am i really the only one?

Options
libby328
libby328 Posts: 287 Member
Who is no longer obsessed with the number on the scale? A couple weeks ago I mentioned that I needed to start working out again to get ready for bikini season, and it was like the flood gates opened or something all the sudden I had people coming at me from every direction telling me to do this fad diet, or buy a juicer, or go on this cleanse. I would simply say " I don't care if I lose weight I just want to be in better shape" and people would just give me this dumb look like I was full of it! I went from 158ish to 124.2 I have also stayed at 124 for a while now. I just do not understand how people think you can be in good shape without exercising?! For the first time in I think my life I am ok with how much I weigh... Why is it so hard for people to understand and just support wanting to be in better shape? Dumb rant I am over it :)

Replies

• tamspat
    tamspat Posts: 23
    Options
    Not the only one! I've made some minor but amazing lifestyle changes since starting MFP at the beginning of March; weighed last night and the scale has not budged! BUT I feel soooooooo much better than I did before starting all this - SOOO much better! I have to take my measurements again as I believe I will definitely see a difference there but as for the scale, I don't give a crap right now!! :D
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    I totally agree! While I would love to drop 25 more pounds, the fact of the matter is I would rather look healthy with a muscular(yes! I said muscles, not toned) body than be a skinny, fat person.

But to each their own! If a person is happy just being smaller and healthy, that is fine by me. I just wish people wouldn't look at me cross-eyed when I say I'm going to the gym to dead lift! Haha.

I have a friend who does all the latest fads and they usually work great at first and then back fire later on.

**sighs**
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You should do the Dukan, WW, juicing, lemonade cleanse. This is truly the only way you can get ready for bikini season. It's true!

People are sadly uneducated when it comes to food, nutrition and exercise. Their parent's probably didn't know much about it, they didn't learn it in school (ever seen a school lunch?). Who gets the most attention on the subject? Of course it is the diet marketing industry. Certainly we can't lose weight or get in shape on our own? Since people don't know much about nutrition, they follow the next most visible thing. Since we are told over and over how quickly we can lose weight with this pill or this plan or this diet or this supplement, waiting for things to happen the right way just seems so wrong.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    No--it was a good rant. It is amazing to me how many Fad diets there are, and how many people do them. They just want a quick fix .. and I get that. Who wouldn't like to be 20 pounds down by taking a magic pill ? But, they aren't getting that it has to be a lifestyle change and how very important being fit is. I am just turning 50 and had a foot fracture.. am hearing alot about my calcium/Vitamin D. Which I haven't bee great about-- But, weight lifting for bone strength, Healthy eating, and Cardio is sooo important for sooo many reasons. It WILL catch up with folks. Whew.. and now my rant is over :)
  • vtgirl77
    vtgirl77 Posts: 69
    Options
    Ageed, I feel so much better when I am in shape as opposed to just having lost weight. People don't believe me when I tell them what I weigh (although I was -4 this morning, I rarely weigh myself) they think I weigh much less. Uuummm, it's the muscle people...because I'm in shape? Get it? I'm happy with my weight, but I keep working to stay in SHAPE.
  • vtgirl77
    Options
    Ageed, I feel so much better when I am in shape as opposed to just having lost weight. People don't believe me when I tell them what I weigh (although I was -4 this morning, I rarely weigh myself) they think I weigh much less. Uuummm, it's the muscle people...because I'm in shape? Get it? I'm happy with my weight, but I keep working to stay in SHAPE.

Agreed*
  • libby328
    Options
    Well my solution was p90x I am on my 16th day and I also get the people that say "oh I hear that is supposed to kick your a** " uh thanks been doing it for 2 weeks I got that! Lol its just mind numbing that some people are turned off at the thought of doing something active! A good friend if mine was saying "if you keep doing that you are going to look like a man" I just told her "if that's what it takes to feel better about myself then it is ok" she just says "Ick" lol whatever
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I too have more or less given up caring what the scale says... while I am no where near as ready for bikini season as you are...

I am in probably the best shape of my life. Yes I would still like to lose some more pounds.. probably 30 if I am honest with myself. But I have never been able to run like I do now, or lift better then I do... my wardrobe is being replaced with smaller clothes and everything is going well.

