No soda!!

Options

Replies

• turbomachine1
    turbomachine1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    does drinking diet soda make one gain weight??? I know they are full of chemicals but i never thought they can affect weight....
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    does drinking diet soda make one gain weight??? I know they are full of chemicals but i never thought they can affect weight....

i am intersted in this too - is it just diet soda (i.e fizzy?) or is it all diet drinks - i.e. diet snapple etc also??
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    WAHOOOOOOO THAT'S AMAZING!!!!!! DANG SODA is causing everyone horrendous problems!!! Keep it up! :)

http://youtu.be/86nhXtV4wEU
    http://gigieatscelebrities.com
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Did you get "withdrawal headaches"? I am trying to slowly go off them.. only 2 a day right now. Down from having one in my hand constantly...all day, every day!!!

When I stopped drinking soda I got them occasionally...but I upped my coffee to two cups a day and they went away. Now I'm back down to my one cup a day and no headaches. I can't give up my coffee...
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    :D That is great!! I haven't touched a soda in a week and a half. That's a huge accomplishment for me as a coke (real thing, mind you) is the same to me as a cigarette is to a smoker. There's studies out there that the sweetener in diet soda actually has a negative effect on weight loss.

I just read this somewhere too. They said that the body still processes diet sodas like a regular sugar. Bad stuff.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I gave up all soda for my Millenium New Years resolution. My last Diet Pepsi was New Years Eve 1999. I haven't had ANY since. The first 6 months was really rough. I switched to unsweetened tea and water. I don't miss soda at all.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I was never a diet soda fan (except for Fresca), but I was up to 3 regular cokes a week for a while. I cut out all bubbly drinks (except for sparkling water) about 3 months ago. I've only missed it once and that's when I was feeling sick. I used to love a good cold Coke when my stomach hurt. Club soda has basically the same effect for me, so I've adjusted. I squeeze lemon and/or lime juice in there and it's yummy! Congratulations on your accomplishment and good luck moving forward!
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Way to go! I've recently decided to go soda-free and my husband decided this week he's going to stop drinking it too. Its a great thing! Keep it up :)
  • LittleMissRiiff
    Options
    I haven't had soda in over a year. Lemme tell ya, once you kick the stuff, you'll never miss it. :)
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options

i am intersted in this too - is it just diet soda (i.e fizzy?) or is it all diet drinks - i.e. diet snapple etc also??

Everything that I have read that sheds negative light on diet soda is that people tend to overeat and figure since they are drinking diet soda, they are cutting calories and don't even realize that they are massively making up the calories in their eating. Not to mention the caffeine, the sodium and slew of other bad things.

I gave up soda for Lent this year and I never really thought I was making much of a sacrifice. Little did I realize that I was much more addicted than I thought! My first week was really difficult. Since starting back on MFP last week and really focusing on my water intake, I'm amazed as how much better my body responds. I do not drink diet soda, nor have I really ever because I never found one that tasted good... I could always taste the sweeteners. Not to mention, I suffer from chronic headaches and sweeteners ALWAYS trigger headaches for me. I would rather use the calories and drink a real soda if I'm really craving it. Same goes for me in using sugar. I'd just rather use the real thing over an artificial sweetener. But even Splenda, Truvia and Stevia are too much for me.
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It is amazing the amount of sodium in diet soda! The last time I had one, the scale had me up a pound the next day. Going back to water evened things out, but really taught me a lesson.

I'm sorry, but are you kidding?

8oz of Coke Zero, for example have 30mg of sodium, or 1% of recommended daily intake.

A cup of skim milk has 127mg.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    It's a correlation effect for many. If they drink diet soda, they may drink LESS water and water retention happens. Most people I see that switch off diet soda, or soda in general end up drinking more water and now drop more water since they are drinking the right amount.
    If you drank enough water and diet soda as another source, then weight gain shouldn't be an issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    :D That is great!! I haven't touched a soda in a week and a half. That's a huge accomplishment for me as a coke (real thing, mind you) is the same to me as a cigarette is to a smoker. There's studies out there that the sweetener in diet soda actually has a negative effect on weight loss.

I just read this somewhere too. They said that the body still processes diet sodas like a regular sugar. Bad stuff.
    The body processes ALL foods and drink the SAME way.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I commend people if they want to give up diet soda or soda altogether if they think it's what they should do. But people shouldn't demonize it if they really don't have any idea about how the body actually processes it. To say it's bad for you, it causes weight gain, it's high in sodium, etc. are false since lots of clinical studies (peer reviewed) haven't shown it to be as bad as people say.

IDEA Fitness member
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good job to anyone and everyone who has been able to quit soda. I seriously have tried and it is the hardest thing I've ever done. The longest I've gone was 30 days. To celebrate, I had a soda. *yikes!* Here I am 18 months later and I've not been able to give it up for more than 5 days consistently.

Although I will say that since starting with MFP, I have drastically reduced the amount I drink. I take my allowed calories seriously (1440/day) and with just one can being 150 calories, that is a price I'm not willing to pay every day! (I can't drink diet...so nasty).

All these success stories motivates me that maybe one day soon I'll be able to say I have also given it up! :)
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I am INSPIRED by al you, and will stop having my diet pepsi tomorrow!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I gained all of my weight because i was drinking an average of 750 calories of Dr. Pepper a day (super-scary to think back about)

At first I cut it entirely out of my diet, and it went well (as others have stated, i have also lost weight previously JUST by cutting out soda). Now I'm starting to allow myself to drink it again, but I don't think I'll ever drink more than one, MAYBE two in a day again.

great job on your accomplishment!
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse regular pop with diet...

Also remember that fruit juice and milk are also loaded with calories and should also be consumed in moderation.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of myself for now having ONLY one or two per day LOL. I cut back in the beginning (from guzzling it all day long and never drinking water at all) b/c it became apparent that I was literally dependent on it - if I ever didn't get 'enough' I would get awful headaches. So I cut it cold turkey for 1 month to break my dependence. Now I allow myself to have a couple each day b/c I truly enjoy it (diet mt dew so very very few calories) but if I ever run out its not the end of the world like it was before, I know I don't 'need' it and I don't get those awful withdrawal symptoms if I don't have it. I just really like it. :-). And since it is diet and only has 5-10 calories per bottle, it has not affected my weightloss in any way. :-)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    It is amazing the amount of sodium in diet soda! The last time I had one, the scale had me up a pound the next day. Going back to water evened things out, but really taught me a lesson.

I'm sorry, but are you kidding?

8oz of Coke Zero, for example have 30mg of sodium, or 1% of recommended daily intake.

A cup of skim milk has 127mg.

exactly. I never understand the whole SODIUM!!!!! 'problem' with diet soda. mostly because there's hardly any there. and, as a result, there is no problem.

here's a sample list for you, based on 8 oz. even regular soda -- which will hinder weight loss, simply because there are calories there -- doesn't have much at all.

Coca Cola classic and caffeine free - 35 mg
    Diet Coke - 35
    Coca Cola, Vanilla Coke - 35
    Dr Pepper - 35
    Fresca - 35
    Ginger Ale - 35
    Green River - 15
    Mountain Dew - 50
    Mountain Dew diet - 38
    Mountain Dew Code Red - 110
    Pepsi - 35
    Diet Pepsi - 35
    Pepsi, caffeine free - 25
    7-Up - 50
    Sierra Mist - 35
    Sierra Mist, diet - 35
    Slice - 35
    Sprite - 45
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!