Is Ketchup really that bad for you?

Options

Replies

• groovyfirechick
    Options
    I use organic ketchup. It has no HFCS and only organic ingredients. Heinz makes organic ketchup and Whole Foods has their 365 brand which is very affordable and organic!
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like MUSTARD! Mwhahaha! Why have ketchup when you can have mustard?!?! :bigsmile:
  • ShannonD13
    ShannonD13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Pittsburgh, near the Heinz factory. We always have it in the fridge and a backup in the cupboard. I can't imagine eating without it. Even a little dab will do ya!
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have ketchup or bbq sauce over most my dinners lol makes boring veggies taste nice :D
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Ketchup is pretty darn low in calories. But personally, I prefer a glob of salsa, even on my burgers. Same juiciness, more flavor.
  • jamer13
    jamer13 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes Ketchup is bad for you, only if you are consuming a lot of it which I see most people said. A teaspoon or whatever you are using to put on your eggs is no big deal.

Try salsa though, I have done that with my eggs and it is very good, just to change it up every now and then.

Good luck!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm really having a hard time understanding all the "ketchup is bad for you" comments. How is it bad if you fit it into your calories and macros? Is ketchup secretly laced with arsenic that I'm not aware of or some other lethal poison?

ketchup.jpg
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Ketchup is a treat I usually put on my eggs. I also throw a little mustard on em.

I feel its a better alternative than a hotdog.

This is my typical meal at work (we get 1 free meal a day). I felt like it was a little too much ketchup though. But again, better than most of my other choices.

430241_10150663879543482_500843481_9304895_547900525_n.jpg
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm really having a hard time understanding all the "ketchup is bad for you" comments. How is it bad if you fit it into your calories and macros? Is ketchup secretly laced with arsenic that I'm not aware of or some other lethal poison?

ketchup.jpg

I'm a ketchup-aholic too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to eat a bowl of white rice with a lot of ketchup... lol
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The main use for ketchup is to mask the taste of badly-cooked food...

I don't think it's bad for you, but if you do want an alternative, salsa would be good.
  • sweetie1975
    sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Unless you are going to eat a bottle a day, then it's not bad for you!

Nothing in moderation is bad for you!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's usually very high in sodium, but a tablespoon here and there isn't going to be that bad.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    YES! Ketchup will bend your mind, curve your spine and lose the war for the Allies!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    It all depends on which one you get. Some include high fructose corn syrup. A lot of folks say that's the devil, I don't know. I just hate the taste. It tends to be high in sugar and sweeteners in any case. It's typically high in salt. You can get organize ones that are lower in all that junk.

All in all, 1 tbsp isn't really a bad thing. If you're having half a cup of it, I'd be more concerned about it.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yes?
    Ketchup is a low-calorie condiment, made from tomatoes, vinegar, salt, pepper, and spices. It contains 15 calories per tablespoon and vitamins A and C. Compared with its competitor mayonnaise, ketchup has no fat and far fewer calories per tablespoon (mayo contains 103 calories, 12 grams fat). This makes it a healthier choice for those trying to cut out added calories.

Processed and cooked tomatoes were also found to have high levels of the antioxidant lycopene. In 2004, a study released from the Harvard School of Public Health revealed that women who had higher levels of lycopene in their blood had a 50% lower risk for developing heart disease. That study also proved useful for ketchup manufacturers who got the word out that their product is “healthy.” After that I found friends, family and even clients who’d squeeze bottles of ketchup on their plate and rationalize its overuse by saying, “hey, it’s good for me!”

No?
    Two ingredients of concern in ketchup are salt and sugar. Per tablespoon, ketchup contains 4 grams of sugar and 190 milligrams of sodium. Although 4 grams of sugar doesn’t seem like a lot, much of it comes from added sugar, as opposed to the natural sugar found in tomatoes. The same goes for the added salt: consuming 8 tablespoons of ketchup will have you reaching your sodium needs for the entire day, so if you like to pour on the red stuff, it’s easy to overload on sodium.

Although ketchup is technically made with the 5 simple ingredients listed above, food companies have de-virginized its ingredient list by adding stuff like high fructose corn syrup, natural flavoring, and tomato concentrate.

The Verdict
    Ketchup can definitely be a wonderful addition to your healthy diet in moderation, of course. If you’re not a fan of some of the mainstream ketchups that contain a laundry list of ingredients, there are several brands you can find which contain the basic 5. Some brands with healthier ingredients include:, Annie’s Natural Organic Ketchup, 365 Organic Tomato Ketchup and Trader Joe’s Organic Ketchup. Another option is to make your own.
  • Emmersen
    Emmersen Posts: 3
    Options
    I like you attitude! You can find something 'good for you' in most things you eat! Even Reese's cups!!! = )
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    YES! Ketchup will bend your mind, curve your spine and lose the war for the Allies!

true!!!! Also I saw a youtube video saying the Iluminati created the ketchup!!! lol
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Mmm...now I'm craving some scrambled eggs and hash browns with ketchup slathered all over both. *drool*
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I would DIE without ketchup!!! It's one of my favorite things ever.
  • sa1712
    sa1712 Posts: 11
    Options
    how would it compare to doritos jar of salsa (this is the only salsa I can get in my area)

i like both equally, which would be better for me?