I hop on the scale once a week at the gym and normally find myself anywhere within a 5lb range... and for now I am cool with that.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. (although I still want to shed a few little lbs) :wink:

The other day at work I mentioned I was going to do a P90X workout when I got home...2 of my co-workers said, "Why? You don't need to lose weight; you're already in good shape!"

I just wanted to say, "EXACTLY!"

Sheesh. How do people thing you can be a healthy weight & stay in shape WITHOUT working out?! Sillyness.
  • libby328
    Options
    I totally understand. (although I still want to shed a few little lbs) :wink:

The other day at work I mentioned I was going to do a P90X workout when I got home...2 of my co-workers said, "Why? You don't need to lose weight; you're already in good shape!"

I just wanted to say, "EXACTLY!"

Sheesh. How do people thing you can be a healthy weight & stay in shape WITHOUT working out?! Sillyness.

I wouldn't mind being a bit smaller myself, it is not what I am focusing on though... And when I say that to people it is almost like heads are going to explode! Haha people are funny!
  • libby328
    Options
    It is also funny when people ask how you lost the weight and you tell them healthy eating and working out and as soon as you say those two words you can see them lose interest in the conversation! It's like how do you think I lost it and got abs? By sitting on the couch eating chips and cake? Man o man!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It is also funny when people ask how you lost the weight and you tell them healthy eating and working out and as soon as you say those two words you can see them lose interest in the conversation! It's like how do you think I lost it and got abs? By sitting on the couch eating chips and cake? Man o man!

All the time friends will see me and ask how I did it. My normal answer is "Instead of sitting my *kitten* on the couch drinking a beer, now I go to the gym after work most days... and count my calories using MFP" then they start asking me about a bunch of fad diets... and I tell them good luck.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I suppose everyone is just hoping for this magic solution to instantly drop the weight!

For me being fit and healthy is definitely my first priority and kicking my battle against sugar not to forget!!
    But still, I can't help but wish some more weight away. I'm just over 60 kilos now and I just want to be (and stay) below that bloody number!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Same here. I have always weighed more than people would guess from looking at me because I am muscular, so I got over the scale weight thing a long time ago. I could say that I wish I weighed 10 lbs less, but I am small enough and lean enough already that if I lost another 10 lbs, I would look emaciated. And I'd have to starve myself and stop working out, neither of which I am willing to do. What good is it to weigh less if you don't like what you see in the mirror and have to endure a miserable lifestyle to get there?
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You're right... originally I cared about the scales... I kind of don't care as much anymore. I believe this is because I am feeling good & rather than worrying about losing too much more 'weight' I am looking to gain 'weight' --- continue losing fat percentage, but gain muscle mass (which weighs more than fat anyway). So I am now eating more protein, doing a lot more strength training and I have also upped my calorie intake too as I am trying to get back on track to eating more normal (healthily but just more calories -- I can't live on 1200 calories forever).
  • libby328
    Options
    I am not in amazing shape and it is a struggle to keep doing what I do.. same for even my husband, his solution to everything is to get rid of soda lol! I mentioned I would give my right leg to have an ice cold coke and he says (while eating chips) that will only set you back a couple days... Are you freaking kidding me?!?
  • vtgirl77
    Options
    Well my solution was p90x I am on my 16th day and I also get the people that say "oh I hear that is supposed to kick your a** " uh thanks been doing it for 2 weeks I got that! Lol its just mind numbing that some people are turned off at the thought of doing something active! A good friend if mine was saying "if you keep doing that you are going to look like a man" I just told her "if that's what it takes to feel better about myself then it is ok" she just says "Ick" lol whatever

Good for you for doing P90X! Personally I love kickin' my own *kitten*! It feels great afterwards! It's empowering.....you're friend, well, that's just ignorant. It's not possible for you to bulk up like a man. You'll just come in a tighter package with defined muscles! Keep rockin' it girl!
  • libby328
    Options
    Thank you guys for the support. Good to know I am not alone out there :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    his solution to everything is to get rid of soda lol!

You're not kidding about this. Getting rid of soda ranks right up there with duct tape on the "men's solutions to life's problems" list.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Dropping sodas and drinking water does indeed help, but only if you are an avid soda drinker. I drank 3+ Mountain Dews a day, so it was a necessity for me to stop and change. I thought I'd get ridiculous headaches but I never did. Not sure why, either.

BTW - I don't use duct tape, athough it is the one thing that works on everything :laugh: