Which Type of Music?

Options
I've been a member of gyms before and the instructors have all said that music with a repetitive beat is the best for exercising (I suspect because they all love dance music). I personally don't like any dance music, and further I like to be able to swim off to my own world when I'm exercising, to forget I'm running, or cycling, or whatever, and I find that very hard with dance music since I tend to end up counting the beats.

What does everyone else find works well with their workouts? Currently I have a tendency to listen to really long songs, like stoner-rock, or post-rock and the like.

Replies

• creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have found that Heavy metal gives me the motivation to MOVE it gets me going, especially Korn, their beats are fast and don't let me slow down, I like to use it when I am walking, because by the end of some of the songs I am nearly running and don't even realize it.
  • fudgeinator
    fudgeinator Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Metal does it for me. Fast, pounding, lots of drums, lots of crunchy guitars. Pantera, Lamb of God, etc are my go-to groups. It's not for everyone though. If you want something a little more digestible but still gets the spirit pumping try Guns N Roses, God Smack, Soundgarden, and the like. One newer great rock band is Volbeat. They are from Copenhagen, but don't let that fool you...they can really lay it down...and in English.

If you want something really different try some Dubstep tunes. Example, listen to at least the first 90 seconds or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxgao2rYZw&feature=relmfu
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a big hip hop fan and can easily get lost in my music. I tend to pick things to run to that are lyrical and thought provoking but also have a good beat that isn't too chilled out.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Heavy metal music for lifting heavy metal objects is what I go by.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    For cardio I listen to dubstep, which I suppose can be dancey.
    For lifting i definitely listen to contemporary metal.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Heavy metal all the way:

Rammstein
    Combichrist
    Korn
    Distrubed
    Eisbrecher
    Megaherz

A driving beat just keeps me going
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Reggaeton, Hip Hop and Bachata. That's what I listen to whenever I work out
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Depends on what mood I'm in. I agree with a lot of the work out couches...something with a repetitive beat helps sometimes. Other times I like the prog rock aspect.

Try Tool's Parabola. :3
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say the type matters. Its just a tool to keep you focused. Whatever kind you find the most appealing
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options

What does everyone else find works well with their workouts? Currently I have a tendency to listen to really long songs, like stoner-rock, or post-rock and the like.

That's what I listen to in general. I find the best music is just music you like, it distracts you, sometimes the longer the better, I sometimes find myself working out for longer as I stay until the song is finished.
  • missEMILIEb
    missEMILIEb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    do you like to read? my problem is that with music my mind wanders and i get bored so i want to stop. i actually started bringing books that are on my bucket to-read list or a hobby specific mag when using the cycle or stair climber machines. if the story is good it captures my attention and become totally focused on that. my body follows suit and definitely achieve the whole 'in another world' concept. climbing stairs for 30 minutes has actually become enjoyable rather than just tolerable. maybe audio books if cycling/running outside?
  • radscorpion
    Options
    METAL! Fear Factory, Scar Symmetry, Gojira, Kataklysm, Meshuggah etc etc. It all gives me a purpose to move :P. That said there's nothing better than running to some chill grunge on a hot sunny day.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Combicrist is awesome, especially 'Get your body beat'
    however hands down best: KMFDM
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Metal. Industrial. And everything in between - Maiden, Megadeth, Local H, Nirvana, Skinny Puppy, Demon Hunter, Norma Jean, The Haunted... Many, many more.

I used to do boxing workouts exclusively to the music of MDM. They're pretty great, and I know they're fans of KMFDM.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTyHVSjQqY
  • VAgal123
    VAgal123 Posts: 35
    Options
    I find Aerosmith,GNR and Metallica keep me pumped thru the first, ile...then it's dance
  • IslandgirlCin
    Options
    My ipod has a mix of weird Rap Music when I workout, or fast Country music. A mix of Lil Wayne , Nikki Minaj, Afro Man, Sara Evans Suds in the Bucket, Lee Ann Rhimes...Got Nothin Better to Do, anything fast.......a couple of slow ones for cooling down. I even like Justin Beiber !
  • afj89
    afj89 Posts: 17
    Options
    Any songs with fast BPM generally get you moving faster. I got a copy of 'Now That's What I Call Running' CD and all the songs are fast and upbeat and really help :)
  • novangel2
    novangel2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Journey and Van Halen 1984.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

That's what I listen to in general. I find the best music is just music you like, it distracts you, sometimes the longer the better, I sometimes find myself working out for longer as I stay until the song is finished.

I am not like this at all. The majority of the music on my Gym playlist is crap I *only* listen to at the gym. It is mostly about a beat for me, and I get obsessed with certain songs (currently Kanye's "Power", "How You Like Me Now" by the Heavy, and a remix of the truly awful "Rack City"), put them on repeat all the time, and then get sick of them when they no longer make me want to move. It's not what I'd listen to driving around, though.