Bike riding

Options
So I have recently moved, and I live about 5 minutes (driving) from my work. So I thought I'd start riding my bike to work... Am I going to DIE?! How long does it take to get used to riding your bike on a regular basis? It's not a road bike, it's a mountain bike, which sucks because it's heavier

Replies

• DoNotBurnTheDay
    DoNotBurnTheDay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When I started riding last year, it took a good couple weeks before I wasn't in pain. I would definitely recommend getting some different tires on the bike if you have the big knobby ones that come with most mountain bikes, get something rounder and smoother. After a couple weeks, you won't need coffee to get going in the morning, the fresh air is amazing. :) You can do it! :)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    When I started riding last year, it took a good couple weeks before I wasn't in pain. I would definitely recommend getting some different tires on the bike if you have the big knobby ones that come with most mountain bikes, get something rounder and smoother. After a couple weeks, you won't need coffee to get going in the morning, the fresh air is amazing. :) You can do it! :)

Should I get a street bike? I don't want to look like an idiot riding my mountain bike down the road...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Your butt will hurt for a few weeks for sure....
    Just take your time and stick with it, you'll be glad you did.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

Should I get a street bike? I don't want to look like an idiot riding my mountain bike down the road...

You can, you don't NEED to.

Get a helmet though...
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options

I don't ride but when driving through the city, I see people on all types of bikes. I wouldn't worry about people thinking you're weird but if it helps to get different tires, maybe take the other persons suggestion!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    Do I need a helmet?
  • greyt2bfit
    greyt2bfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    Do I need a helmet?

Need? No.
    Should you? Absolutely

I always wear mine, no matter when or where I am riding. It's just smart bike riding..
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Any bike riding need helmets. Cars and bikes don't work well together. :) We want to see you again.
  • bussaca
    bussaca Posts: 22
    Options
    My 2 cents - yes, get a helmet, especially with people texting and not paying attention...
  • Indy_Mario
    Indy_Mario Posts: 541
    Options
    Do I need a helmet?

Yes, please wear a helmet.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    100x yes on the helmet.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If it's only a 5 min drive, the bike ride won't be that bad, 15 mins maybe? Just take it easy, enjoy the fresh air and don't fret about it!
    I wouldn't bother with a helmet myself, but if you're going in the dark, use refectors and lights.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I ride my mtb on the street all the time. It is a little harder than a street bike and I looked into getting different tire, but when I went to the bike shop, rather than sell me new tires, the salesman suggested I inflate the tire to their max pressure. That help tremendously.

As for getting used to it, yep your butt/crotch and thighs will be sore for a couple of weeks because you're using muscles in those area in a different way than they are used to.
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with a helmet myself,

Can I ask your reasoning on this?
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Do I need a helmet?

Only if you don't want to DIIIIIEEEEE!

Even on the most innocuous roads it can get nasty.

My nemesis is the driver who speeds up to pass me (fine, expected, people pass bikes...) and then cuts right in front of me into a driveway (HEY WTF GTFO ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME???)

Or turns w/out a signal. Those types are fun.

But I don't want this to devolve into a bikes-vs-cars debate ;)

YES, a helmet IMNSHO is a requisite tool of the trade.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    If it's only a 5 min drive, the bike ride won't be that bad, 15 mins maybe? Just take it easy, enjoy the fresh air and don't fret about it!
    I wouldn't bother with a helmet myself, but if you're going in the dark, use refectors and lights.

I would leave at about 7:30 which is when the sun is already out, but not completely. I will be going on heavily traveled roads, so I think the helmet might be a good idea.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    I don't know about yours but when I got my bike it had one of those long skinny seats. I have a lot of problems with my back so I got a more cushioned seat and it made all the difference for me to be able to ride it without pain. Just a thought :)
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    I'm always nervous as hell when I see bikers without helmets! Why risk it? All it takes is one person who's not paying attention for something horrible to happen.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

As for getting used to it, yep your butt/crotch and thighs will be sore for a couple of weeks because you're using muscles in those area in a different way than they are used to.

This is one of the perks, nice *kitten* and legs! lol