new to weight lose struggle with night eating

Options
2»

Replies

• SoySalva
    SoySalva Posts: 138
    Options
    I'm also a night snacker so I save calories to do just that! I have been on this weight loss journey for a year now and so far have lost 69 lbs and counting. My opinion is if you don't go over your daily allowance you should be fine....well at least it has worked for me. As a beginner you will have to try things to see what works for you....best of luck!
  • shellymvan
    Options
    Welcome, i too have the same problem. I have been saving calories for my night time snacking as well. I also went to bed hungry last night I just had to because all of my calories were spent but chances are you will wake up hungry too! LOL Best of luck!
  • ebleninc
    ebleninc Posts: 2
    Options
    wow what a great response thank you for all the great ideas! example I ate at about 9pm last night I was up till 3am could not sleep
    because I was hungry ... I finally gave in and had some ice cream : ( tonight I have left plenty of calories and have healthy foods to eat we will see how it goes ....

Again thanks so much for the feed back ...

Mark
  • sacagawea
    sacagawea Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i also get snacky at night and save more calories for the evening as well
  • Avelhx2
    Avelhx2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there! Night eating is a major problem for most dieters, i'm definitely not spared :( I can binge up to a 1000 calories @ night and still battling with this problem. i end up exercising like crazy the next day...

One way to cope with it is to close your kitchen after your last meal for the day. Keep yourself busy and distract yourself from any stimulus of food (e.g:TV and magazine)

If you work shift like me, it's better to plan your meal in advance and stick to it !

Another important thing to do is NOT to skip meal!! eating 3 square meals with 2 snack in between. Having food high in fibre keep you fuller for long.

this information is nothing new but hope this helps you along with your weight loss! Let me know if have any other suggestions to stop this terrible habit :) Good luck..
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast, lunch and dinner. No other snacks - but each meal is big enough and nutritious enough to work. Never has my nutrition been this good and it makes an incredible difference to bingeing and pining and yearning and suffering...

In the evenings, my dinner will include something like 2 courgettes, 2 handfuls of mushrooms, 1/2 capsicum and 3 or 4 tomatoes. Fried in butter. :D With salt. :D

I get to eat, and eat, and eat. I think I use up my eating instincts. If i am hungry later, which is not very often, I have a milkshake. A hot milo also is something I'll do, for 45 calories it give you enough of a kick to send you to bed happy.

And sometimes, not very often, I make a nice pudding.

I think eating at night should be something you think about, and organise, and make, so that it is really nice. not quick. EG if you want icecream, have a little scoop, with hundreds and thousands on it or a sprinkle of nuts, or a tsp chocolate sauce, or some tinned peaches. Make an event out of it, luxuriate in it, enjoy it.

Get a decent kick out of what you eat, and I promise it'll feel more like you've had something to eat.
  • caviarblack
    caviarblack Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I keep a huge stash of hot teas for this reason! It really helps me put my actual hunger into perspective when I have a cup of hot tea before deciding if I'm truly hungry. I love Tazo's vanilla roobios when I'm craving something sweet. If I am almost out of daily calories, sometimes I do a late night mini-workout to earn calories back for a snack. Every little bit helps. Best of luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    hello,

happy to start this program i want to loose 70 plus pounds however I struggle with night eating and ideas that might help

Leave 200 calories in your day plans, so you can have a serving of peanut butter.

Protein and fat usually very satisfying, not too sweet to get the taste buds going. so don't get honey version, for sure not chocolate version i just saw (should I have said that?).

And don't keep putting it off until you are really hungry, because by the time the fact you ate hits your head, you'll have snack on something else.

This also may be happening because your metabolism hasn't slowed down yet and you gave yourself a big old deficit below it.
    Just to check. Tools - BMR calc. Are you NETing below that?
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    its ok..you can eat whenever you want...especially when you regularly exercise...but its a matter of what you would eat...if your body wants food..don't starve it..feed it...sometimes its thirst and not hunger..you'll know the difference...just make sure you log it and if you are within your macros then its all good