When will they notice?

Options
I know this topic has been on here before but I haven't seen one in a while.

Anyways! ... is there anyone else out there wondering?
I've lost nearly 25 lbs and no one has said anything... I know I can't see it myself but I think that is normal and I know the people I see everyday aren't going to notice but I've been seeing a lot of family that I don't see often and some friends and no one has said a thing its kind of a kick to the ego if you ask me how much is it going to take?!

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I think it's an awkward thing for a lot of people. You've lost 25lbs, which should be noticable, but people are probably worried to say anything until it's blatantly obvious, you know? I'm a fairly small person so my 14lbs is totally noticable to me and my husband, but no one else has said anything. Oh well... keep kickin butt. One day they won't be able to stop gawking at you. :)
  • heyemz
    heyemz Posts: 12
    Options
    Ha! I know what you mean. I've lost 13 pounds now and my co worker I see every single day always tells me I look smaller; however, my close friends who I hadn't seen in a couple weeks didn't say anything. Weird right?
  • Tiffaney82690
    Options
    Ha! I know what you mean. I've lost 13 pounds now and my co worker I see every single day always tells me I look smaller; however, my close friends who I hadn't seen in a couple weeks didn't say anything. Weird right?

I feel ya!
    My coworkers have said it but I think its because they know im dieting same with my family but my friends say nothing it bugs me!
  • Tiffaney82690
    Options
    I think it's an awkward thing for a lot of people. You've lost 25lbs, which should be noticable, but people are probably worried to say anything until it's blatantly obvious, you know? I'm a fairly small person so my 14lbs is totally noticable to me and my husband, but no one else has said anything. Oh well... keep kickin butt. One day they won't be able to stop gawking at you. :)

I agree with the awkward part! some people just don't want to say anything because they just don't know how lol but I feel like when I used to see people and I had gained weight or something they'd be like have you lost weight?? and Im like um definitely not but now when I actually have no one seems to notice
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't like to say anything to my friends because:

When I say "Have you lost weight? You look great!" it sorta seems to imply "You were tubby before", which is not at all what I mean to say! I just want to say 'damn girl, lookin gooood!'
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the same problem. My mom notices if I lose a pound. :noway:
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I don't like to say anything to my friends because:

When I say "Have you lost weight? You look great!" it sorta seems to imply "You were tubby before", which is not at all what I mean to say! I just want to say 'damn girl, lookin gooood!'

^^^ that!!
  • janb23
    Options
    I have lost around 70 lbs and still have a way to go. The girl that sits next to me at work has lost around the same but is now at her goal weight. I am so over everyone saying" hasn't she done so well, and oh have you lost a little weight too". The other day i told someone i had lost the same amount as my co worker and she just looked at me strangely and said "really". I bump into people i haven't seen for a while and they say nothing. I am sure it is because i am still over weight and not yet what you would call skinny by any means.
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Someone said something on here about a month ago that made sense. She likened losing weight to a roll of paper towels. When you start out, you are like a full roll of paper towels. When you tear off just a couple sheets, it isn't very noticeable. However, if you tear off a lot, you can tell. If you are smaller (and the roll of paper towels is almost gone), even a few sheets removed from the roll can be noticed. So, if you are larger to start, you are going to have to lose more weight before people notice than if you are small with only a few pounds to lose.

My example, I started out with 106 pounds to lose and have lost 17. I am not even close to down a size yet and no one (except my one friend IRL who is also on MFP) notices my loss (not even me or my husband!). However, my mom who was 130 pounds before she got sick, when she went down 17 to 113 - you could TOTALLY tell....EVERYONE could. So, I am a large, new roll of paper towels and she is a roll nearing the end. I hope this makes sense. It totally did to me and made me feel so much better about people not noticing!
  • Tiffaney82690
    Options
    I have lost around 70 lbs and still have a way to go. The girl that sits next to me at work has lost around the same but is now at her goal weight. I am so over everyone saying" hasn't she done so well, and oh have you lost a little weight too". The other day i told someone i had lost the same amount as my co worker and she just looked at me strangely and said "really". I bump into people i haven't seen for a while and they say nothing. I am sure it is because i am still over weight and not yet what you would call skinny by any means.

wow! well I have to say great job that is an amazing loss... but I understand what you are saying I guess I just have to be patient I have been overweight all of my life and people are used to it so me shedding a little weight isnt really obvious I can't wait to say ive lost 70 lbs! even if people decide not to notice :P
  • Tiffaney82690
    Options
    Someone said something on here about a month ago that made sense. She likened losing weight to a roll of paper towels. When you start out, you are like a full roll of paper towels. When you tear off just a couple sheets, it isn't very noticeable. However, if you tear off a lot, you can tell. If you are smaller (and the roll of paper towels is almost gone), even a few sheets removed from the roll can be noticed. So, if you are larger to start, you are going to have to lose more weight before people notice than if you are small with only a few pounds to lose.

