How Do You Flavour Your Popcorn Kernels?

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is probably a really stupid question, but is there a trick to getting seasoning to stick without adding butter?

Adding MOISTURE is the key.

I use a little (butter flavored) oil when popping .... the salt sticks just fine. A Power Pop - microwave bowl is excellent.

Other people use butter flavored sprays, or oil mister bottles. You could spray other liquids (vinegar) but the popcorn with get a little soggy. Use a very fine mister spray bottle ... you should be ok.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Franks red hot and white chesse popcorn flavor. Om nom nom.
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    go crazy with the spice cabinet. When I was in college (many moons ago) they would host a free movie night. My husband and I would get some of our friends to go with us. I would make 3 - 4 types of popcorn (salted and/or buttered, Italian, Chili, and whatever I happened to think of that night!) It was good, cheap entertainment but it was fun!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    garlic powder, basil cayenne pepper 1/4 tea of each in the butter. Then parmesan cheese. Delish!
  • randilynn113
    randilynn113 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    franks red hot.... i put that *kitten* on everything.... it is SO good :happy:

I am trying this tonight. Sounds amazing, never thought to try Frank's on popcorn!!!!! :happy:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon & sugar (or Splenda) ... doesn't take much.
  • bmorton82
    bmorton82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    franks red hot.... i put that *kitten* on everything.... it is SO good :happy:

Ditto! I seriously put that **** on everything!! Somtimes I find myself having it with every meal. :)
  • smilewithkatherine
    smilewithkatherine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ranch seasoning by Kernal Seasonings
  • traveller888
    traveller888 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use butter flavored pam and seasoned salt or parmesan cheese!:happy:
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Texas pete!
  • kdiment
    kdiment Posts: 31
    Options
    I don't really care for flavoring my popcorn, but if I'm craving chocolate, I'll mix a fun-sized bag of M&Ms into my popcorn. It sounds gross, but it's a GREAT combination of salty and sweet! I only do this with smart pop though, because it already has the butter and salty flavor. I'm sure you could do it with regular kernels as well.
  • WinterBlue
    Options
    Spray crisco? (i think that's what it's called) butter flavor oil spray on the kernels and then add johny's seasoning salt or yeast (it's the type you get in bulk at the store..it's yellow; good source of fiber). OR crisco with cinnamon with a small amount of sugar, you can use truvia too...and some salt. sweet and salty!
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love a little butter, KAL Nutrional Yeast, and salt, but I need to branch out and try other (less caloric) ways to eat my popcorn.
    Franks red hot and white chesse popcorn flavor. Om nom nom.
    This sounds heavenly!! I love Franks!! Also, all the vinegar suggestions sound good...I'm going to have to pop some popcorn soon!
  • lorim77
    lorim77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Inject tobasco sauce into the bag before you pop it... mmmmmm
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    nutritional yeast tastes like parm and is good.

so is cayenne and red pepper flakes. i like heat.

i've heard peanut butter is good....i may have to try this.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Butter flavoured Pam and some Parmesan cheese or Buffalo Wild Wings Salt and Vinegar seasoning. My fiance likes nutritional yeast on his.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for flavoring my popcorn, but if I'm craving chocolate, I'll mix a fun-sized bag of M&Ms into my popcorn. It sounds gross, but it's a GREAT combination of salty and sweet! I only do this with smart pop though, because it already has the butter and salty flavor. I'm sure you could do it with regular kernels as well.

not odd at all. my mom used to do this for us when we were little and we would rent a video player (back in the day) and have movie night at home.
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do a little bit of garlic powder and slightly more of the onion powder. It almost tastes like sour cream and onion chips!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    A couple of sprays of butter, salt, and ground red pepper.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Spray margarine and salt but now I use more spice seasoning(Dinosaur BBQ rub)