OK have at it

Options
I have opened my diary and am desperately seeking answers to why I am GAINING weight. I know you will all tell me to eat more, but if you look back several days you will see I vary my calories up and down and don't always under eat. SO take some time if you will and help me figure out this problem. Seriously I am GAINING weight. I thought it was just water but it is not going away and has been sticking around for weeks. I used to weigh 104 now I weigh 118. The only thing I have changed is I have started working out regularly since February 1. Which seems like it should be helping not hurting my weight loss efforts.

Be gentle, I am not usually the type to open up.

Edited to add: I weigh 118 I am 5'2" my Body fat is 18% and has not changed so I am not gaining muscle My BMR is 1174 TDEE is 1470

I do weights at the gym MWF and do the 30 day shred daily.

Replies

• lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    are u doing any strength training or resistance work??

u need to eat at least 1200 calories more on the days u work out:bigsmile:
  • At first glance, it looks like you're basically just eating 3 meals a day, and you don't have a great balance of carbs/fat/protein. I would also add in fruits and veggies, as I don't see too much of those in there. They will help to fill you up, as well as to keep things moving, if you know what I mean! Since I've started eating more frequent, smaller meals, it seems to have helped rev up my metabolism. I also make sure to have some kind of fruit and/or vegetable at every meal or snack - except for my protein shake. Just a quick observation! I definitely don't claim to be an expert... :)
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you but I am having the same problem. I'm up 5 lbs since starting & it is so frustrating. I increased my calories to 1800, which the fat2fit website said was better for my height (5'1") but don't always eat all of them or my exercise calories. I am curious as to the advice MFP people give... Best of luck to you.
    Andrea
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    I don't really see a whole lot wrong with what you're doing. My personal experience when odd weight gain has happened is that it's related to sodium and water intake. Too much sodium, and not enough water through the day. I've personally had swings of up to 7lbs of gain with no change in BF%. Part of the reason I'm using MFP is because I can track sodium without having to build my own database. Again personal experience for me; when I can keep my water intake above 4litres (a gallon) a day the weight loss continues, and the gain stops.

Nothing to lose by trying it.

Yes, I'm one of those OCD types who weighs everyday at the same time and tests BF% every week!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I know you will all tell me to eat more, but if you look back several days you will see I vary my calories up and down and don't always under eat.

Nope, I looked through for a week and you definitely under-eat. You don't want to hear it, but cycling between 800 and 1100 calories is way too little fuel. You will likely try and look for every other answer under the sun because you don't like my opinion, but to me it is pretty obvious what the problem is.

Also, your diary is very light on produce. Add some fruit and veg in there!
  • fatzombiegirl
    Options
    You may be taking in too much sodium with the processed meats. Try lean proteins like chicken, turkey and fresh fish or canned tuna. More fresh veggies too. Beans.
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There is NO WAY on this earth that your TDEE is 1470. I'm 5'3 and mine is 2400, and I don't work out! Walking is my excercise. Try running your TDEE and BMR numbers on a different site, also looked through your diary and it's my opinion too that you're not eating enough. I eat 1800-2000 each day. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    um..wheres your fruit? And you eat VERY limited veggies! And you are 118 and want to weigh 107? why? Im just curious.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tracking your salt intake? You eat a lot of processed food and not that much in the way of fruit and veg.
  • SparklesPlenty
    SparklesPlenty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You will likely try and look for every other answer under the sun because you don't like my opinion, but to me it is pretty obvious what the problem is.

I value your opinion, which is why I asked for it. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't pigeonhole me into this persona of narrow mindedness.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Put away the scale, stop eating 800 -1100 calories a day start weight lifting and work on adding 10 lbs of muscle. This will get you where you want. You are probably gaining weight based on your body fighting for resources. There is a thread somewhere on here about eating 700 calories a day and gaining weight. i will see if I can dig it up.
  • SparklesPlenty
    Options
    um..wheres your fruit? And you eat VERY limited veggies! And you are 118 and want to weigh 107? why? Im just curious.

I used to weigh 107 all last year and I liked how I looked, how my clothes fit and how I felt.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Your body fat is 18%. :noway: and you are trying to lose just a few pounds.......

You need to be eating WAY more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Any chance you have an ED or history of it?
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'd say you might be taking in too much sodium... and definitely try adding some more fruits/veggies.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

this. You need to take care of yourself. You look amazing..your numbers read "HEALTHY" all across the board. Eat more please...even just 1200 :)
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OK, a quick peruse of your past week looks like you run under most days, you had one spike day, and when you exercise, you don't eat any extra calories. More water, more eating! :) I ran into a similar circumstance where I stepped up my workouts and my weight loss stopped. Upping my calories and trying to make sure I ate when I exercised seems to have turned the tide for me. I try to eat healthy to make up those exercise calories, but you need to put fuel in the tank. Our bodies are too efficient and will adjust to deficiencies, and not the way we want them to! :)
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    I entered your info on a TDEE calculator and I'd say it is closer to 1800, and that is with a sedentary lifestyle and little exercise ( http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee ). We weigh close to the same and I'm eating about 1,000 calories more than you and losing weekly. You should probably try eating more all around and give it a couple weeks to take effect. I think you will feel much better that way.
  • SparklesPlenty
    Options

No.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    At looking at the past few days... not nearly enough calories, hardly no fruits or veggies, alcohol. You could totally revamp, try it for a few weeks to give it a real go, and just see how you feel then. Good luck!!