My example, I started out with 106 pounds to lose and have lost 17. I am not even close to down a size yet and no one (except my one friend IRL who is also on MFP) notices my loss (not even me or my husband!). However, my mom who was 130 pounds before she got sick, when she went down 17 to 113 - you could TOTALLY tell....EVERYONE could. So, I am a large, new roll of paper towels and she is a roll nearing the end. I hope this makes sense. It totally did to me and made me feel so much better about people not noticing!

I totally understand! after I posted last night I was thinking about it and this is kind of i idea I got like since Im bigger and have been my entire life its not terribly noticable to other people they are used to me being overweight as well as I am ... So its just going to take time I guess! and Ill have to be patient. also congrats on the loss!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It can be very frustrating for people not to notice. I have lost 20 pounds and no one has said anything...UNTIL this morning. A co-worker asked me how much weight I have lost when I brought up something weight related, that had nothing to do with me. She caught me off guard. And she said she had noticed mine but never said anything and thought it was much more. Give it time. But more importantly make sure you realize how far you have come!!
  • monicaroozo
    Options
    Not sure what your weather is like over there. But its cold and everyone is bundled here!! People have no noticed my 10% body weight change either... but keep the motivation going and you can shock them all when summer hits and the layers of clothing come off!!
  • mrscollins1112
    Options
    This is how I was feeling. I have only lost about 11 pounds, my co workers always tell me they see a differance but I dont always know if it is because they "know" what I am doing or if they really see a differance. I was visiting my family and no one had said anything. I then posted a new picture on facebook and I felt awesome I could see how toned I am getting and was excited. Then everyone was saying what a differance they see.

It really depends on the person to be honest. As my parents in law I find it was awkward they would talk about it with my husband but never with me untila couple days ago. I think it is just tough as people dont want to upset you.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It's dangerous for a man to comment on a woman's weight loss. We notice, but if we say something we are very likely to be chewed out unless it is a close friend.

For instance:
    "I noticed you lost weight" gets a "you noticed huh? you sayin' I needed to lose weight you jerk?"
    "you look great" gets a "and I didn't before you jerk?"
    "keep up the good work" gets a "why? because I can't possibly be comfortable with where I am now?"

I wish I was making those up, but I've actually heard those responses from at least two coworkers when other coworkers complimented them.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's dangerous for a man to comment on a woman's weight loss. We notice, but if we say something we are very likely to be chewed out unless it is a close friend.

For instance:
    "I noticed you lost weight" gets a "you noticed huh? you sayin' I needed to lose weight you jerk?"
    "keep up the good work" gets a "why? because I can't possibly be comfortable with where I am now?"

I wish I was making those up, but I've actually heard those responses from at least two coworkers when other coworkers complimented them.

awww how could anyone call you a jerk, your awesome!!!
  • AubriaJordan
    Options

For instance:

Back in '03 I started a new job with a bunch of young good looking guys and I started to go to the gym every morning and one of the guys said to me "You're looking good are you working out" and "yea... " as I turned red in the face :) LoL because I thought he was adorable.... then after he got divorced we hooked up :) haha

SO not all girls take comments as negative!
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the same bigger clothes that fit you 25 lbs ago? Maybe they haven't noticed because it's hiding. Get some smaller clothes, or just be happy with how far you've come, they'll notice soon enough!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I never say anything to anyone else about losing weight because 1) I HATE it when people ask "have you lost weight?" if I haven't ( I don't want to make them feel like they should if I'm wrong, and my grandma used to do this to me ALL THE TIME) and 2) I am really bad at noticing weight loss so I just assume I am wrong and it's just a different shirt, etc.

BUT keep up the good work. People probably DO notice you are looking good but they dont' say anything because weight is a very sensitive subject.
  • bcsrule
    bcsrule Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Close friends are usually quick to say, wow you've lost weight. I saw someone at a family reunion this past weekend and he started with uh, I don't mean anything by this, but you've lost weight haven't you..I just smiled and said yes Thank you! :smile: