eating back excersise calories doesnt work for me :(

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I dont eat my calories back either. I eat about 1650-1700 calories daily I exercise daily usually and at 1 hr. im finally losing after not eating them back

If that is the case then that means one or more of the following is happening:
    You over estimate how many cals you burn from exercise (using MFP or the machine will do this)
    You under estimating how much you eat (not weighing solids and measuring liquids)
    You have a lower BMR then MFP predicts
    You are retaining water, most likely either due to workouts or sodium intake
    You have Thyroid or other hormone issues
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that eating an extra 100-200 calories on the days I do a good workout works, but no more.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the feedback, very much appreciated xxx

Ok so the explanation for my diary is is that I am half using calorie counting and using the weight watchers method. So the reason why I have a lot of blank space is because they are the fruits and veg I eat. I eat fruit for breakfast and then through out the day but not all at once only if I feel hungry. Then I eat my dinner which consists of60g of dry white rice, vegan meat pieces and veg. I have this everyday though.

Someone said that I don't look overweight according to my picture lol bless ya, I'm pear shaped so the top half of me looks slim, but I carry A LOT of weight on my hips, thighs and bum. I'm 5ft 8inch and I weigh 200lbs.

I did a body fat estimate and turns out I have 145lbs of water and muscle and 53lbs of fat (27.3%) so I do have lots to lose.

I have a HRM to monitor my calories and they tell me I burn more than what MFP tells me. I have no problem with losing weight eating so little but I don't perform as well and I want to eat healthily after spending 3 years on a VLCD.

Would love to know what to do from here, I havent lost any weight in 2 months :(
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't work then stop eating them back.. Everyone is different :)
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you don't eat enough, and you don't log enough. If you eat 800-1200 calories a day you aren't going to drop much weight especially if you are exercising. I see ONE day where you ate enough (yesterday). You're going to have to give it a few weeks of consistently eating enough.

It's up to you - let yourself think like that and spend the rest of your life not eating much or trust your body to do what it should and fuel it properly - you're so young, I vote for the second choice.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hormone issues as I am post a complete hysterectomy and on HRT to level out a little but hasnt helped yet. I retain water due to my estrogen levels. My dietian actually recommended i reduce my calories of 1990 by a couple hundred (it was calculated at active level so no need to add exercise too
  • erickirb
    Options

Actually when it comes to cals in cals out we are all the same as long as you have your correct cals burned and consumed. The argument that we are all different is BS as we are all at least 99% the same, with very few exceptions.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This might be TMI but I am post-menopausal and my doctor told me NOT to eat back exercise calories and to cut 200 calories right off the top of anything I eat due to metabolism at my age if I want to lose weight. It's been working so far.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Options
    This might be TMI but I am post-menopausal and my doctor told me NOT to eat back exercise calories and to cut 200 calories right off the top of anything I eat due to metabolism at my age if I want to lose weight. It's been working so far.

Thats what i was told and im surgerically menopausal. I was told my metabolism due to my estrogen levels is lower. Its working for me ive never had so much energy either i was also told to eat about 140-150 grams of protein instead of 80 grams
  • erickirb
    Options

He also probably doesn't know that MFP already puts you in a deficit. most professionals use a different method of giving you an intake, as they include planed exercise into your maintenance (TDEE) whereas MFP ignores you exercise until you enter it.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.

So if that is the case you should take 200 off of your maintenance, and still eat the exercise cals back, or put in a higher activity level to account for exercise then take 200 cals off of that.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options

Actually when it comes to cals in cals out we are all the same as long as you have your correct cals burned and consumed. The argument that we are all different is BS as we are all at least 99% the same, with very few exceptions.

My point is some people eat them back.. Some don't.

Its all about calorie deficit.. I don't eat mine back so that I create a larger deficit so that I lose more each week.. Some people can lose just as much as I am each week by eating theirs back.. For me it doesn't work.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, if i eat back my exercise calories, I either gain or do not lose an ounce. I know it's against the advice, but its what i have to do to get the scale to move.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Options
    If i was inactive to lose 1 pound a week i need to eat according to MFP 1310 on non workout days I exercise 60-90 minutes daily burning 400-600 daily usually I do 30 DS, 20 minute jog on treadmill, and sometimes a longer workout from JM (yoga 2 times a week at least) they told me my dietitian to eat 1650 to 1700 but if i am hungry i eat more.
  • kanata
    kanata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You will find that the lighter you get the less calories you can consume and it'll become very difficult on the last few pounds.
    With regards to your weight watchers plans etc - you can find the calorie content on the packet or on MFP, so you need to log and use both, otherwise you're not getting the full extent of your calorie intake.

Erickirb seems to be well informed also. I have friends that even have thyroid and/or hormone problems but they find a way working with their physician. On that note - it's not best to advise others on what your physician has said to you unless it may apply to others posting. ie hormone/thyroid problems - advising others where these circumstances do not apply can be dangerous and should be made clear or others are at risk.

Let yourself do the calorie counting for at least a month to see a difference. If still no difference the best way is to eat a little over your exercise amount, and a little under every other day/weekly as some do. This keeps your metabolism guessing and thus keeps it working :)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

Ok so the explanation for my diary is is that I am half using calorie counting and using the weight watchers method. So the reason why I have a lot of blank space is because they are the fruits and veg I eat. I eat fruit for breakfast and then through out the day but not all at once only if I feel hungry. Then I eat my dinner which consists of60g of dry white rice, vegan meat pieces and veg. I have this everyday though.

Maybe try logging everything you eat, MFP isn't set up like WW/Slimming World where there are "free foods", the calories from fruit and veg will add up!
  • LINBAN01
    LINBAN01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is so not working for me. Calories in minus energy expended is doing nothing. So much for the little gadget that tells me what I will weigh after 5 weeks. In three week, still status quo. Kickboxing, running, strength training. 2 recovery days per week. 8 hours sleep. First week I did not eat back any exercise calories. For 2 weeks I have eaten back about 80% of exercise calories. Still nothing!
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jeepwidow01
    jeepwidow01 Posts: 173
    Options
    I completely understand your frustration because I am like you. Myfitnesspal limited me to 1500 calories for the weight I want to lose. Well when I put in my exercise, the site adds morcalories I am "supposedly" allotted. WELL THAT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME *sad face*. So I have been limiting myself between 1500 and 2000 calories. I have been doing a ton of cardio for the past 4 weeks and lost 6 lbs. I do not see a difference in my body and that is really discouraging but I know it will happen eventually. I am not going to incorporate weights until I at least lose 20 lbs. What ever you do... DO NOT GIVE UP! Have a productive day *hugs*.

You may not see the change in your body, but I'm sure if you take measurements, then you will see the difference in your body =) Good luck!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Check that you are recording your intake of calories and your expenditure of calories correctly. You can only gain if you eat more than your burn, or your body is seriously holding onto water

True. You may want to not eat your exercise calories for a week or so and then add them again. You just may trick your body into losing.