweating, unless you feel like you are overheating when you are working out.

I was only going once every 4 to 5 days, and when I did go it was like a volcano erupted...Dr said that it was fine......called it IBS...I wasn't satisfied with the answer...I found a different Dr..had lost of expensive tests and found nothing wrong with me. I noticed after my last explosion that I had ate Pizza....so I tested myself by not eating any Dairy....Don't ya know - All my problems are solved..It was Lactose Intolerance the whole time....now I go everyday without irregularity or "eruptions"
    If the second doctor didn't pick up on the lactose intolerance, it's not lactose. Also, if you react to cheese as badly or worse than you to to milk, it's not lactose -- cheese has much lower levels of it. I'm also lactase-positive (i.e. I have the enzyme needed to process lactose) but react to dairy badly, and cheese and yoghurt are the worst, so it is most likely I react to a dairy protein.

Short version: you can be dairy-intolerant without being lactose-intolerant.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!! Your body thinks it's starving and holding on to anything it gets!!! Healthy fats and brown rice will help. Also you are losing muscle eating this way, which will leave you with loose skin. Feed the muscle and be a fat burning machine!
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    If the second doctor didn't pick up on the lactose intolerance, it's not lactose. Also, if you react to cheese as badly or worse than you to to milk, it's not lactose -- cheese has much lower levels of it. I'm also lactase-positive (i.e. I have the enzyme needed to process lactose) but react to dairy badly, and cheese and yoghurt are the worst, so it is most likely I react to a dairy protein.

Short version: you can be dairy-intolerant without being lactose-intolerant.
    [/quote]

The second DR had assumed the first had ruled it out....it is Definitely Lactose Intolerance....after I figured it out I got tested....
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Everything about this thread points to trolling.

New user... no friends... no previous posts... first post is a hot topic. Hmmmm :noway:

Trolling or not, who doesn't like an opportunity to talk about poop? And I get a good chuckle about what people think is "normal". Win win.
  • Jambe
    Jambe Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well. How do you feel? Bloated? Fine? Are you eating a lot of greens ?

There were times when I didn't have a BM for several days when I was exercising hard and eating sub 1300 calories. Just means you're using most of what you put in.

And of course. When you do BM is one of those protein ****s that really saves on the TP.

lawl

Or you could drop dead tomorrow like most people would have you believe.

I'd be a little concerned if you make it a week. But you should have at least 1 refeed day to eat junk/excess and that normally will do it.