Working out and Eating healthy but gained weight???

Options
I Have been working out and eating healthy lately but I weighed myself this morning at the gym and I've gained weight! What happened??? Also, in the mornings after I eat breakfast after my workout (which usually consists of half an english muffin with a little peanut butter and either a cup of yogurt or two scrambled eggs and a few strawberries and a cup of coffee) my stomach hurts so bad! What is wrong??

Replies

• KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    could be a number of things....your body can retain water as the muscles heal...which would cause an increase in the weight.....or you may not be drinking enough water to flush out the water weight.....or it could just be an off day....or it could be close to that time? i know i usually gain 2-3lbs during that....my suggestion is pick one day a week and only that one day a week to step on the scale if you are not doing so already....as for the hurting stomach....maybe try eating breakfast BEFORE you workout??? start the day with fuel before you burn it off??? might help the stomach issues?? i always try to eat first before any workout so i know i have the fuel i need for that workout
  • sweetebonyprincess
    sweetebonyprincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump.... i have the same problem gained weight would be good to hear everyone's opinions
  • ting1789
    ting1789 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pulled out a tape measure lately to see what it has to say about your body? How soon after your workout are you eating? I can't do a half hour before or a half hour after if I work out.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It is best to make your diary public if you want advice. :-)
  • jb06592
    jb06592 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh i'm sorry! I'm new to this!
  • jb06592
    Options
    No, I don't have a tape measurer (I'm a college student, definitely not something I have on hand haha :) ) and It is usually about 20-30 minutes after I workout that I eat breakfast
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I definately recommend getting a tap measurer. I was very slow to losing weight but I was losing a lot of inches.
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You do need to burn fat ... So you need to track your heart rate with an Heart Rate Monitor
    In order to navigate around your lipolytic threshold.
    See link below for exact calculation

http://michelebologna.net/en/2011/03/allenarsi-nel-modo-giusto-con-il-cardiofrequenzimetro/

Hope this will help
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Define eating healthy? Low calories =/= healthy. Most days you are really under your goal. It's all water weight as you haven't eaten 7000 calories in excess of your TDEE (amount of calories you burn throughout the day including lifestyle and exercise). When you workout, your muscle fibers can rip and your body uses water to repair them.

The biggest thing is really understand your weight loss goal and eat to your goal. Eating less doesn't mean losing more.
  • munchgen
    munchgen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been slow at loosing weight as well. I have found when I eat after working out I realy don't eat as much because I am pumped with the water that I consumed during my exercise. Now I don't have a tape measuer either but I am feeling that I have lost inces. Now on your case remember that muscle weights more than fat so you might be gaining muscle. Now for the food part. I think after reading all that it might be too much for your stomach to handle after you exercise.
  • jb06592
    Options
    Well I thought I had pretty well balanced diet. I try to eat more fruits and vegetables and less greasy foods and such. I drink plenty of water throughout the day. I have a big cup I take everywhere with me to refill constantly.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    When I experience this I start weighing and measuring my portions. I get more detailed in my diary reports. It is easy for me to nibble and not measure or report.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Weight can just be a number that messes with you. For example, if you drink a half litre of water, you just gained a pound (until that water comes back out)

That or the scale just hates you. I had one that more than once that determined I gained 3 pounds just by takeing a crap. That scale was evil, we left it behind when we moved.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Weight can just be a number that messes with you. For example, if you drink a half litre of water, you just gained a pound (until that water comes back out)

That or the scale just hates you. I had one that more than once that determined I gained 3 pounds just by takeing a crap. That scale was evil, we left it behind when we moved.

I hope you warned the new owners that it was evil and determined to eat at your self esteem?

Hee.
  • Vraicroyant
    Options
    One of the things I saw in your diary was a regular coke. Full coke products alone can account for up to 40 pounds a year due to the sugar in them. My husband stopped drinking them about three years ago and he lost 35 pounds just from removing that from his diet. It might be just one but that sugar adds up after awhile. Not everyone can process them (and the sugars) well. Another thing you may want to consider is if you are just starting to work out, you may gain weight for the first three weeks (average) simply because you are building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. My last suggestion would be to be aware of the times you are eating. If you're eating later in the day (ie anytime after 6 p.m.), you may retain weight more than if you ate between say, 5-6 p.m. The reason for this is because your body doesn't have as much activity and help processing the food if you eat late. It's a good idea to have three medium sized meals and two snacks during the day.
  • AnnaTennent01
    AnnaTennent01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi JB

Well done so far, I don't know if it is an urban myth but most people say that muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue; so it may be that you are turning blob into firm stuff. Do you have a deadline important event? If not then with regard to the amount of eating and hunger you are suffering I think you might find it easier to do the following:

1. Allow yourself to lose weight more slowly, by doing this you can slightly increase your calorie intake and eat more regular meals. I achieved a higher calorie allowance by telling myfitness that I was more active than I thought I was.

2. Eat smaller amounts 4 times a day - allow yourself a small amount of carbs and stick to low GI carbs where possible. I'm told that my 12th and 14th March are good examples of a diet day by my gym manager.

3. Think about dividing a plate visually in 1/4s and then allow yourself 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb, 1/2 fruits and vegetables. Remembering that cheese and milk products count as protein.

4. Drink a good glass of water before every meal.

5. Mix up your exercise more and the time of day that you exercise if you can, the aerobic elliptical trainer will improve your fitness levels but repetitive weights and resistance exercises are better at burning fat; they also trick the body into thinking its exercising for longer. Perhaps you could go for a jog or a brisk walk...

6. Weigh yourself once a week, you can lose and gain loads in a day with water retention. Make it an early Monday morning ritual, weighing in immediately after you have got up before you dress and eat anything!

Hope that this is helpful!

Cheers & hope it goes better next week
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    I'm another slow to lose weight - 7lbs since I joined up at the start of the year, but since I've been doing this my clothes size has dropped, my shape is changing and I feel better about myself.

People are too obsessed with what the scales say
    Scales.jpg
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough. Find out what your BMR is and eat at LEAST that everyday, more on workout days. Your body is retaliating. Feed it! There are lots and lots of threads on here about eating your BMR. Do some research and give it a try.
  • jb06592
    Options
    All of you are so helpful! Thank you!! I don't want to be unhealthy at all. I want to gain good eating habits and lose weight naturally through eating well and exercising! Thank you!