Paleo: good or bad?

Options
Kooraloo
Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
I've been hearing all this stuff about the Paleo Diet and I was wondering if you guys had an opinion on it. I'm somewhat interested in it but I'm worried that I don't have the drive to follow through with it.
Have any of you tried it/ known someone who tried it?
What are your opinions on it?
Did you feel any different compared to when you were eating normally?

Thank you!

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    A lady at work had a heart attack a few years back and has trouble losing any weight since thing (due to meds I guess?)
    She's been doing it for a month, no noticeable difference.

Paleo is just eating meat, veggies, fruit, and nuts right? Don't see anything wrong with that. Unless you like...food =P
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    There's a whole list of 'banned' foods. Avoid sweets, grains, legumes, dairy, fatty meats but about everything else is fair game. I loooove food and my family is composed of AMAZING cooks, so it'd suck to give it up, but I read an article that talked about how people felt more energetic and happier while on the Paleo...
    I feel like I owe it to my body to try to reverse all the crap I've fed it these past 17 years, so I'm looking for ways to clean up and be healthier.

Thank you for your comment!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think the concept of eating whole and minimally processed foods, (while not a unique concept to paleo) is a very good one.
    I think the food elimination is silly.
    I think the premise of modeling our intake after our ancestors is silly.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Nothing is ever good or bad, but thinking makes it so. Except HCG, that's bad. -Hamlet
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I think the concept of eating whole and minimally processed foods, (while not a unique concept to paleo) is a very good one.
    I think the food elimination is silly.
    I think the premise of modeling our intake after our ancestors is silly.

Pretty much what he said. Live a little, don't eliminate anything (unless you eat straight lard) and enjoy fueling your body. Treat it with respect and don't feed it crap, but don't eliminate all the good stuff - like cheese.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No foods are completely "banned." You eat what makes sense for your body. Certain people find they have sensitivities to different foods, so they avoid them. It's a great way to help you choose more real, natural, unprocessed foods. For me? Dairy bothers me. So I don't eat it. I don't eat grains daily, either. But I certainly treat myself once in a while and have a piece of bread at a restaurant, and I get ice cream about once a week because I love it. But please don't think of it as "a diet with a list of banned foods." It's so much more than that. I like to think of it as more of a healthy lifestyle of eating. :)
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for almost 3 months now. I've lost just over 45 lbs and I feel great. I have a lot more energy than I did with any other way of eating that I've done previously.

It is important to note that paleo or primal is not specifically for weight loss. Its about reducing insulin resistance and reducing modern sources of disease causing compounds, such as trans fats and other kinds of processed foods to have much better long term health.

Any weight loss is just a happy side effect.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My opinion is ... don't label your diet.

I've eliminated grains and legumes and feel better for it but that's just me and my body. I can live without those foods just fine. Those around me are probably thankful. :blushing:
    I've also eliminated most processed foods and that has eliminated a lot of binges.
    But ...
    I eat butter, Greek yogurt, cheese, some raw sugar in my tea, 70% chocolate.

You can definitely reverse things by eliminating the crap out of your diet.
    You don't need a book or a label to do this.
    Focus on whole foods mostly and have the occasional treat if that floats your boat.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    To reduce weight -- Eat fewer calories while increasing activity level. Any diet or plan that cuts out. or heavily reduces one or more nutrients is usually not a good idea. The best plan is to eat a well balanced diet (of course limiting processed foods such as snacks to a reasonable daily intake). That will provide the most healthy results. Of course one corrolary to this is to increase proteins if you are wanting to increase muscle mass in the process...
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The only way to see what you think is to try it. Its not unhealthy, so...no harm, no foul. Because if you don't like it, or feel better on it, you'll stop.

If you try it and can't stand it...you'll find something else you like. Those that stick with it---yeah, we may believe in the health benefits---but we wouldn't be doing it if we didn't feel better and enjoy our food. I personally think my diet is delicious, varied, and positively yummy.

And, its not a "diet" but a set of guidelines. Which means...you make allowances for the things you really like. Just like everyone else does. Some people are "strict," some are more liberal. Just like every other way of eating.

