Long term success and exercise calories

Options

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I have lost 30 pounds using MFP and started maintaining my weight <2 months ago.

How long have you been on MFP? One year and change (joined February 2011)

How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1730

Do you eat your exercise calories? Yes
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    Bump. I like this post.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP? Since mid January, 2011.
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1600 for maintenance since mid September.
    Do you eat your exercise calories? Yes, 100% of them, though I do rely on a different site (MapMyRun) to calculate the burn.

Did you strength train in addition to your cardio? Yes
    What was your weekly goal? A pound a week until I was around 12 pounds above my original goal, then a half pound or less.
    Did you ever hit a plateau? No. I didn't always hit target, but a loss was recorded every week.

Preservation of muscle mass was a major issue for me from day one because, as a reforming couch potato in my late 50s, I knew I didn't have any to spare. So I never ate fewer than 2/3rds of my exercise calories and dropped that low only after I had strong evidence that the burn for a given exercise was being overestimated.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP since January 27, 2011. When I was in weight loss mode (and I've lost 91 lbs), I was eating 1400-1600 calories a day plus half my exercise calories (more when I was training for my half marathon).

I'm currently in maintenance and eat between 1900-2300 calories, depending on exercise.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP? Approx. 240 days (started 8/1/11)
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1500
    Do you eat your exercise calories? Generally, no. I workout 3-4 times a week and prefer not to eat them (but enjoy the safety net they provide). If I do eat them, it's on a weekend.
  • kettrickenx
    kettrickenx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP? 75 days already
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 900-1300
    Do you eat your exercise calories? No. I try but I just can't.
  • thilyer
    thilyer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP? 250+ days
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1600-1800
    Do you eat your exercise calories? yes, some if not all of them!

SW 303.4 (1/1/11 -- started w/weight watchers - came to MFP in june/july)
    CW 193.6 (down 109.8lbs)
    GW 160
    5'6'' - 29 y/o
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP? 262 days so far!
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1450 but I'm thinking about bumping it up some.
    Do you eat your exercise calories? Heck yeah! They taste so good!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

under 1200 is WAY too little.
    and YES you can eat your exercise calories. being full is a cop out - make smart choices - choose more calorie dense food.
  • zeikiya989
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP? Since December 2011
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? Try to stay at 1500-1700
    Do you eat your exercise calories? No I try not to
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump....Love this topic...Very informative...Thanks for this topic...

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

and YES you can eat your exercise calories. being full is a cop out - make smart choices - choose more calorie dense food.

Correct!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP? Since Aug 2010. Been using regularly since end of January 2012
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1302
    Do you eat your exercise calories? Some. Being a person with hypothyroidism, I can't have them all back :sad:

I was 178 when I joined. I wasup to 196 at the beginning of the year. Started using MFP again at 190ish. So I've lost 7.5 pounds here?
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    Please help me understand this: Your saying if I work out and say I burn 900 cals that day, I can eat those 900 cals? I usually eat 1200-1300 cals a day and Im scared to eat the 900 cals I burned because I think I will gain weight, so sometimes I get a headache and go to bed hungry and wake up really hungry. Help me out becasue If i can eat those cals that I burned along with the regualr cals I eat then I may feel better, I have only been on this MFP since Jan 17 -2012 and I have lost 11lbs but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.? Thanks!
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Please help me understand this: Your saying if I work out and say I burn 900 cals that day, I can eat those 900 cals? I usually eat 1200-1300 cals a day and Im scared to eat the 900 cals I burned because I think I will gain weight, so sometimes I get a headache and go to bed hungry and wake up really hungry. Help me out becasue If i can eat those cals that I burned along with the regualr cals I eat then I may feel better, I have only been on this MFP since Jan 17 -2012 and I have lost 11lbs but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.? Thanks!

My opinion:

1. You are doing something right because you have lost 11 lbs toward your goal.
    2. You could probably do even better if you ate your extra exercise calories. (Some or all of the 900 calories in your example.) You'll feel better and are more likely to be able to keep working toward your goal. The headaches sound like your body is "running on empty." Eat some more and give your body the fuel it needs to keep exercising.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP? 15 days since I started being serious about it but ive been here for a couple of months
    How many calories a day do you eat without exercise calories? 1380
    Do you eat your exercise calories? Yes
  • genablue
    genablue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

Correct!

100% agree! You need to eat! Calorie- and nutrient-dense foods are great options to get your nutrition in.