After work snacking

Options
I have a problem....as soon as I get home from work I feel like I'm starving and want to devour everything and anything I can get my hands on. How do you curb this feeling? What snacks do you have that make you feel full so you don't eat everything? Thanks!!

Replies

• lookatme09
    lookatme09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I eat everything not nailed down. I tried eating an apple on way home to fill myself but I know its stress eating. I actually try to eat less during day so that I can eat more when Im home. If you get any ideas share!! add me as friend
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a snack at work towards the end of the day (around 3pm and I leave at 4:30) which helps me with this. I started only having the snack on workout days, but now I have it everyday. It really helps to stop me from eating everything in sight while cooking dinner!

My favorite snack is 1/2 an avocado topped with lime juice, salt, cumin, cilantro & hot sauce served with a sliced sweet bell pepper. I just eat the avocado right out of the skin with a spoon.
  • ipotakis
    ipotakis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Amen sister, one of my worst habits. I've just started on my healthy eating track, but what works for me so far is to have a small snack at the end of the work day (a 100 calorie bag of chex mix or similar) then go straight to the gym. That way when I actually DO get home, I get started on dinner and don't have that extra time sitting around wondering, "what am i going to eat? i want to eat. food, food, food." Also, I'm weeding out my bad foods and stocking up on good foods. So on occasion when i do sit down and snack after work, I have easy healthier choices available....i like chips and salsa, sweat snap peas (try with a little low fat dressing to dip if you aren't accustomed to a veggie friendly lifestyle yet), skinny cow ice cream treats if you really have a sweet tooth, prunes for a sweet tooth as well (they are seriously nature's candy! so yummy!)
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    This is a common issue for people. You need to find things to occupy you or you'll just continue binging. If I'm at home and find myself craving food for the simple fact that it's readily available, I'll chew a piece of gum.

If you must have a snack, good options are:

Fruit
    Veggies (I'll mix up spicy ranch dip with 0% greek yogurt and dip carrots, celery, brocolli, etc. into that)
    Kashi waffles with natural peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    No-salt added cottage cheese with fresh fruit
    Triscuits
    Almonds
    Kroger carbmaster yogurt
    Frigo light string cheese
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I usually have some sort of snack (like banana & pb), then work out, then have dinner, then have another snack before bed (like cottage cheese or a shake or something).
  • rsmugala
    rsmugala Posts: 35
    Options
    If I work out right after I finish my work shift, it really tends to curb my hunger. And if I work out hard and drink lots of water, my hunger seems to go away!
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I try to fix dinner pretty soon after I get home so I avoid snacking. If we aren't eating dinner right away, I try to get some exercise in or find some other chore to occupy me. Yesterday I weeded our garden. I also try having a snack in the afternoon while I'm still at work.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling if I don't eat enough during the day. I know that people are suggesting fruits or veggies, but honestly, most of the time thats not what I feel like. I have found that a protien snack late afternoon, like string cheese or 100-calories worth of nuts will tide me over until dinner and I don't get that famished feeling.

Another option is to keep the 100-cal granola bars (or other 100-cal snacks) in your car to eat on the way home. Just make sure they fall into your calorie budget.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have some fruit - I like oranges cause its sweet and tangy so i feel like I am eating something with flavour

Berries are great...low in calories and sugar - you can mix this with fat free Greek yogurt and its filling (great after a workout due to high protein content)

Like many here, I too, try to have dinner by 6 PM .

Tea is nice - chai tea has flavour, spice (get your metabolism going) and is filling. you can google for various recipes but I always add a spoon of crushed ginger...makes you feel more awake (blood thinner)
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling if I don't eat enough during the day. I know that people are suggesting fruits or veggies, but honestly, most of the time thats not what I feel like. I have found that a protien snack late afternoon, like string cheese or 100-calories worth of nuts will tide me over until dinner and I don't get that famished feeling.

Another option is to keep the 100-cal granola bars (or other 100-cal snacks) in your car to eat on the way home. Just make sure they fall into your calorie budget.

Those are some good ideas
    I use (light) laughing cow cheese or hummus on some melba toast as a mid afternoon snack for protien
  • MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    I used to have this problem all the time. I wasn't eating a very filling lunch, which made me starving when I got home. Now, I eat a little more at lunch, and then allow myself a small snack in the afternoon. I usually have some nuts, dried fruit, cottage cheese, or a granola bar. I also make sure dinner is 2 or 3 hours, tops, away.
  • mandi108
    mandi108 Posts: 16
    Options
    I try to have a huge bottle of water either on the way home or waiting for me when I get home. Sometimes our bodies mistake dehydration for hunger. So if I drink the water and I still feel hungry, then I know I really need a small healthy snack. Hope this helps. I need friends on here so if anyone wants to add me, feel free to!:smile:
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I do this too! I tell myself I'm just going to have half an avocado on crackers, but then I end up eating a lot of other things.

The best thing to do is not start snacking in the first place. I find this is easiest if I have a strict plan for doing something immediately after work. Like yesterday I came home, fed and walked the dogs, and then went straight to yoga. Or if I need to do work on the laptop I'll go straight to a coffeeshop. By then time I'm done with my post-work activity it's dinnertime and I've successfully avoided the late afternoon binge.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    That was me for a while. I pushed my afternoon snack to 4:00 and that has helped. I have about an hour drive home so by the time I am home I am starving sometimes, makes me want to snack, or run through the drive thru for dinner. What I have started is having dinner ready in the crockpot, or already prepared so all I have to do is heat it up.
  • imommy249
    imommy249 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try an apple with about 12 almonds. It changes the taste of the apple and is very satisfying. Works well for me and then I head out for a run.
  • lrwlady
    lrwlady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need to eat on arriving home too. My "standard snack" is a glass of V-8, 6-8 triscuits or wheat thins, and hommos. Sometimes I substitute with almonds, mini lite bonbel, or toasted edamame. It is filling and takes the edge off, so I can cook a sensible dinner a bit later, and hopefully avoid too many late pm nibbles before bedtime.
  • jebanta
    jebanta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Witching hour!

Everyone has great ideas for snacks! I heav a bottle of water that I drink on my way home. And when I get home, I make a cup of tea. I drink the tea as I start dinner. IF I'm still hungry after the tea, then I will nibble on something. But I've found since adding tea I'm not actually hungry. Plus we start dinner early, so that I can get to the gym after dinner but before little one's bedtime.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I don't work but I do find that I get hungry and really "snacky" around 3pm. I used to love to stand around eating pretzels or crackers but now I will make a mini version of the protein shake I drink for breakfast. 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1/2 cup almond milk, and 2 tbs pb2 instead of 1 tbs regular peanut butter. It fills me up until dinner. In general I find that protein shakes are the only things that really keep me full.
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    I try to do two snacks a day at work just small things like grapes, sugar free pudding or jello
    cheese and crackers, vanilla wafers, kettle popcorn are some things i snack on

and drink lots of water that helps