Does anyone else find this disheartening?

Sometimes I look at how far I've come and where I want to be, and I feel great — and then I see something like this
(Moderator removed images)

This girl is the same height as me, and her "start" weight is the weight I want to be at when I maintain. Now logically, I know that everyone holds weight differently and my body may be more fit than that when I reach the same weight because I've been incorporating so much exercise, but it's still frustrating on some level. For an idea of how my body holds weight, this is me right now at 169 (14 pounds above her start weight)

tumblr_m0mvetPnbw1r6b28yo1_r1_250.jpgtumblr_m0mvetPnbw1r6b28yo2_r2_250.jpg

Am I letting things get to me too much, or does anyone else have similar experiences?

Replies

• you have good times and bad times i think you look very good just stick to and when you feel a bit down just look at some old cloths you wore and see how big they where makes you feel 10timws better
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    I dont think you should post other ppl's pictures without their consent
  • We all have those days. Try not to compare yourself to others. Everyone carries thier weight differently. Just love who you are and the progress you are making!
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    I dont think you should post other ppl's pictures without their consent

Her picture was posted on a public submissions blog on tumblr full of before and after pictures, so she consented to have it shared and reposted since the main purpose of posts on tumblr is to be "reblogged" which is basically sharing a post by placing it on your own blog.
  • I dont think you should post other ppl's pictures without their consent

people post their pictures and that is their consent. It may not be the way they wanted it. But if you share it. It will be shared...

And for Logicandlove: I know how you feel, but you look great, don't let it get to you :)
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Yeah but then again what's disheartening to me is that even though my starting weight was lower than your current I didn't look as good as you do AT ALL!!! and even how much I'll lose, I'll never have that waist-hip ratio you're sporting ALREADY!!!!

so stop posting these pics of yourself right now! SNIF!
  • In my opinion, your stomach looks smaller than hers did at the beginning.

Yes, everyone carries their weight differently, and you can tone up by weight lifting, which means you will lose inches and tone up areas like legs or whatever.

Plus, as you lose weight, your goal weight may change. Mine did, by about 5 lbs, but I am ok with that!

good luck :)
  • NubianSpirit
    NubianSpirit Posts: 101 Member
    i am with you on the whole feeling deflated thing. you and the other posters here are correct, there are a lot of differences in people's bodies: we carry weight differently, some of us look healthy at a weight that makes another person look heavy and another person look sickly, some people can eat anything & be fine, others have to monitor every calorie that goes in, some bearly exercise & get results, others have to work their a$$es off to see even the slightest result.

as i type these words, i find me laughing at myself a little because last week i was bascially asking the same question. and while i seem to be perfectly capable of providing you with a logical answer, i am having a hell of a time internalizing it myself.

here's the deal (a little hourglass to hourglass tough love, if you will): you and i share the hourglass figure that ladies of the 1950s & 60s would have done anything to achieve. unfortunately for us, the popular media that we have grown up with gives us the impression that while marilyn monroe was a knockout, she probably wouldn't have made it in the industry today or at least not without going on a diet to trim down her shapely hips (can't imagine them complaining about her 24" waist). i WISH that popular media would include more images of shapely women, but until they do we are going to have to quietly remind ourselves every single day that we are beautiful too, even if our body doubles never make their way onto the airbrushed cover of a magazine.

:flowerforyou:
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    I think you look great. I would love to have curves like you.
    I think the girl in the picture looks great too. I wish I could look like her. I weigh 120 and will never have a flat tummy like her.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,315 Member
    OP, I think you look fantastic! If you get to 155, you'll still look fantastic! You have the body I wish I had, but I have no hips or booty.

I think you have the perfect body. The first example of the other girl has some black shorts, and part of a black chair behind it. Very much an optical illusion. Had she been wearing bikini bottoms in the first picture, you would have probably thought she looked great at 155. Also, the lighting of the second picture is much better for the coloring in her skin, and it is a top-down photo taken from further away from the mirror. All these things make a big difference in how you perceive the photo. I think she looks underweight at 134, IMO.

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Don't worry about it.

When you reach your goal you can reassess and give yourself a new goal. Even if she is your height she may not have your bone structure so you might look just fine at the same weight her SW was.

Seriously, let it go, don't let it distract you and keep pushing.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Don't feel deflated, just keep on your journey and recognize that as all bodies hold weight differently, goals may change. I'm realizing that I have a small frame (had no idea, always thought I was "big boned" even when I was thin), so now when I hit my original target, I'm going to re-evaluate if I'm good or if I should go for 5 more lbs since with small frame the target is moving.

Good luck - you look fantastic!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Each of our bodies are different. The way we carry our weight can be really different. Same height and weight does not mean same measurements and looks! It depends on how muscular you are, how you carry your weight, where you carry your weight. I think you look great at 169!

Don't let another's success diminish yours. You are different from everyone else around here. You only need to compete with yourself!
  • No offense to the other girl; but I think you look better than she does!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    It's easy to compare yourself to someone who appears to be doing better than you or look better than you? Think of all the people though, who are looking at your picture and feeling the same way about themselves. Honestly, I think you have a great body! Try not to get trapped into a mentality where you are comparing yourself to others. Take pride in what you have accomplished and how wonderful you look! :happy:
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Sometimes I look at how far I've come and where I want to be, and I feel great — and then I see something like this
    tumblr_m16rvvXPYZ1rn1i8ao1_500.jpg

This girl is the same height as me, and her "start" weight is the weight I want to be at when I maintain. Now logically, I know that everyone holds weight differently and my body may be more fit than that when I reach the same weight because I've been incorporating so much exercise, but it's still frustrating on some level. For an idea of how my body holds weight, this is me right now at 169 (14 pounds above her start weight)

tumblr_m0mvetPnbw1r6b28yo1_r1_250.jpgtumblr_m0mvetPnbw1r6b28yo2_r2_250.jpg

Am I letting things get to me too much, or does anyone else have similar experiences?

I think you're letting this get to you too much. That other girl's thighs touch at her starting weight. Yours don't. You've got a hip to waist ratio I'd kill for. Don't worry. Keep up the hard work. You look good know, and you'll look great then.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 567 Member
    I like your body more than hers....to be honest... :)
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    YOU LOOK GREAT!!!... I might have missed the point of the post.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Her starting weight is 5 lbs above my goal weight, and we're the same height. Unfortunately I'm about 45 lbs away from the goal, so my disheartening does not come from looking at that- it comes from the fact that I have so far to go. :(

BUT, you look FABULOUS. You have curves...which is what I would kill for!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Everyone carries their weight so differently. And everyone also has a preference as to what weight they are comfortable with. I am also trying to get down to 155 and am 5'7".

Here is a picture of me at 155 (Where I'm trying to get back to) and I think I carry it very differently (not better, not worse) than the before picture. I don't ever aspire to be anything less than 140, simply because I know how hard it was for me to even maintain 150-155.

I never share this picture but I wanted to show you that you are not alone in your boat :) and that I think 155 can be very pretty (that is not meant to sound conceded lol)
    0e5acc10.jpg