Anyone struggling with at-home workouts?

Options
Hi, everyone. I recently joined MFP, and I'm working to cut my weight in half. I know it's going to take a lot of time, but I currently weigh 255, down from 260 and my UGW is 115. I do Pilates and dance every day, but I'm looking for more. Any suggestions of workout videos or things on On Demand? Anything will help. Thanks so much!

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of weight training, 2-3 times a week. A set of dumbbells are pretty inexpensive, and there are plenty of threads with good advice to get started in the exercise section.
    Welcome to MFP!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear some suggestions as well, currently I am doing pilates, ab workouts & the treadmill. I've searched for workouts on my DVR but all that has come up is infomercials
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of weight training, 2-3 times a week. A set of dumbbells are pretty inexpensive, and there are plenty of threads with good advice to get started in the exercise section.
    Welcome to MFP!

I'm definitely getting some weights this weekend, I've heard too many success stories!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I personally do not struggle with home workouts, because I'm usually watching my dvr'd shows while I workout.

I agree with introducing weights. Also, Butt Bible is on Demand and that's pretty cool for something different. Best of luck!!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I bought a recumbant bike just so I could work out at home also. We have a workout room at work and I was trying to workout every day at lunch. Unfortunately, so is everyone else. I decided I would buy a bike for home. I love to read so I combined the two. I read and ride for at least 30 minutes. One thing that I have noticed when working out at home is that I like to do it when no one else is home so I do not get distracted. As for home DVD's, I love anything Tracy Austin. She just can motivate me for some reason. Best of luck!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I would buy Jillian Michaels DVDs (either "30 Day Shred" to begin with or "Ripped in 30" for a more intense workout). The workouts incorporate cardio, strength training, and ab work and produce great results.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    There's nothing better and more fun than Chalene Johnson's Turbo Fire (a Beachbody program). I LOVE it. I am in Week 6 now and it's the first workout I've devoted myself to for this long.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!!!!
  • Sjvarley123
    Sjvarley123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi I would also recommend jillian michaels DVDs. I do 'banish fat boost metabolism' for when i cant get to the gym etc, its a good all round workout and certainly works you hard.
  • Thank you guys for all of your amazing suggestions. I have a set of weights, and I'll definitely check out the recommended DVDs. I am looking into joining a gym, but a lot of the ones around are really expensive, and I'm living on a two hundred dollar paycheck every two weeks, lol. School is pretty draining, as is work, and I find it hard to stay motivated sometimes.
  • JustCallMeJaz
    JustCallMeJaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me its finding the motivation to do it. I can go to the gym and work out so easily. But if Im home, I find other things to occupy my time... like watching tv or using my iPad to play games.
  • miramonti67
    miramonti67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I did was set my DVR to record ALL exercise shows then picked from those that interested me. I set them to record the series, that way, If air time isn't convenient for a workout I can do it whenever is good for me. One of my favorites is Faithful Workouts by Michelle Spadafora. you can check out her website at faithfulworkouts.com
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The bottom line for me is that when my husband is motivated to work out, so am I. Having another person for accountability has had a lot more to do with my motivation than what type of workout I use. So if you have a friend or two who are also trying to drop some pounds or get in shape, try exercising together. Or, maybe some of your mfp friends can help to motivate as well. I'm even running now, something I always swore I would never do, and it's in part thanks to him!
  • KLLetourneau
    KLLetourneau Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I HAD to buy a treadmill for home - to get motivated. We went with the Incline Trainer and I am LOVING IT! If I left myself up to do DVD work outs - I would never do them. We took a chunk of our tax return and got the treadmill. We also got a year of free IFIT with it - loving that. I am not an outside kind of gal so this is perfect! Good Luck!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have a good swiss ball (with as high weight rating and burst resistance as I could find) and a pair of Power Blocks (U90). Takes up very little space in the home, and is enough for me to get in full body strength workouts (3 days per week).

In hindsight, I probably would have preferred a good flat/incline/decline bench instead of the ball (though it would have been more expensive), since I'm really only using the ball for bench presses and crunches anyway.

As for cardio, I haven't really been keeping to any particular schedule there. I just try to walk more, take the stairs, that kind of thing, as opposed to spending extra workout time on it. I do have that Your Shape game for the Kinect, and sometimes go through a routine on there if I'm feeling like sweating for a while.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love resistance bands and kettle bells. Get an exercise ball to do crunches and to help level you out if you're not so good at pushups. You can use it against the walls for squats also!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Screw all the video's of just cardio, you will get better results and long term weight loss with video's that incorporate resistance training.

My favorites

P90X2 (killing me now), P90X, chalean extreme and maybe even insanity (haven't done it, but people love it.).

The key to all these programs are eating enough calories to burn the fuel. That means generally 1700-2200 calories for women and most men are 2400+
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you can't get a gym membership but you think exercise is a long-term thing for you then make at least 2 investments.

1. Adjustable dumbells. This is a little bit of an investment but getting in shape is an investment right? http://www.dumbbellbuddy.com/sourcep/turbobell.html

2. Get a exercise bench that can incline and decline.

That may run you $250 to $400 but it's worth it in the long run. However, best case scenario would be to get a gym membership.
  • arianevillegas
    Options
    Zumba is gaining popularity here in the Philippines. I wanted to try it cause it looks like a lot of fun but I cannot afford to buy the DVDs. I'm currently doing the Les Mils DVDs (Body Vive and Body Combat free from box of cereals) 20 mins exercise. It works for me because it's just 20mins a day, 3 times a week. I can adhere to that cause it's not that heavy. I easily get discouraged with long work outs which is one of the major cause I fail to work out.
  • randilynn113
    randilynn113 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am a huge Chalene Johnson fan and have the complete Turbo Jam set and am now in week 2 of Turbo Fire. I LOVE it! I feel great every day, and actually find myself looking forward to working out (although it is hard work so far!)
    I've also done some of Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs DVDs and they were a change up. I have done the 30 Day Shred, but found that I like the music and the energy from the Turbo workouts much better.
    My friend loves doing Zumba a couple nights a week and she loves it!

Good luck to you!
  • hankrearden
    hankrearden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did P90x last year, and am doing Insanity this year. Insanity works MUCH better at burning off the nasty unwanted stuff, and the 1st month is around 40 minutes each day. All you need is a towel and water bottle. I usually work out for 3 months/year, then repeat the cycle, and I hate spending too much time doing it. This is quick, pretty difficult, but it works amazingly well. Best of Luck!