Why it is so hard to keep weight off

Options
I heard an interesting story on NPR's Morning Edition this morning. You can find it here: http://n.pr/tanXOM
It suggests that those of us who have had to lose fat may always be required to eat a few less calories than our never-been-overweight counterparts.
While it may sound a little discouraging, it does remind me that all the goofy diets in the world won't help, if you cannot maintain it for a lifetime.
Also, the suggestions for exercise are encouraging to me as well.
Anybody else?

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about it being harder to keep off weight if you have been overweight in the past but it is hard to keep off weight for everyone! Props to everyone on here who is sticking to their goals!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Thinking we need to incorporate new habits and keep doing them, replacing a life long way of doing it (for me at least) wrong.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There was a similar article floating around here last week that had a bit more info about the study. I like how they whittled it down in this article though and find it encouraging that this is the approach that I've been taking and hope it will be successful long term. I figured out myself that diets don't work - I, like just about everyone else, tried just about every pill and diet plan out there. They might work for a while but the more restrictive they are (low carb, low fat, low sugar), the higher the likelihood that these changes aren't going to stick for life. So this time I'm letting myself have treats and weekly take-out and am exercising regularly and it's working really well and doesn't feel like a struggle for once!

I'm also glad the article mentions exercsie but I must add that I wish people would stop focusing on it as just a way to lose weight because it's also extremely good for your physical and mental health.
  • superbman
    Options
    That's because your fat cells don't die even after you lose the excess fat. Instead they just shrink. So if you get back to your old habits after losing weight, the fat just starts accumulating into the fat cells easily.

However, if you maintain your healthy eating habits and an active lifestyle, then those fat cells can eventually die out, make it a bit harder for you to put on weight :)
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've read several scientific reviews which suggest the same. Only thing is, they didn't seem to quantify how much overweight you have to be to get a significant effect - but the effect appeared to be 100-200 calories less, or equivalent to about 1 lb/month gain if you eat too much.

The scientific reviews don't end there though. To be honest, the outlook looks quite bleak for weight losers, although I have a feeling those on MFP will have a slightly higher chance of keeping it off than other people (e.g. fad dieters). 90% of people fail to keep the weight off, and some reviews suggested that it gets harder and harder to keep it off, the longer you've kept it off. Out of the 10% that do, 90% carry out regular exercise above and beyond what would be expected for a never-been-overweight individual. One review suggested the amount of exercise required would be unsustainable in the long run, though I suspect that many people on MFP have found exercise fun and fulfilling enough to get round this...

The bottom line is: the body defends its highest weight and tried to return to that weight in the long run, even after weight loss. It takes conscious effort to avoid this.

There are loads of reviews you can read (some of them will be free) if you type "weight loss maintenance" into Google Scholar.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great question.

I happen to have struggled with food addiction myself and continue a day at time to stay accountable by not incorporating binge foods into my food plan.

But I also have to say that there are genetics and physiological dispositions for certain people who are hyper senstive to high carb foods (sugars and flour) than other folks.

What I mean by this is, have you ever met someone who can eat crazy bad and unhealthy foods (burgers, ice cream, chips, candy, etc.) and they don't show it? Their metabolism is in high gear and they don't gain an ounce of fat. Not that they are healthy but physically they look to have a healthy weight.

Then you see a whole family who struggles with weight gain where they eat just one of those items and their body stores the fat.

Seriously, it's not a cop out to say that some have metabolism issues and some don't. Some have addiction issues and some don't and some have more of a challenge to reduce the fat and some don't.

It is just a fact and really does not have to do with willpower or the fact that one is not focused on trying to reach their goals and is lazy etc.

I am one of those people who has that challenge. Trust it is a real issue.

In actuality, I feel that those folks who are challenged with a metabolic syndrom (carb sensitive and/or food addict) - tend to be stronger willed than those who don't have to work so hard.

If I told you how much effort and time I have to put into my food plan, prepare and plan my whole schedule so I don't lose focus or momentum not to mention how crazy clean I have to eat to just see a minor change, it would blow your mind.

But, I just do it and don't ponder about it. I can't afford to and why should I get into the (look how hard I have to work) attitude. Yet it is hard fact that I personally have to.

...and yes, it is also the truth that you do have to move your butt and eat clean healthy food to make a change but again, for someone in my disposition, you really have to use patience and not obsess that it takes me longer to get to my result than those that don't have the same physiological issues. Pile the change of life and hormone changes on that and - what a party LOL.

The bottom line that I have had to come to terms with is that I am not special (meaning, unique to anyone else trying to reach their goals) and that I am not a victim and that I have solutions. It still does not change the fact that I have to work hard at what I am trying to achieve but that has only made me stronger and grateful that I can pass on the same tools I use to get off the pity pot and help someone else.

So yes, I have a hard time to get to my goals than others but the question is, what am I going to do about it?

You have to make it happen and be happy making it work.

Hugs,
  • HarveySmith123
    Options
    1. Try adding foods to your diet instead of subtracting them.
    2. Working out
    3. Go Walking
    4. Lighten the Foods You Already Love
    5. Because Hydration Helps -- Really!
    6. Share and Share Alike
    7. Eating less without feeling denied
    8. Eat at the same times every day (including snacks).
    9. Make only one meal.
    10. Remember that little things add up.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Some of you might be interested in this study: http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/2/239.long

This is a synopsis of the current data from the National Weight Control Registry which is a long-term study of individuals who have lost at least 13.6kg and have kept it off for at least five years. Of course, many in the registry have lost far more than that with an average of participants going from a BMI of 35 (obese) to 25 (average). The majority of the participants became obese in childhood with only 28.3% reporting becoming overweight during adulthood.

The results of this study dispute the article as 30.3% report weight maintenance as being easy and 37.3% report it as being moderately easy, with the rest (32.4%) rating maintenance as being hard.

It's a fascinating study which may give us all some good tips to help us both lose and maintain our weight.

While I've recently stepped up my exercise and have become more diligent about tracking/decreasing my caloric intake, I weighed 237# about 13 years ago and lost down to 195# over a period of several years and have maintained that weight loss since about 2002, which means I qualify to participate in this study. Since starting to use MFP diligently in mid-August and upping my exercise, I have lost an additional 18#. I just got my initial packet from the study so I'm excited to see what kind of questionnaires I'll be getting and learn more about how the study works.
  • walkingsun89
    walkingsun89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is encouraging :)