Should I Increase my daily calories?

Options
I am only three weeks in on MFP. I had a baby 9 months ago and would like to lose about 10 pounds. I have lost approx 4 so far. I put in that I would like to lose 2 pounds a week, although that hasn't happened. I'm wondering if I am eating too few calories. I feel great and excersize often so i'm ok in that department. Please let me know what you all think.

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    1000 calories/day is an awfully high deficit for such a small loss. Matter of fact, with 9 lbs to go I'd think you'd be looking at half a pound per week, which is 250 calories/day.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess,

You've only been here 3 weeks and have already lost 4lbs? That's awesome! I think since you don't have much to lose, 2# per week would be too much. Consider resetting your goal to lose 0.5# a week.
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    Definitely put it to 1 pound or half a pound a week. At 2 pounds per week, you'll be starving yourself. There's no rush, and if you do it more gradually, you're more likely to keep it off.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    the general guideline is the less you have to lose, the slower you should lose it. if you had say 50 lbs. or so to lose, then i'd go with 2lb. loss per week goal. since you only have 10 lbs, i'd agree with all of the above and set it for 1/2 lb. per week. If you're working out, make sure you're eating back at least some of your exercise calories!!
  • Rachel5K
    Rachel5K Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I know from experience, eating too few calories will make you plateau, or even worse; gain! If you kill your metabolism, it can be hard to get back to where you were to begin with. I have heard that breast feeding also helps knock the baby weight off a bit more rapidly as well. :)
  • Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this too because I'm on my last 10 pounds. So I'm going to change my setting to lose 1 pound a week and see what happens. Thanks, folks!
  • jessnate0417
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I think I will change my goal. I am not rushing things, I just want to feel good about myself. My current calorie intake is 1200 calories, I just noticed I didn't say that before. I do eat back most of what I exercise and I usually try to stay within that 1200 calories, however I noticed last week I lost weight when I went a bit over. Thanks again :)
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I think I will change my goal. I am not rushing things, I just want to feel good about myself. My current calorie intake is 1200 calories, I just noticed I didn't say that before. I do eat back most of what I exercise and I usually try to stay within that 1200 calories, however I noticed last week I lost weight when I went a bit over. Thanks again :)

Also, you have a baby... who will be starting to crawl/walk/run around and will already certainly be leading you towards more of an active lifestyle that you used to, so basically, don't starve yourself. You really do need the energy as a parent to help keep you happy, patient and alert 24/7... well, I certainly found so!