The Ultimate Vegan Protein Thread

Options

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I've found that Asian grocers offer cheaper seitan, tempeh and tofu than other stores. I stocked up on seitan this morning as I got a nice surprise at the protein content when I logged it.

Seitan tastes great if you cover it with Hoi Sin or Char Siu sauce and bake it in the oven (although it's a bit high in sugar)
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options
    Love this post! What is bumping? I am new on here and am not familiar with that term!
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just in case it's needed: Seitan is pronounced SAY tan, as in the t-shirt 'Praise Seitan'. And tempeh is pronounced TEMM pay.

Also, some places may know seitan as 'wheat meat'. There are lots of different brands out there, but it's cheap and easy to make at home with gluten flour and some spices.

Love making my own.

I learned in some parts of the country Seitan is also called mock duck.
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One more thing... if you are using store bought tempeh, STEAM IT quickly before using it. It releases the bitterness that often turns newbies away from it.
  • peaceinside
    Options
    Oh... my... Gosh...

I'm bumping the hell outta this.

ME TOO!!!!
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Bump! Awesome post!!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I LOVE tofu!!! I had some crispy spicy tofu last night that I tossed in with my udon noodles and veggies and peanut sauce. Oh my! But the 'fu by itself was so good I had to make myself stop eating it so there would be some in the dish!

I do not eat faux meats often at all - I rely on veggie sources or beans/grains for my protein, but I do love the occasional Field Roast product. Yum!
  • chrisandrews75
    chrisandrews75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I made Seitan some last night:
    img00083201112311127.jpg

A cup of flour, a third of water yeilded something between the size of a burger and a quarter pounder.

It tasted a bit like raw pancake annoyingly even though flavourered, so I probably need to blanch or steam it before grilling to cook it out.

I'll certainly be making more.
  • wife2abadge
    wife2abadge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had tempeh in a restaurant (in a sandwich) and loved it, but have tried a few recipes at home and just don't like it. I wonder if I need a different brand or flavor?
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Great thread!!!! Thanks!!!!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wait....one more source of protein that must be added:

Quinoa!!!!!
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great list!
  • AvocadoPit
    AvocadoPit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! Fantastic thread with some fantastic tips! Thanks everyone!
  • bluesunshine999
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the ideas!!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    BUMP

not vegan, but curious to learn about people's favorite vegan protein powders.
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Lentils!! I made this today and I'm in LOVE!
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/recipes/spicy-lentil-cabbage.php
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    @Tina: That sounds delicious! I love lentils, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

@Waffler: I get my vegan protein powder from TrueProtein.com. Mine is a blend of 75% brown rice protein and 25% gemma pea protein. I get the cake batter flavor and put it in everything from smoothies to oatmeal. 118 calories and 24.5g protein per scoop!
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Loooooove this!