Pureeing Tomatoes?

Options
The_Ub
The_Ub Posts: 7 Member
I found a recipe for a low sodium spaghetti sauce. The directions say to puree 15 roma tomatoes, so being the culinary genius I am I looked up how to puree tomatoes on the net. All the directions I could find involve boiling them for a little while and then peeling the skins. My question is, could I just make this sauce by simply putting the tomatoes in the blender right from the get go?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Blanch and peel. The peeling is gross if you just blend it up. I also try to seed mine first. Turns out really great if I peel and seed.

Had to fix that nasty typo, I hate those.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Blanch and peel. The peeling is gross if you just blend it up. I also try to seed mine first. Turns out really great if I peel and seed.

Had to fix that nasty typo, I hate those.
    This. Take a little extra time unless you want the fiber.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you don't peel, you will end up with rolled up bits of peel when you DO cook the sauce. Some people are fine with this, but when I make tomato soup, i have to peel.

If you have local organic tomatoes, they are pretty easy to peel without blanching. My backyard tomatoes practically jump out of the peel in summertime.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    blanch and peel is the best way, I tend to but a cross in the top (not the stalk end) before boiling so that the skin is easier to peel.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If the tomatoes are firm you can remove the skins with a good vegetable peeler. I hate the blanching method-- so messy and tedious!
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you can also try something a little different... and super tasty. I chop my tomatoes in chunks, add chopped onions, mix in a bit of olive oil, baslamic vinegar, garlic, and S&P. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes at 375-400.

Then mash or puree. Makes a great sauce!
  • The_Ub
    The_Ub Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you can also try something a little different... and super tasty. I chop my tomatoes in chunks, add chopped onions, mix in a bit of olive oil, baslamic vinegar, garlic, and S&P. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes at 375-400.

Then mash or puree. Makes a great sauce!

Wow, that sounds really good ,and easy! Will have to omit the Salt though.