YOUR MOTHER IN LAW>>? PLEASE ENLIGHTen ME,,

Options
123457»

Replies

• zippymelanie68
    Options
    my mil is a horrible person, I was 8 months pregnant when my FIL passed away and at the funeral ( mixed with extended family that I just met for the first time), I could see everyone whispering and staring at me. My BIL current girlfriend told me it was because my MIL told everyone that the baby I was carrying wasn't her sons. I have never been unfaithful nor gave her any reason to suspect as much. Prior to that day I would take her out for lunches and visit her for tea and games of cribbage etc. Me being pregnant and emotional I was so hurt at the funeral but pushed it aside to be there for my husband because he just lost his father. He confronted her and she attempted to apologize to me but I told her we will discuss it later because the funeral was not the time nor place. Till this day she insist she apologized.
    She spoils her daughters children and treat my children horribly. I refused to come between my husband and her relationship but he has nothing to do with her and stopped bringing the kids to see her; she is a chain smoker and was unwilling not to smoke while my children were there.
    It is very sad that my husbands extended family are not apart of my children's lives because she poisoned their thoughts ( at funeral and many other examples not stated).
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My MIL is the devil incarnate. She is evil and vindictive. Nevada is not quite far enough away from Texas, but it will do I guess. She holds onto grudges, old emails from 5 years ago, and things from my husbands childhood and brings them back up when it suits her. I haven't spoken to her in 5 or 6 yrs (we've been married almost 15 yrs) and I don't intend to ever. My husband barely speaks to her (mostly holidays and pretty much only emails then). My FIL lives about a mile from us and we get a long great!
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My mother in law disowned my husband when he married me lol I guess it really bothered her that I had boundaries and wouldn't let her control me. It makes me sad that he was put in the middle but it is what it is.

Pretty much sums up mine. Although she didn't technically disown him, has just made our lives so miserable that we disowned her! Life is so much better with her basically out of it! Sounds harsh....but can't keep people like that around bringing you down all the time, even if they are family, IMO.
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    My MIL kicks all your MIL's *kitten*. She speaks almost no English and never shows up at my house without beer and candy. So yeah, she rocks. Hard.

I want your MIL!!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law raised a son who is affectionate, not afraid to show his emotions, helpful around the house, has a strong sense of values, and places his family as his first priority. I will forever be grateful to her.
    I was so nervous first meeting my husband's devout Catholic mama--I was a motorcyle-riding, tattooed, chain-smoking, divorced, mother of a toddler. I just knew she was going to hate me. But no, she welcomed me with open arms and always treated my daughter and me with warmth and affection. And she has ever since. I love her. I want to be like her.
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Love her! She is a wonderful woman, and helps us anyway we need it. We don't see her as often, or talk to her as much as we should but she is amazing just the same!
  • MrsGoHard
    MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My MIL is absolutely wonderful. She's a blessed woman with one of the sweetest spirits I've ever met in my life. I truly aspire to be like her in more ways than one some day.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my mother in law! She accepted me with a kiddo from a prior relationship... she let me live with them while my husband was deployed in Afghan for 15 months. We can sit and talk for hours.

When my mom was bitter about be staying with her for 15 months and went to talk all kinds of mad crap about me. She told me not to worry about the things my mom told her. She treats me like a daughter and treats my kids better than my mom treats them. She doesn't meddle in my relationship with my husband, doesn't show up at my house without calling. I couldn't ask for a better mother in law.
  • SMC_chick
    SMC_chick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mine is not jus my mother-in-law but my boss too so its REALLY HARD!!! I think if i get a new job our reationship would be way better cuz right now she drives me crazy lol

That really stinks! I don't know if I could handle that and probably would be searching out that new job to calm the waters.
  • SMC_chick
    SMC_chick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is a little eccentric, but she's got that right as a farmer's wife, the mother of 9 children, and now a grandmother and great-grandmother. She's pretty cool. I have to say, though, that our relationship is kind of skewed by her being old enough to be my grandmother. I'm 8 years younger than my husband, the second youngest of her nine children. She doesn't treat me any different than any of her other children, though. I like visiting her.

I feel sorry for my husband, though. His mother-in-law (my mother) is the mother-in-law from Hades. She is intrusive, bossy, talks down to him (and everyone else), and just generally someone we dread visiting. I think I got the good end of the deal. To top it all off, I got a great guy.
  • kmfolkins
    kmfolkins Posts: 64
    Options
    She is a great person if you are not her daughter in law!
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My mother in law disowned my husband when he married me lol I guess it really bothered her that I had boundaries and wouldn't let her control me. It makes me sad that he was put in the middle but it is what it is.

Unfortunately, I know exactly what u mean : (
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    She is a great person if you are not her daughter in law!

LOL...so true!
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for my husband, though. His mother-in-law (my mother) is the mother-in-law from Hades. She is intrusive, bossy, talks down to him (and everyone else), and just generally someone we dread visiting. I think I got the good end of the deal. To top it all off, I got a great guy.

I appreciate the sympathy, Smc_Chick! I think in the end, I got the best part of your family--I got you!!! Lucky me!

I completely relate to your situation. My mother is great, though she is definitely a bit eccentric. Her eccentric tendencies add a little extra flavor, something you can appreciate... eccentric like a hint of cloves or a pinch of honey in a fine red wine.

My mother-in-law (your mother) is another story. I would have to say that the reason we interact with your mother with as few conflicts as we do (you and me vs. the monster-in-law) is because she lives 600 miles away. Still... you know how she has a seeming compulsion for picking fights or digging around the edges until she finally creates a conflict. The funny thing is that she only manages to create a conflict, us against her -- NEVER dividing us, but dividing herself from US, the unified front. Almost ten years together and she has never once divided us! Score one for you and me!

But what about the stories, the quirks and the reasons why she is a monster-in-law? Surely you have some stories that would make anyone with a semi-normal MIL thank their lucky stars that they do not have my MIL, AKA your mother.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Very nice but VERY frustrating. She has a hoarding problem and a being-on- time problem.
  • AshleyMoe86
    Options
    My MIL is AMAZING!! I don't know what I'd do without her! I wish she lived closer!
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I think I know why MILs do not like Son-in-laws...........We are having sex with their daughters and they just can not deal with that!!
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mine is great! Really sweet person and never gave my marriage any problems.
    I love her just as much as I love my side of the family.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Just found out that my mother-in-law last night said "it's a good thing she hasn't done anything to get on my bad side" ... not sure if I should be worried, and here I thought we were doing so well :ohwell:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Ummm is this a trick question?

For the most part we get alone, but when we don't get alone, we really don't get alone. We are a lot alike in some areas and then other area's I guess I just don't understand her way of thinking. I've never "Hated" her or considered her a "Monster in law" just think some of her way of thinking is totally messed up, and sometimes her priorities are totally messed up. We are all guilty of doing unneeded selfish acts, but some of the crap she's pulled you'd all be surprise but I won't dis my MIL online :) I'd rather tell her straight up and I have.