Lifting, Punk Style

Options
As I was driving into work today, the 1st song to come on was Healthy Body by Operation Ivy. Made me think I should make a new playlist for lifting. Lots and lots of punk and hardcore music. And by punk, I mean real punk! Ideas???

Replies

• ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Does it need to be related to health? I listen to the Madball Pandora station a lot.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    My playlist has a couple Rancid tunes (RubySoho, roots radicals), op Iv (take warning, healthy body), casualties (punx nite, riot) and some other stuff.
  • duchess_natas
    duchess_natas Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Does it need to be related to health? I listen to the Madball Pandora station a lot.

Doesn't have to be health related. Just something to keep me pumped. I don't have Pandora on my iPhone and that's what I use when I'm working out. Or something from my actual CD collection. Yeah, I'm old school like that. I'd pull out my EP's, but that would take forever to get through the workout...hehehe.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Minor threat
    fugazi
    Crass
    Government Issue
    Rage Against The Machine

I can keep going and going.....
  • duchess_natas
    Options
    My playlist has a couple Rancid tunes (RubySoho, roots radicals), op Iv (take warning, healthy body), casualties (punx nite, riot) and some other stuff.

Ohhhh...Casualties...I like the way you listen/think!
  • duchess_natas
    Options
    Minor threat
    fugazi
    Crass
    Government Issue
    Rage Against The Machine

I can keep going and going.....

Got it
    Got it
    Got it
    Got it
    Need it - Lost it on tape...must replace ASAP
  • dlaw216
    dlaw216 Posts: 14
    Options
    What about setting up a full workout playlist? I know you can get away with using Spotify (http://www.spotify.com) but I tend to listen to the local radio on my cell since its easier for me.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I always get pumped up when Dead Kennedy's Holiday in Cambodia pops up on my playlist when I'm at the gym. The rampaging guitar march always gets me going. Might be an acquired taste though... some people really don't like his voice!
  • duchess_natas
    Options
    I always get pumped up when Dead Kennedy's Holiday in Cambodia pops up on my playlist when I'm at the gym. The rampaging guitar march always gets me going. Might be an acquired taste though... some people really don't like his voice!

Got a lot of Dead Kennedy's, his voice isn't a problem. It's actually one of the things I really like about the band...and a few others.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Now you've got me searching my music folder haha! This is more "rapcore" (whatever that is... thanks wikipedia!) than traditional punk or hardcore, but this song might push you to a new level:

Downset - Anger
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqh_AzlEjKU
  • duchess_natas
    Options
    I'd say Downset would got more towards my Hardcore roots. 20 years in the DC Metro when the Hardcore scene was coming alive...love me some Hardcore!
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Adicts & Vanilla Muffins aren't very heavy but they're super fast paced. Gorilla Biscuits are so positive it would keep me in a good mood working out. 25 Ta Life, H2O, Sick of It All any of those NYHC styles for angry/heavy lifting.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Agnostic Front
    Minor Threat
    Misfits
    DRI
    Suicidal Tendencies
  • StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    GBH
    DISCHARGE
    BROKEN BONES
    COCKSPARRER
    THE ADICTS
    ANTI NOWHERE LEAGUE
    CHAOS UK

AND HOW BOUT SOME ROCK N ROLL AND METAL LIKE:
    MOTORHEAD
    JUDAS PRIEST
    G N R
  • duchess_natas
    Options
    Agnostic Front
    Minor Threat
    Misfits
    DRI
    Suicidal Tendencies

Need it - Lost it on tape, must replace ASAP
    Got it
    Got it
    Got it
    ****ing Got it!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I created a bad religion station on pandora and it's been a pretty good mix of punk/ pop punk.

mostly bad religion, the descendants, nofx etc.

I used to listen to the distillers and flogging molly while running.
  • duchess_natas
    Options
    GBH
    DISCHARGE
    BROKEN BONES
    COCKSPARRER
    THE ADICTS
    ANTI NOWHERE LEAGUE
    CHAOS UK

AND HOW BOUT SOME ROCK N ROLL AND METAL LIKE:
    MOTORHEAD
    JUDAS PRIEST
    G N R

I worked out a few weeks ago to CockSparrer. Just listened to some Adicts. I like rock and roll and metal, I own all 3 of those bands you listed. But when I'm working out, I like my punk and hardcore. Sometimes I'll get pumped to some old Industrial from my many, many years clubbing and dancing to said music, but that's mainly when I'm doing cardio.
  • duchess_natas
    Options
    I created a bad religion station on pandora and it's been a pretty good mix of punk/ pop punk.

mostly bad religion, the descendants, nofx etc.

I used to listen to the distillers and flogging molly while running.

Got all of those but Distillers. I'll have to look into them.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Got all of those but Distillers. I'll have to look into them.

Not bad at all.
    One of the only bands with a chick singer that I'll listen to.
    She was married to Tim Armstrong from Rancid.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Lately for me it's been all about rediscovering No Empathy while running, but I bet they would work for lifting too!