Shrimp and Talapia recipes

Options

Replies

• Slhuth
    Slhuth Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love Talapia...all I do is put melted butter on top and put lemon/pepper on it and bake in oven
  • amgriffin69
    Options
    what is your recipe for mango salsa and avocado
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    bump
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • liswilla
    liswilla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I made fish tacos using tilapia last night. I used Bobby Flay's recipe...it was fantastic and WAY more flavorful than I expected. The salsa recipe made a lot so it can be refrigerated and used again. I'm pre-diabetic and 2 corn tortillas stay within my carb range so I subbed those for flour. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/fish-tacos-recipe/index.html

My computer will not allow me to visit the foodnetwork site... can you copy and paste the recipe for me and e-mail it to me please?

Lisa
  • _Eye_Sparkle
    Options
    Great ideas...I must get some marinade!
  • _Eye_Sparkle
    Options
    I like Tilapia a lot as well. One of the ways I like to have mine is a cilantro-lime tilapia. I season my fish with salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash herbs & garlic seasoning, cumin, and seasoning salt (on one side ONLY or it will be too salty). Then I squeeze lime juice over the fish and sautee it in olive oil. Once it is done I sprinkle cilantro on top and a bit more lime to really bring out the flavor. I usually have mine with an avacado salsa that I make, and black beans and brown rice. Yummy!

Sounds delicious!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Tilapia, I season with some lemon pepper or mrs dash garlic and bake. And the kids love when I cut it up, bread it( dip in skim milk and then seasoned bread crumbs) and bake those-homemade fish sticks! Dh will season it, wrap in foil and grill it.

Shrimp on the grill is amazing too!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    i use this recipe a lot: http://www.food.com/recipe/asian-style-grilled-tilapia-192282

The fish tastes great, and I usually substitute cayenne or chili powder for the red pepper flakes, because i don't care for them.

It's very low-cal, but watch the sodium!
  • uniquemoves
    uniquemoves Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    BUMP this...
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Try making a tortilla-less fish tacos!

This is what we do:

Chop up cabbage and cilantro, and throw in corn, black beans, diced bell pepper and whatever the heck else you have laying around the house. Mix it together with a little lime juice and throw in some salsa.

Lay a cooked tilapia fillet on top of the mess and drizzle some dressing on top. We like to use this SUPER low-cal, spicy and creamy sauce:

Dice up 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (you can get this in a can) and mix it into 1-2 cups of Nancy's Organic Plain Nonfat Yogurt.

It's seriously fantastic!!!
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Im allergic to shellfish so I can't help with the shrimp (but a quick google will turn up tons of ideas.)

My favorite way to eat tilapia is to bake it then add some mango salsa and diced avocado. So yummy! (I do the same thing to chicken breast.)

The mango salsa is AWESOME on tilapia with the avacado! I love it that way.

We eat a lot of fish. I make a mexican seasoning that's basically a mixture of cumin, red pepper, chili powder, and a little oregano. I use a little olive oil (just a thin brush across the bottom of the dish), lay the fish on, coat with the seasoning, squeeze a little lime juice, and then broil it for 5 min or less, just until flaky. Then I found this recipe for an avacado sauce on a runners website:

1 small avocado
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup nonfat sour cream or nonfat yogurt
    4 tsps lime juice
    3 Tbs. chopped scallions
    1/4 tsp. cumin
    hot pepper sauce or ground red pepper
    salt

Put all that in a blender or food processor, adding more water if it's too thick. It should be a little "saucy," like a salad dressing. When the fish is done, use about a tablespoon of the sauce over the fish. It's pretty yummy!

For shrimp I use this marinade and also broil them:

Juice of a large lemon or lime
    big clove of garlic, crushed or pressed
    2 tsps olive oil
    favorite herb (thyme, basil, dill, ... whatever you like)

I peel and clean the shrimp and just shake them in the marinade and let them sit a couple of minutes (not too long). Then I lay them in the dish and broil them just until done. These are good over rice or with quinoa.

Sides: steamed spinach w/a little sea salt
    steamed broccoli or cauliflower
    quinoa (with or without veggies cooked in)
    brown rice cooked in chicken stock/broth
    broiled or grilled zucchini (cut long ways)
    steamed or grilled asparagus
    boiled new potatoes with a little butter and fresh parsley
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    what is your recipe for mango salsa and avocado

It's really, really hard! Are you ready? I go to Costco, buy the big jug of mango salsa and dump some on my fish. Then I cut up some fresh avocado and dump that on too. ;D

Really, any of the mango or mango/peach salsas are good. I put my plate on my food scale and weigh out the salsa and avocado so I can log them accurately. Easy and tasty.
  • justET
    justET Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Dice up 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (you can get this in a can) and mix it into 1-2 cups of Nancy's Organic Plain Nonfat Yogurt.
    I love this idea. Thanks! I do something similar for our fish tacos except us reduced-fat mayo and spice it up.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    B U M P
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I never really think of using lime, but love the flavor. I'll have to try some lime on baked tilapia. Sounds delicious!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Tilapia:
    Some olive oil, brush both sides
    garlic powder, dillweed, and a squirt of lemon juice
    grill (I use a george foreman)

Shrimp:
    butter & minced garlic
    grill

tasteofhome.com has a lot of recipes

I'm also a fan of just boiling shrimp and eating that way, yummmm