Oatmeal in my Rice Cooker... why didn't I think of this befo

Options
dclarsh
dclarsh Posts: 364
I really like oatmeal for breakfast, but I hate making it in the morning before work. It's kind of a pain in the butt. Either you have to stand over the stove stirrring it, or you have to watch it like a hawk in the microwave so it doesn't explode all over the place. I don't like instant oatmeal because of all the crap they put in it to make it instant. So what's a girl to do?

I've discovered that I can make it in my rice cooker! I put in all the ingredients the night before. In the morning, I just plug it in and flip the switch and then go take a shower. By the time my son and I are dressed, it's all ready to go. Nice, tasty, natural oatmeal. My rice cooker has just been promoted to the second most used appliance in my kitchen... after my coffee maker, of course.

Here's the recipe for Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (serves 2)

1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
1 1/2 cup water
1 medium sized apple cut up with skin on
1 TBSP cinnamon
2 tsp regular sugar

Note that I have a regular Kitchenmaid Rice Cooker with no fancy settings... it has "Cook" and "Warm". I used regular Quaker Oats... the ratio of oats to water and cooking time will probably be different if you use Steel Cut or Irish Oats.

Replies

• angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    sounds good... thanks for the idea
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    All I can say is OMG. :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks!
    I'm trying this tomorrow morning!

:flowerforyou:
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Ummm I think I'm going to have to buy me a rice cooker!! Thanks for the excellent idea! :flowerforyou:
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    Awesome!! I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow...this way I can be sure that my son will eat something good for him too, as I'm leaving for work, he's just getting up for summer school! Thanks for the great idea :happy:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I cook steel cut oats this way and it works like gangbusters. Usually I have to let the oats soak overnight first, otherwise they foam over :)
  • prayerfulmom
    prayerfulmom Posts: 409
    Options
    I put steelcut in the crockpot over night.
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    Options
    That's a great idea!! Thanks so much for sharing!! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    I really like oatmeal for breakfast, but I hate making it in the morning before work. It's kind of a pain in the butt. Either you have to stand over the stove stirrring it, or you have to watch it like a hawk in the microwave so it doesn't explode all over the place. I don't like instant oatmeal because of all the crap they put in it to make it instant. So what's a girl to do?

I've discovered that I can make it in my rice cooker! I put in all the ingredients the night before. In the morning, I just plug it in and flip the switch and then go take a shower. By the time my son and I are dressed, it's all ready to go. Nice, tasty, natural oatmeal. My rice cooker has just been promoted to the second most used appliance in my kitchen... after my coffee maker, of course.

Here's the recipe for Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (serves 2)

1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
    1 1/2 cup water
    1 medium sized apple cut up with skin on
    1 TBSP cinnamon
    2 tsp regular sugar

Note that I have a regular Kitchenmaid Rice Cooker with no fancy settings... it has "Cook" and "Warm". I used regular Quaker Oats... the ratio of oats to water and cooking time will probably be different if you use Steel Cut or Irish Oats.

i usually make 1 cup of quaker oats in the morning, i dont even measure the water, and just fill the bowl up into all the oats are submergedwith about 1/4 inch of water, 2 minutes later they are perfect, throw in some craisans and a little brown sugar, yuuuuumy
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I came up with two other recipes since I posted this... thought I would share :smile:

Banana Bread
    1/2 cup oats
    1 1/2 cup water
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 banana, sliced
    1 Tbsp Chinese Five Spice

Maple Brown Sugar Pecan
    1/2 cup oats
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 Tbsp Aunt Jemima lite syrup
    1/4 cup chopped pecans
    1 1/2 cup water (added right before turning on the rice cooker)
  • jb_sweet_99
    Options
    Bumping for the recipes :bigsmile:
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Bump..since I don't have a rice cooker...would the crock pot work??
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump..since I don't have a rice cooker...would the crock pot work??

Bump. I would like to know as well.
  • jb_sweet_99
    Options
    I read online that a crock pot would work, but you would have to use the Steel cut oats instead of the regular or they get too soggy and overdone :bigsmile:
  • laurajoyk
    laurajoyk Posts: 305
    Options
    This is soooo awesome!! I can't wait to try it.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I cook steel cut oats this way and it works like gangbusters. Usually I have to let the oats soak overnight first, otherwise they foam over :)

:love: been eating McManns since you taught me!!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

what do you have to do to cook them in the crock pot
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Great idea. Another use for my rice cooker which is about 40 years old.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

what do you have to do to cook them in the crock pot

hmmm dont know. The rice cooker gets hot enough to boil. I am not sure if you left it on low overnight if it would work.