Sloppy Women at the Gym

Options

Replies

• Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I see no point in dressing up for the gym. I'm one of those people comfortable only in baggy tshirts and jeans, so lulu's and spandex whatevers are out for me. I'll stick with my old tshirts and leggings/basketball shorts. I go to the gym to work out, not to look cute or anything, but hey, whatever floats your boat. If getting pretty for the gym motivates you, then so be it.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    thats why i like my gym at work...............see profile pic, dont even have to wear a shirt.........its truly "judgement free".............mainly because i am the only one there at 1am..............
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If I look at a person like that at the gym its because I want to be like them. I don't scowl at anyone. If anyone catches me gaze, I just smile at them.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I like to look cute in general but I wanna leave the gym looking like absolute ****. I wanna work so hard that my hair fell out of the elastic, my shirt is drenched in sweat, my face is greasy and any make up i wore is running down my cheeks. The gym is not a fashion show - its about health and getting in shape. I may look sloppy at the gym but when I work hard and have a fit, healthy body, I promise you I won't be looking sloppy outside of the gym.
  • ConcordPhil
    ConcordPhil Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I also would never spend money on "workout clothes". I just wear old clothes that I wouldn't wear on a normal day anymore, so they get put to use and don't just get thrown out. I'd rather spend my money on other more important things, like the clothes I wear OUTSIDE of the gym.

Honestly, I spend good money on work out clothes for many reasons other than the aesthetic. First, working out (particularly running) is my hobby, so why wouldn't I spend money on my hobby? Additionally, the quality. I can tell you 5 minutes into a run if I'm wearing cheaper old clothes that aren't specifically for running, and I'm chafing and uncomfortable. There is a lot to be said about really good quality athletic clothing that wicks moisture away from the body and allows for cooling of the body while working out intensely. I only run in good quality running clothing. I will hit the weights in an old t-shirt and some workout shorts (I have like a ridiculous amount of brightly colored Nike running shorts), but when it comes to my running, I spend the money because it's worth it to me.

That's totally fine that YOU don't want to spend money on athletic clothing, but that clothing is made specifically for exercise, and that's why I wear it as opposed to whatever old stuff I've got laying around. It's nobody's business but mine how I choose to spend my money, and it doesn't matter to me how you choose to spend yours.

^ This for me also. I totally love my moisture wicking clothes!

^I'm with these guys... my wicking workout wearables are wicked good :)
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was on the stairmaster this evening and this girl came to the one beside me for a whole 5 minutes and then got off thank God. Her perfume was so overwhelming I felt sick!! Also if you have fresh heavy mascara and makeup on that's just stupid b/c it will be dripping down your face. If you are actually there to work out.

However I love cute workout clothes and hair pulled back. I just think the perfume and makeup is just not for working out!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm not judging, just watching. It seems at the gym quite a few people (men and women) are there more to be seen than to work out. If that's their thing great.

Others, like me, think of it more like a chore (yardwork) so throw on some old clothes that we don't mind getting ruined.
  • Muslimah1218
    Muslimah1218 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like to work out in my cute "hello kitty" sweatpants. I cant feel my ponytail wagging while I am running because I have to have my head covered.. lol But I still style
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Maybe if they made cute workout clothes that were my size I would be inclined to wear them! lol
    Seriously...I prefer to wear clothes that I don't mind getting sweaty and gross. Just because I wash them doesn't mean much to me. I think it's whatever you are comfortable wearing. Some people (like me) don't like to draw attention to themselves so they deliberately wear things that help them fade into the background. Sounds like you don't have that problem and I applaud you for it. Some people just don't have that drive to look good where they exercise or don't have the confidence. I am sadly lacking both.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I like to look semi decent when I'm there too- I feel better about myself if I know I'm looking my best. That being said I bet most people have their issues with the girls that come in with thick lip gloss, clearly curled hair, and touch the weights like they're molten lava. There are a few girls at my gym that do this and I think- "Why did you even bother coming?!?! You aren't DOING anything."