Its not that deep. Read up on it. Try it if you like. Don't if it seems too weird. We'll all die sometime. Fat, skinny, eating bread, eating steak...its all about making choices that make you feel better while you're alive.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It isn't a bad diet because it gets you away from processed foods. The theory is wrong. Our ancestors ATE whole grains and legumes. Every chance they got. And, there is nothing wrong with a diet heavy in legumes and whole grains. A diet for fadsters.
  • carol989
    carol989 Posts: 19
    Options
    I think the paleo diet is good in a taste way, but a big downside for me is it seems fairly expensive to do constantly :(
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think the paleo diet is good in a taste way, but a big downside for me is it seems fairly expensive to do constantly :(

We've been spending about $100 per week on food for 2 of us. (in the Chicago area). I think that's pretty cheap... just depends on how you do it! I buy all produce that's on sale, and as much meat that's on sale as possible. It's really not so bad once you figure it out. Yes, when i first started I was buying about double!! Eeek! But when you just look around and think about what you're buying, you can do it!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Keep doing a lot of research and experiment. If it doesn't work for you than you can always try something else. The important thing is that you are learning to be mindful about what you eat.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    A lady at work had a heart attack a few years back and has trouble losing any weight since thing (due to meds I guess?)

Paleo is just eating meat, veggies, fruit, and nuts right? Don't see anything wrong with that. Unless you like...food =P

Your last comment makes no sense. Meat, fat, vegetables, fruit and nuts are REAL food................That processed stuff you all call food is NOT REAL food, it is a FOOD LIKE substance.

I prefer real food.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I like that it keeps you away from processed foods. that should be important to ANYONE with interest in nutrition.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

I guess the cabbage soup diet is in order, it seems to work. :devil:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how eating good, whole, lean foods could be bad for anyone.

Still, I don't want to do it. I need my Cadbury Eggs.
  • christyreichenberger
    Options
    Paleo is an EXCELLENT way to get your body back on track! As an avid Paleo dieter, I have learned a few tricks & tips on how to get through it.

1. The first 2-3 weeks are the hardest. Once you're past those, it's an easy ride to continue on
    2. Gluten Free Chicken Sausage (Adelle's or Al Fresco's) are a saving grace. All natural & gluten free. Easy to prepare and oh so tasty!
    3. Really learn to love broccoli! It's filling and full of the vitamins that help you get through it.
    4. Commit to at least 90% Paleo. If you can do 100%, you're golden. I personally commit to 90% Paleo & the remaining 10% Gluten Free.
    5. Eat whenever you want, as much as you want. As long as it's Paleo. The rule is "If you can kill it or pick it, you can eat it".
    6. Peanuts & Soy beans are off limits. That's a bummer for sure. But trust me when I tell you you'll notice when you don't have them in your diet.
    7. You CAN sautee veggies without the use of oil. But if you have to use oil, try to stick to the list (avacado, coconut, even EVOO)

It's a tough way of eating to get used to at first but you'll be AMAZED at how quickly your body adapts!!!! It's almost unbelievable.
  • kcmg0730
    kcmg0730 Posts: 96
    Options
    My opinion is ... don't label your diet.

I've eliminated grains and legumes and feel better for it but that's just me and my body. I can live without those foods just fine. Those around me are probably thankful. :blushing:
    I've also eliminated most processed foods and that has eliminated a lot of binges.
    But ...
    I eat butter, Greek yogurt, cheese, some raw sugar in my tea, 70% chocolate.

You can definitely reverse things by eliminating the crap out of your diet.
    You don't need a book or a label to do this.
    Focus on whole foods mostly and have the occasional treat if that floats your boat.

This.

I've eliminated grains but kept dairy because grains seem to negatively affect me, but a bit of dairy doesn't. I am limiting my starchy vegetables and some fruit at the moment, mainly because I am trying to lose weight, so I eat lots (and LOTS) of fresh veggies, fresh meat and fish, eggs, some nuts and a bit of cheese and yogurt. I eat dark chocolate nearly every day, and have a glass of wine most evenings. I defnintely don't feel deprived, and I haven't eliminated any food groups...I'm still having carbs, protein and fat . Since I started this lifestyle, my diet is much more varied than it was before, and I have become really creative in the kitchen...I can honestly say I'm not bored yet (though it has only been 2 months). My hunger has really changed...I don't get extremely full or starving hungry, and I have consistent energy all day, rather than a 'drop' in the middle of the afternoon.

The Paleo bit is merely a template and a bit of semantics (of course we aren't cavemen and can't really expect to eat exactly like they did)...I found that I liked having some strict guidance to start with, but I have adapted and I will also loosen up slightly once I'm at my goal weight. All in all, I'm finding it pretty easy and really flexible...not everyone's cup of tea, but I feel a whole lot better for the change!