New here (sort of) with a question

So I am currently 154p, 5'5" and want to be 140p or less if I get lucky. MFP says I have 1,510 calorie allowance and I work out on average 6 days a week burning approx 1000 calories a week. I never go over on calories/carbs/fat and usually wind up with a little extra calories that I don't use.

So am I doing this right?? Should I try to stay closer to my calorie allowance or go under a little? I just want to make sure I am on the right track since I am new to food stalking. Thanks. :)

Replies

• novangel2
    novangel2 Posts: 8 Member
    Actually I take that back I have gone over on fat a few times but it's minimal, like 10 points or less. Big deal?

ETA: When I did go over on fat it was from eating Salmon (baked with lemon pepper only) which is from what I understand "good fat" so I think that's okay.
  • i am the same as you. when mfp gives you the calorie goal, are you suppose to stay under the goal or go over to lose weight??
  • novangel2
    i am the same as you. when mfp gives you the calorie goal, are you suppose to stay under the goal or go over to lose weight??

I'm lost too. I usually wind up in the 1,300-1,400 range at the end of the day. I'm assuming a little under or close to goal is best...I don't think we should go over. It's a nice thought though. :p
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    Go as close to your goal as possible - your goal calories is the amount calculated to maintain the deficit required to lose weight at a safe and consistent rate. :smile:
  • the calories they give you before you workout are the amount that your body needs if you only sit and veg... when you workout you need more calories so your body can function properly. if you don't eat back all your cals don't worry you won't faint, but try to eat healthy and make sure you get in all the good fats and proteins. your body needs the good fats from olive oil, nuts, avocados... just not alot of it. they have lots of calories!

if you never eat you calories back, you may experience some 'non-weight-loss' weeks or months... your body needs energy to burn the fat off.

oh, one more thing. make sure you do both cardio and weights. cardio burns calories, but you need the muscle to burn them... :)

you can friend me if you want... :)
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    The calorie goal that MFP gives you is based on two things... 1) the amount of weight you said you wanted to lose each week and 2) your current activity level that you entered.

It takes that information and determines how many calories your body would burn if you did nothing in addition to your normal activity level. Then if you said you wanted to lose a pound a week (as an example), MFP automatically reduced your daily calorie intake by 500 calories...because you'd have to consume 3500 fewer calories to lose one pound in a week).

So even if you don't work out any more than you did before, if you go by the calorie intake that MFP assigned you, you should lose a pound a week (or whatever amount you entered).

If you do exercise in addition to eating fewer calories, you'll be burning calories faster. BUT know that if you workout more, your body will need additional fuel. So, you should probably eat back the calories you burn off. You'll still be losing your weight in a week and your body will be plenty fueled for your activity level.

Make sense?
  • novangel2
    Thanks everyone!