hahahahaha my thoughts exactly. I LOVE to look cute working out. I've spent probably $600 in the past few months racking up on cool new work out gear including a Polar HRM because I like it. I know I look hot in my spandex shorts and sports bra. I have a problem with the ones that have full make up on and their hair is down and pretty. My thought...why are you even here? These guys aren't going to think you're cute like that. Honestly, I've had past exs tell me I'm super sexy all sweaty. If they ONLY knew how stupid they look!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    OMG.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I wear leggings and a small band shirt to the gym. I don't really care what people think of that.
  • Squeezie88
    Squeezie88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just wear my sloppy work out stuff to the gym...which looks kind of hilarious when I go straight after work and my face and hair is pretty :)
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, I probably qualify as a "sloppy woman." What's the point in doing my hair and putting on makeup? I'm there to SWEAT and the hair's going to be wet and the makeup's going to be ruined in five minutes anyway. Sometimes I wear "cute" gym clothes, sometimes it's sweats and an old t-shirt. No matter what I'm wearing, though, I couldn't care less what the person next to me is wearing. The gym is one place/time where it's not only acceptable but NECESSARY to be as self-absorbed as possible!
  • confuzzledwife
    Options
    I think we have pretty much all learned today in all the women-bashing-women posts that no matter what you do, who you are, or how you look: women will find any excuse to talk *kitten* about other women.

It's just the way it is.

Btw, I love my super cute Lulu and Nike outfits, and I feel naked without mascara :) And I work my *kitten* off while wearing that super cute gear!

My thoughts EXACTLY! ^^
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Everytime I go to the gym, I usually go in a purple camo singlet and black 3/4 skins (Looks pretty good, so I get told by the gym instructors!) The people that I get the BAD looks from are the ones that are don't put any effort into training at all and they just stare at me like I'm venom. There is one that ALWAYS stares at me. Now THAT gets annoying!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If I have time, I throw on a cute LuLu Lemon outfit with matching shoes and all (no makeup at the gym for me since I have sensitive skin) but if I'm in a hurry, I'll go to the gym in my PJ's! I really don't care. I get some weird looks when I have on a cute low cut sports bra with matching yoga pants and matching shoes & headband and I get some weird looks when I have on PJ bottoms and a ratty marathon t-shirt but I could care less. I go to the gym, workout, and go home. I don't talk to anyone!

I give you credit for wanting to look nice at the gym all the time!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of you ladies, but I like to look and feel good when I am at the gym. I LOVE how I feel in a new nike/LuLu outfit. I love hot pink running tops and cute yoga pants. I love feeling my high ponytail swoosh around when I am on a long run. I like having my cheeks flushed and my lashes dark.

Why is it that this is hated & looked down upon by other woman? Woman who care about thier appearance at the gym are apparently silly in alot of other womans minds?

Well, I for one am not a fan of the "roll out of bed look" at 5:00 pm - so, I guess we will all have to agree to disagree.

But honestly, what really is your beef?

A woman doing her hair and makeup to go get sweaty and gross and then (hopefully) take a shower after doesn't bother me so much as perplex me. I mean, I don't go looking a mess. I pull my hair up and wear matching clothes that are comfortable and not "sloppy." But I'm not going to get all pretty to go get all sweaty. I get wearing comfortable and cute clothes. I don't get putting on makeup that is (at least on me) just going to melt off, anyway.

Do what you want. I just find it odd. I also don't see it that much at my gym.
  • thelms77
    thelms77 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel like if you look good, you feel good and if you feel good your workout will be outstanding! Don't let the haters bother you! I don't. I'm 51 years young and I like looking good whether I'm at the gym, outside or in my home working out! If they are hating you know you are looking fierce! :-)
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    to be fair they are probably jealous that you get to go out looking good in your outfit. I don't have the money to go to the gym and buy new clothes but I know if I saw someone with brand new clothes looking good I would be jealous but also happy for them as it obviously works to get you motivated! Good luck in the gym.

Sarah x