When to Drink Whey Protein?

Options
kcnjason
kcnjason Posts: 35 Member
I have recently started weight training. I currently weigh 110# and looking to add on about 11 pounds of muscle.
I am a female and height is 5'5 My question is: Do I need to drink a whey protein drink? How hard does a person need to work before utilizing a protein drink? To me I think of guys and protein drinks because they lift intense.
Any recommendations?

Replies

• mercutio98uk
    Options
    Well, reading around the web it seems the same uber basic strategy applies for males and females when it comes to adding weight.

You eat 1g of protein for each pound (lb) of lean body mass. If you have trouble getting that much protein from food then supplements are a possible solution.
    If you are training to get bigger you will need to eat a calorie surplus (obviously) and it will be down to genetics (short of serious supplement usage) and how intense you are training as to how much of it becomes muscle and how much becomes fat.

If, when looking at your diet you decide the whey drink is a good idea i'd suggest throwing the powder dry in a shaker, stick it in your bag/locker at the gym and mix+drink it after finishing your workout as it's when you have best chance of a "pro muscle" hormone mix.

Do a google for "wavelength's fat loss for noobs". In his signature he covers both bulking (what you want) and fat loss.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have a whey drink after workouts to see results. Just make sure your getting enought protein, carbs, and fats throughout the day. A good solid meal after working out is fine too. I typically have whey after my workouts and then a solid meal an hour or so later but thats just what I like.
  • carol989
    carol989 Posts: 19
    Options
    I would suggest having it before you go to sleep, when your body repairs itself the most

That's what I have been doing
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter when you have it. As long as you consume enough protein daily (from whole food sources is fine too).

You will need to lift heavy & eat at a surplus to gain muscle. I'd aim for 10% above maintenance.

11lbs of muscle will take a while for a woman by the way. (ages for a guy too though!)
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Whey is best before a workout because it is a protein that absorbs/digests quickly so it will give you the carbs you need for your workout right away. But, you can drink it at any time.

Casein protein is better after a workout or later in the evenings before you go to bed because it is a very slow absorbing/digesting protein. While it is highly recommended for the evenings and before bed, you can also take it anytime.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Whey is best before a workout because it is a protein that absorbs/digests quickly so it will give you the carbs you need for your workout right away. But, you can drink it at any time.

Casein protein is better after a workout or later in the evenings before you go to bed because it is a very slow absorbing/digesting protein. While it is highly recommended for the evenings and before bed, you can also take it anytime.

broscience-alan-aragon-e1276617690872.jpg
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

Lol. This^^
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have a whey drink after workouts to see results. Just make sure your getting enought protein, carbs, and fats throughout the day. A good solid meal after working out is fine too. I typically have whey after my workouts and then a solid meal an hour or so later but thats just what I like.

However post weights is a good time when the muscle is depleted of glycogen and thus a protein shake with carbs (such as malto) will help begin repair and also a quick boost of calories unlike other areas of the day and is unlikely to be laid down as fat.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Lol. This^^

Which part are you claiming is bro-science?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

However post weights is a good time when the muscle is depleted of glycogen and thus a protein shake with carbs (such as malto) will help begin repair and also a quick boost of calories unlike other areas of the day and is unlikely to be laid down as fat.

"Laid down as fat"? what?

so if I do a whey shake after working out its ok but if I do a whey shake for breakfast its gonna be "laid down as fat"?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

"Laid down as fat"? what?

so if I do a whey shake after working out its ok but if I do a whey shake for breakfast its gonna be "laid down as fat"?

Ok, if you spike your insulin levels (Esp caused by simple carbs) when muscle is not depleted there is a greater chance of the excess calories being laid down as fat. Make sense?

As for your final comment, never commented on morning shakes.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4 and currently doing a bit of "bulking up" / toning.
    I use a protein drink mainly because I don't feel like eating before going to the gym, but I don't feel 100% training on an empty stomach.

Whether the protein has helped me drop measurements is debateable, but I'm using it more as a food supplement on workout days or if I need "something" at night.

Whey + women = perfectly fine :smile:
  • salxtai
    Options

Ok, if you spike your insulin levels (Esp caused by simple carbs) when muscle is not depleted there is a greater chance of the excess calories being laid down as fat. Make sense?

Really? On what basis?

this isn't an attack - to me its as simple as energy in < energy out, rather than whether insulin spiking will make me regain cals as "fat" if its still in a deficit?
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    pretty sure that whey protein gave me kidney stones.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Really? On what basis?

this isn't an attack - to me its as simple as energy in < energy out, rather than whether insulin spiking will make me regain cals as "fat" if its still in a deficit?

If you think its that simple, go ahead :bigsmile:

Levels of high insulin will stop lipolysis, it literally tells the body to stop using fat as energy.

Insulin is a hormone that lowers blood sugar and it also tells the body to store fat. It metabolises carbohydrates and tells the body to store fuel we consume.

When you take in simple carbs, you risk the chance of increasing insulin being released and thus fat storage.

We get away with it post training because the muscle is depleted and so readily absorbed into the muscle as glycogen.
  • salxtai
    Options

Really? On what basis?

If you think its that simple, go ahead :bigsmile:

Levels of high insulin will stop lipolysis, it literally tells the body to stop using fat as energy.

Insulin is a hormone that lowers blood sugar and it also tells the body to store fat. It metabolises carbohydrates and tells the body to store fuel we consume.

When you take in simple carbs, you risk the chance of increasing insulin being released and thus fat storage.

We get away with it post training because the muscle is depleted and so readily absorbed into the muscle as glycogen.

But assuming you don't have insulin resistance or some other hormonal impairment, surely the body is adaptable enough to deal with any temporary insulin spike without shutting down lipolysis. Particularly since if there's no insulin resistance then the insulin spike shouldn't be lasting that long to cause something as metabolically large as significant fat deposition.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I started drinking them a few weeks ago instead of the soy based ones I had been drinking. I was at Costco getting a script refilled and was pondering which one to get, the whey one or the soy based. The pharmacist told me that the whey one was best to get to help my muscles recover faster so I got it. I drink it directly after a work out, keeps me full for hours.

I am not looking to add weight, merely to add protein and calories to my diet.

Your question is when I drink it, there is my answer, as well as the answer on the side of the bag.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    But assuming you don't have insulin resistance or some other hormonal impairment, surely the body is adaptable enough to deal with any temporary insulin spike without shutting down lipolysis. Particularly since if there's no insulin resistance then the insulin spike shouldn't be lasting that long to cause something as metabolically large as significant fat deposition.

You'd have thought but no.

Try looking at the various stickies at http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114

It'll explain a lot of interactions of the various hormones and fat loss :smile:

I'm not saying this thro just reading a book or website. I coach people into competition shape.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I always drink mine within 30 minutes of completion of a workout and never soy, soy is bad news
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you must supplement your protein intake, I would recommend spirulina powder, not whey. Spirulina is a complete protein and is a plant. It is much healthier and more nutrient-dense than whey.