Chug it!

Options
So it got to be around 10 pm today and I realized that I hadn't drunk a single drop of water the entire day! I immediately went to the sink and filled up my glass, drank it, filled it up, drank it, etc....I drank the entire recommended 8 cups in about 2 minutes. Now, I know water isn't BAD in any way, however, I'm figuring it would have been much better for my weight loss had I had the water with each meal, or spread out some throughout the day, rather than chugging the 64 ounces I needed in a semi-panic. What are your thoughts on this? Again, not urgent, but just wondering. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i heard somebody died during a college fraternity dare drinking too much water at once....
  • MattySparky
    Options
    In a few minutes I predict this post will be flooded with people telling you how bad it is to consume water this way. You can over hydrate yourself but Im not going to get into that because I would just be repeating something I read which Im not sure has any merit at all. Yes it would have been better to drink some water throughout the day. Drinking your daily amount at the end of the day does nothing for your metabolism during the day and does nothing for your hydration, joints, cells, organs, teeth, skin etc etc etc. Water is not something where if you dont get your "8 cups" per day you wont lose weight so there is no need to "top up" your water to get to this amount. Simply keep hydrated throughout the day. Keep in mind that if you are going to work out, hydrate a few hours before hand and drink while working out too. Its all about balance.
  • LDCorrigan
    LDCorrigan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I was in basic training drinking water was seriously enforced because we were outside in the Texas heat all day. One girl in our flight drank way too much water from her camelback and ended up flat on the ground and had to be taken to the hospital because she had too much water at one time. Like Matty said, its all about balance.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you peed like crazy right afterward right? You flooded your body/kidneys with so much water at one time that it simply just filtered it all out very quickly. But I'm sure u know this already :) I carry a little aluminum bottle around with me all day and refill it several times. You could totally do this! Besides, those bottles are just so cute hehe
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i heard somebody died during a college fraternity dare drinking too much water at once....

Are you sure that wasn't alcohol??
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    In a few minutes I predict this post will be flooded with people telling you how bad it is to consume water this way. You can over hydrate yourself but Im not going to get into that because I would just be repeating something I read which Im not sure has any merit at all. Yes it would have been better to drink some water throughout the day. Drinking your daily amount at the end of the day does nothing for your metabolism during the day and does nothing for your hydration, joints, cells, organs, teeth, skin etc etc etc. Water is not something where if you dont get your "8 cups" per day you wont lose weight so there is no need to "top up" your water to get to this amount. Simply keep hydrated throughout the day. Keep in mind that if you are going to work out, hydrate a few hours before hand and drink while working out too. Its all about balance.

Agreed. Just want to add that too much at once can mess up your electrolytes. Probably not the 64oz you consumed, but keep that in mind. It's not the best idea to try to get it all at once.

exercise.png
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    It takes a LOT of water to consume within a short amount of time to cause you harm.

I got this from an article regarding water intoxification:
    It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Remember you get a lot of water from food too. I'm sure you consume some kind of liquid during the day and that counts too. So don't sweat it. I sometimes chug mine 16oz at a time every 15 minutes or so.