Does the hatred of cardio ever go away?

Options

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try doing your cardio outside. I love running....but I HATE a treadmill. Also, instead of viewing your cardio as a necessary evil, view it as a way to supplement what you love--strength training.
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I used to really dislike any form of cardio exercise, until I started doing Tae Bo. I've been doing it for about 4 months now and I still love it. I know I should probably mix things up a bit, but I still get an intense workout from Tae Bo, so I don't see much of a need right now. It's something I enjoy doing and it's working for me, so I am going to stick with it.

I really don't like strength training- I find it boring, but I do it as I know my body needs it.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Nope, still hate cardio but I love weight lifting so I am just going with that. I walk and ride bikes but usually just to get places
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I used to really dislike any form of cardio exercise, until I started doing Tae Bo. I've been doing it for about 4 months now and I still love it. I know I should probably mix things up a bit, but I still get an intense workout from Tae Bo, so I don't see much of a need right now. It's something I enjoy doing and it's working for me, so I am going to stick with it.

I really don't like strength training- I find it boring, but I do it as I know my body needs it.

Tae Bo is my number one workout. Billy has both cardio and strength workouts.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Try doing your cardio outside. I love running....but I HATE a treadmill. Also, instead of viewing your cardio as a necessary evil, view it as a way to supplement what you love--strength training.

Indoor cardio sucks...it sucks BIG TIME! I can't stand treadmills or "nowhere bikes," but I'll happily go run for 2 hours or ride my bike for 50 miles or more. The time flies when the scenery changes and I can inhale fresh air. If all the cardio a person does is indoors, then it's pretty clear why they'd hate cardio. I have a VERY difficult time making myself do weight and core workouts, since it generally means being trapped indoors. Yuck.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    As was said, you don't HAVE to do cardio if you're nutrition is on point.

However, I like doing some cardio stuff for overall fitness as well.

Could try these with weights for example.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/389137-cardio
    or
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390679-kb-swings-challenge

Do you play any sports?

Xbox dancing game is pretty fun :smile:
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ What zoom says. I bought an elliptical machine a couple of years ago and I've used it perhaps 4 or 5 times :sad:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It doesn't get better.

But...here's some motivation:

zombiefastfood.jpg

See, if you lift, you don't have to be fast becaue you just pickup someone and toss them to the zombies giving you all the time in the world to escape :wink:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I hate cardio but I still do it anyway just to be fit. There are a lot of good benefits to cardio exercise, even light cardio.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Hopefully we'll get slow zombies since it seems most of you don't like to do anything but lift weights :laugh:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I like it but because it lets me clear my head and destress after the work day, I can totally zone out, listen to my music and just go, no thinking.
  • MACNana2
    MACNana2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I basically hated exercise at all until I found Zumba which is the only form of exercise that I have consistently stayed with for more than a season. I have seen some awesomely toned stomachs from ladies that have only participated in Zumba.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    cardio is important for fat loss, increasing indurance, and heart health...you should be doing cardio at least 30minutes 3 times/wk IMO!! you have just gotta find something that you like to do!!! I love JM but I also hate her BFBM dvd!! Try her new kickboc fastfix DVD or TurboJam...I bet you like those!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    cardio is important for fat loss, increasing indurance, and heart health...you should be doing cardio at least 30minutes 3 times/wk IMO!! you have just gotta find something that you like to do!!! I love JM but I also hate her BFBM dvd!! Try her new kickboc fastfix DVD or TurboJam...I bet you like those!!!

Not actually required for fat loss at all. I'm currently doing ZERO cardio at all (not allowed to on this diet) and lost plenty of fat. It's a number's game remember.

Definitely good for the cardiovascular system (hence the name :P) but resistance training is also.

So if you just want to look good naked then you don't need cardio if you're nutrition is on point.

If you want to compete in some sort of endurance sport then that is totally different.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I HATE HATE HATE doing cardio in the gym! I much prefer just going out for a bike ride to explore some good hilly backstreets. Sadly, even with perfect form the biomechanics of my feet and legs forbid me from running, but going for a run and seeing what there is to see within half an hour or so of wherever you happen to be seems like it'd be pretty fun, too.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love doing (certain types of) cardio - I find it almost meditative.......sweaty but meditative. On the other hand I don't like strength training very much, no matter what I do to try and vary it.

So as mentioned by some you could try out different kinds of cardio - but chances are that you will still hate it and that it will never go away. So you have to decide if you want to try and find a way around it - many people on here have positive results with weights and controlling their diet. Alternatively you can decide to just bite the bullet and get some cardio done if you decide that you absolutely think that cardio is the way to go.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    i dont think so. i still hate it that's why i try to do HIIT as much as i can and when i'm too tired to do that, i close my eyes and think of england

lmao :heart:
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Love cardio. Love to sweat. Love the pain. Love the way it makes me feel, after I showered, of course
  • Lab2809
    Lab2809 Posts: 58
    Options
    I used to hate cardio (and strength training...actually working out in general). I sucked it up, kept at it and started seeing results. I started being able to endure more of it and that alone motivated me. Now I love it and the refreshed feeling afterwards (I never thought I would ever say that. Ever.). And now after seeing progress from strength training and lifting, I'm starting to love that too.
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    activity that's part of life is what works for me... I walk 3 miles to work and back (uphill on the way too!) and walk a couple of miles with the dog everyday I'm not at work... I teach dance twice a week and boogie round the kitchen while I'm cooking... I garden, clean out the chickens... etc etc... these all require exertion and stamina... but I never think of them as cardio, so i don't think about whether i like/hate them... they are just part of my life.

try to find something that fits you, so you don't have to think 'oh right, now i have to go do my excercise' I do not do strength training ... wielding a shovel will do...