Jillian Michaels Shred it with Weights

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone uses Shred it with Weights (with a kettlebell) and knows how many calories they burn during the level one workout? If so, what do you record this type of exercise as? Would it be under circuit training, weight training, etc? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've not done this one, but would be interested in what you think of it, I've read that you burn lots of calories doing kettlebell workouts. The only way to tell how many calories burned is to wear a heart rate monitor.
    I've tested my HRM whilst doing 30DS against circuit training general and it was pretty close.

Are you doing some before and after stats to see how well you've done measurements wise?
  • stacy3
    Options
    I do Jillian Micheal's Thirty Day Shred with weights and she does the 3-2-1 method. If she does the same in your workout then I would say put the workout under strength training. As for the calories burned, I suggest you get a heart rate monitor. Although I am guessing that level 1 would be anywhere from 150-170 calories per workout
  • juday3
    juday3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well I just started this DVD workout with a 10lb Kettle bell. I have done the 30 day shred and I have to say that I sweat a lot more with Shred it with Weights. I really like this workout and recommend it. Thanks for the input.
  • ashleygrob
    Options
    I bought the shred it with weights DVD about a week ago, I use hand weights and I am still on the first segment.
    The first time I tried it I thought it kicked my boootie!

I really liked it though and when i recorded it I put it under strength training and add a little bit of Aerobics in there as well, because for the strength training for 15 min is only 87 calories burned and I felt I must have burned more...

Have you seen any results from the video?
  • juday3
    juday3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not yet but, I feel extremely sore after the workout!
  • ashleygrob
    Options
    HA! I understand what you mean! I have been mixing it in with other work outs, I will do maybe 15 of the weights then switch to cardio or something else...
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You should read this article about the amount of calories you burn during a kettlebell workout! It's insane! Apparently 400 calories during a 20 minute workout!!!

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast
  • mom2mcs
    mom2mcs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do both the Shred it with Weights and the 30 day shred and when I searched for calories burned for the 30 day shred I found (I think on Jillian's web site) it was approximately 302 calories for the level 3 on 30 day shred. I estimate (until I find something more official) that it would be the same. Both have been EXTREMELY effective for me. I highly recommend them both.
  • omgsayalathieo
    Options
    I started the 30 Day Shred this week and I usually burn 300 calories in 20 mins! I used two separate heart monitors and it comes out the same each time.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 Day Shred this week and I usually burn 300 calories in 20 mins! I used two separate heart monitors and it comes out the same each time.

Wow, that's great! I can't wait till I start mine!!!! :smile:
  • ashleywillis33
    Options
    i know that if your using a 10-15 LB ketttlebell and work out for 15 min wiht them , ( like on jillians shred it with weights) you will burn 300 calories in 15 min, her work outs are 30 min long . Thats 600, i do them every morning ! love them!
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    how do you guys post these into your exercise log?
  • kgarvey66
    Options
    whats a kettlebell??
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Bumping this...I tried this DVD today and it kicked my butt! I use kettlebells a lot too so I'm pretty used to them. I used a 15 pounder for this workout and there were times I thought I might drop it.

Highly recommend for a good 25 minute workout!
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180
    Options
    Bumping this for later! :wink:
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone uses Shred it with Weights (with a kettlebell) and knows how many calories they burn during the level one workout? If so, what do you record this type of exercise as? Would it be under circuit training, weight training, etc? Thanks in advance.

I highly recommend getting a heart rate monitor; one that you have to program your individual information. Each person burns calories at different rates depending on many factors including age, gender, weight, height, and resting heart rate. MFP tells me I burn way more calories spinning than my heart rate monitor does. I trust my monitor b/c it is individualized, so I always override the MFP calorie burn number for my actual.
  • vold94
    vold94 Posts: 256
    Options
    I highly recommend getting a heart rate monitor; one that you have to program your individual information. Each person burns calories at different rates depending on many factors including age, gender, weight, height, and resting heart rate. MFP tells me I burn way more calories spinning than my heart rate monitor does. I trust my monitor b/c it is individualized, so I always override the MFP calorie burn number for my actual.

I have been wanting to get one of them, where would you suggest be the best place to buy one and about how much do they cost? I really want one like the biggest loser contestants wear on their biceps. I thought 24/7 fitness gave them theirs, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!
  • msindependent79
    Options
    I just got the DVD and kettlebell today thanks to my sister who knew I had been wanting them!! I am so excited to start now after reading everyones posts!! Good Luck!!
  • wii27
    wii27 Posts: 1
    Options
    Still waiting to hear how doe people post their kettlebells workouts in MFP, since it isn't listed in the options. Thanks!