What to eat while on vacation in new Orleans

Options
2»

Replies

• myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Some friends and I are going to New Orleans for spring break next week. I am overly nervous about how I'm going to maintain my healthy diet while down in the south. Although I avoid processed foods at home, I'm planning on bringing Luna bars to have as some meals along with whatever fruits and veggies I can find. Does anyone else have some suggestions as to healthy options in New Orleans (or in general?). Anything is greatly appreciated! I'm flying down so foods that are okay to have on a carry-on case are great :smile:

Do not stay away from anything. Having grown up near New Orleans, I will tell you that the food is incredible. Enjoy all the food available. You can get back on track after your vacation.
  • MrsKato1021
    MrsKato1021 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I recently went on vacations, hers what I did..for breakfast I had a shakeology shake, for lunc I kept it simple and ate salads or lean deli meats, and then for dinner I ate what I wanted but limited the amount of fatty foods..I also ate dessert ...because you are on vacation, but you don't want to wreck the work you have already done..but keeping it simple for breakfast and lunch really helped me...back from vacation and I only put on 2lbs, which I'm sure is just water weight..because I' didn't drink all my water. Good luck:)
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    totally forgot about the river walk ( i have my moments)
    deff check out the river walk , french quarter, aquarium , the audobon zoo (if thats your thing)
    you will get alot of walking in
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    gumbo soups
    Fish
    Shrimp
    Crawfish
    Alligator

The bengiets are awesome!!! With some hot cocoa! You on VACATION so enjoy a little!

Have Fun!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    bengiets and muffelattas
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    you can LOAD UP on shrimp...just not fried.
    anyhoo....crawfish tastle like dirt
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Do not even attempt to be healthy in New Orleans. It's a sin. I mean, dead serious. Sinful to not indulge in the deliciousness that Nola has to offer. Just dance and walk enough to burn some extra cals and get back on track next week.

You must have:
    A muffaletta from Central Grocery
    Any of the number of signature drinks from Tropical Isle
    Mother's (or some other to-die-for poboy place) Roast Beef Poboy with Debris
    Beignets (they aren't my thing as powdered sugar infuriates me, but tasty to most)

Whoever said "stay away from gumbo" is a numbnut. I make a fairly healthy gumbo. Just don't eat it with gobs of rice and you probably won't be too bad off.
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    also...if you have a chance check our Herbsaint (restaurant on St. Charles)....it ROCKS!!!!
  • shortymordy
    Options
    Some friends and I are going to New Orleans for spring break next week. I am overly nervous about how I'm going to maintain my healthy diet while down in the south. Although I avoid processed foods at home, I'm planning on bringing Luna bars to have as some meals along with whatever fruits and veggies I can find. Does anyone else have some suggestions as to healthy options in New Orleans (or in general?). Anything is greatly appreciated! I'm flying down so foods that are okay to have on a carry-on case are great :smile:

Do not stay away from anything. Having grown up near New Orleans, I will tell you that the food is incredible. Enjoy all the food available. You can get back on track after your vacation.

^^^This! Seriously, it's New Orleans, one of the premier food capitals of the world. You don't have to go crazy, but definitely enjoy yourself. I'm going down for Jazz Fest next month, and I'll probably eat my day's worth of calories in one meal! But I'm doing everything I can to sensibly lose weight before then, I plan on getting in a workout while I'm down there, and get right back on track when I'm back.

To me, it's worth an extra 30 minutes of working out for a couple of weeks in order to enjoy some of the finest food on the planet!
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

^^^This! Seriously, it's New Orleans, one of the premier food capitals of the world. You don't have to go crazy, but definitely enjoy yourself. I'm going down for Jazz Fest next month, and I'll probably eat my day's worth of calories in one meal! But I'm doing everything I can to sensibly lose weight before then, I plan on getting in a workout while I'm down there, and get right back on track when I'm back.

To me, it's worth an extra 30 minutes of working out for a couple of weeks in order to enjoy some of the finest food on the planet!

^^ again, THIS. And have the beignets AT Cafe du Monde. My husband doesn't even have a sweet tooth and he LOVED them. They are worth it and sharing a plate with some coffee (with lots of milk) or hot chocolate on the outside patio is fantastic.

I like to find "hole in the wall" places for gumbo and jambalaya.

Oh I love NoLA!!!!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Red beans and rice aren't really that bad... they are super filling so you can eat less of them. If you are into it you can get peel and eat shrimp (no added cals there), crawdads, raw oysters.... all nice healthy seafood, steamed, boiled or raw. Lots of protein, super filling. I make "low country boil" at home all the time! Dress'm with lemon, cocktail sauce or hot sauce... no calories gained...
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    EAT IT ALL!~ If you will be walking through out the day and doing a workout every day you can easily burn over 500 calories. I go to NOLA every year. Each day have a different creole dish but eat half the portion, a sensible breakfast and ENJOY your trip to NOLA!
  • addisonbolin
    Options
    If you are worried about staying fit while in New Orleans, check out www.jogneworleans.com

It offers jogging tours throughout the city. It's a great way to see the city while staying in shape!