Ladies Only - Female Question re: Depo and Weight Loss

Options
13»

Replies

• Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Suggestion time! Try the implanon ;)

Can't do combination hormonal contraceptives like Implanon because it increases blood pressure. Or at least I can't do them until my blood pressure is maintained without a medication. Hopefully that will come in time, because the derm one sounds much less invasive than the cervical one :)

Implanon is not a combined contraceptive, it doesnt have eostrogen in ... im a headache sufferer and cant have combined :-) its fab and cheap too really for 3 years and no nasty 3 monthy jabs!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Depo on & off for 15yrs & have only had periods when I first started back on it...Otherwise a little spotting on occasion especially when I was stressed or changing my diet...I have used this so often b/c it is the easiest for me & I have no periods...Thank goodness...I am on it now after having my now 3yr old (was not on depo when I got pregnant) mainly b/c I am over 35 & smoke which has less risks of heart attack & high blood pressure than any other options...Any spotting with the depo is just fine from what I understand & from 15 yrs of being on it....If you are very concerned just call your doctor or obgyn.... I hope this helps you.. :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stew774
    stew774 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight on Depo and had a neverending period. I actually ended up getting pregnant on it, which eventually did stop the period :-)
    Hated the depo, love the boy I got in the end :-)
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This happened last time too, but its happening again this round. I'm on Depo Provera and pretty much immediately stopped having periods. So it's been like 5 years maybe more? But during periods of weight loss, I spot occasionally. Is this normal? Should I call my doctor? I know spotting can occur with Depo, but I've never had it except when I'm losing weight. Any insight or others on DP who want to chime in: your response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was on depo years ago, I had very bad side effects. I gained 40 lbs, had migrains, mood swings, awful stuff. I spotted occasionally. It's just not very good for you overall. I have been using Mirena IUD for almost 10 years now and I don't have a period now either, but none of the side effects.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Depo shot has a list of side-effects that requires a booklet. Pretty insane if you ask me... I don't think it should be allowed to be on the market. I was on it once, gained about 20lbs, felt horrible the entire time. I didn't have a period for about a year. (From one shot.) I also grew hair in weird places, and my skin pigment changed in little spots on my face. Thankfully those things went away when the shot wore off...
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There is a new procedure called Essure that is female sterilization that is not surgery. I'm looking into it right now as my husband and I are done with kids and I'd love to stop putting extra hormones into my body.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    This happened last time too, but its happening again this round. I'm on Depo Provera and pretty much immediately stopped having periods. So it's been like 5 years maybe more? But during periods of weight loss, I spot occasionally. Is this normal? Should I call my doctor? I know spotting can occur with Depo, but I've never had it except when I'm losing weight. Any insight or others on DP who want to chime in: your response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was on depo years ago, I had very bad side effects. I gained 40 lbs, had migrains, mood swings, awful stuff. I spotted occasionally. It's just not very good for you overall. I have been using Mirena IUD for almost 10 years now and I don't have a period now either, but none of the side effects.

Me too. Love my Mirena. lol I recommend it to anyone who asks about it. :)
  • dshelsten
    Options
    I had a miserable experience with Depo. Weight gain, acne, loss of libido. The loss of libido was the most disturbing side effect because I was newly married. Then when the weight came on, there was body loathing. I had one shot and never went back for another. I don't know that everyone responds this way but certainly it was not good for me. It's hard enough to lose weight, and its complicated and wracked with individual mind games and issues. I believe Depo made it much more difficult. Now I'm over 40 and I feel my metabolism is already inclined to be challenged. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with a different birth control, even if it were less convenient.
  • ColleenDeBeasi
    ColleenDeBeasi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also love my Mirena- periods have basically stopped, and hormones are isolated to my uterine area. I haven't had any children either, but my PCP was comfortable prescribing it- she actually encouraged it over the Implanon for me. It did hurt like a B**** when it was put in, but the cramping subsided.

The only thing to note is that the failure (i.e. it falls out) rate is higher for women who haven't had children.

I understand where you're coming from. I have HBP as well, so my options were also limited. DH and I weren't going to start trying for children for a while, so it made sense for us.
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also love my Mirena- periods have basically stopped, and hormones are isolated to my uterine area. I haven't had any children either, but my PCP was comfortable prescribing it- she actually encouraged it over the Implanon for me. It did hurt like a B**** when it was put in, but the cramping subsided.

The only thing to note is that the failure (i.e. it falls out) rate is higher for women who haven't had children.

I understand where you're coming from. I have HBP as well, so my options were also limited. DH and I weren't going to start trying for children for a while, so it made sense for us.

It didn't hurt at all for me, felt like a pap, uncomfortable, but not painful. I had the first one taken out too,and a new one put in almost five years ago, no issues.
  • taboo711
    taboo711 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been on Depo for 12 years now, gained no weight the first couple, right about the time I turned 20, I've put on weight consistantly. I have now gained 50 pounds. I started working out in February, 4-5 days a week, 1-2 hours a day, and watching what I eat, 1200 calories a day. I've only lost 5 pounds. I am due for my shot next month. I just relocated, so I'm looking for a new doctor and will be finding another method of birth control!
  • jadedlili02
    Options
    I have used Depo off and on over the years. However, this time I have gained 20lbs while on it. In the past it would just stop my cycle but now that I have started working out regularly I'm spotting with it. As much as I hate to say it I think I'm going to be switching to the pills when it's time for my next dose of Depo.