When do you workout? Are you a morning person ?

Options
2»

Replies

• msgsarah
    msgsarah Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do a mixture of morning and evening workouts! I try to vary my routine between running (outdoors), a gym set, boot camp classes (outdoors) and toning classes (indoors).

If it's just the gym, I much prefer getting it out of the way in the moming, like you. I work long hours and by the time I get home, the temptation is definately to skip it altogether! However, when you do classes and things, that works better in the evening for me and I find it easier to motivate myself to go than just plain gym, as there's a social aspect.

I have read that working out in the morning helps your body to burn calories continously throughout the day. Also if you exercise before eating anything in the morning, that is meant to super-charge your metabolism and up your resting metabolic rate.

So, if you like it in the mornings, stick at it!
  • carbonkid
    Options
    I prefer to run in the mornings, so it is banked. So often, I have skipped a morning workout thinking I can make up later, but then something comes up and I don't get chance.

Like to get it out of the way first thing.

I sometimes manage to fit in an hour at the gym in the evenings for cycling or the cross trainer.
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    definitely a morning person! Sets me up perfectly for the remainder of the day :)
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I hate morning workouts but it works better with uni. And at least its out of the way faster before my brain wakes up and realises what's happening..

Usually does mean I run on 3.5 - 6 hours of sleep a night though.:grumble:
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4.. I'm at gym by 5 am.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Definitely in the morning! That's when I have all my energy to throw into my workout =)
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I hate waking up early - I'm definitely a night owl.

HOWEVER, when I was working out at night I frequently found that I was unable to sleep until unusually(for me) late. Since I have two kids, the only other option for me is to wake up before they do, which is getting earlier and earlier. Currently, I'm getting up around 6am to hit up Insanity.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    World records are generally set mid afternoon, the inference that is drawn from this fact is that you perform better in the afternoon. I'm not a morning person anyway, so it suits me to do the excercise when I get home in the evening.

...or that's when the audience is available.

It all depends on a persons circadian rhythm, which means that although as a generalisation humans perform better around midday to afternoon, there is no one size fits all approach, as some people have slightly longer of shorter cycles.
    When it comes to athletes and record attempts, they will adapt there body clock by changing eating and sleeping patterns to be optimal for the event anyway, so when the event actually occurs has less significance.