RFID chips in your credit cards!!! MUST READ!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    don't tell me ... your friend said to FORWARD IT TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!
  • kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The card use in the UK is likely nothing more than the card # was compromised somewhere it was used in the past. It really has nothing to do with the RFID chip. Also, debit card #'s can be picked up in exactly the same manner- they just cause bigger headaches than credit cards.

FYI... I did debit/credit card fraud detection for 3 years. I had to give this type of spiel on a regular basis along with telling people that 'yes that mystery transaction may only be $.01, but that means your card is compromised and you need a new # ASAP before the real fraud starts! People are so silly sometimes....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's not that I'm concerned for myself. I wrap my credit cards in tin foil, obviously. But others may need to read this vital information.
    Don't stop at wrapping up your cards. They are also trying to read your mind to get your PIN.

Tin_foil_hat_2.png
    Don't be insulting. Do you really think I would forget my hat?
  • NikkiPsuedoDupuis
    NikkiPsuedoDupuis Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    LOL, a friend sent me this a few weeks ago absolutely terrified about identity theft......then she paid a bill with her credit card on her wireless phone. ;)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    don't tell me ... your friend said to FORWARD IT TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!

Well if the person didn't they were going to receive 8 years of bad luck. But if they sent it to 10 people they would meet the man of their dreams tomorrow. So logically you just gotta...
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    It'll give ya cancer too. I read it on the internets.

Internet_serious_business_bush.jpg
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This person was trying to give some information that she thought would be helpful. Please be kind!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    What does RFID stand for?

Really
    F*cking
    IDiotic?
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you keep bumping and/or replying to this thread, Bill Gates will pay $245 to every person that bumps or replies. Because Microsoft is tracking this thread.

Not true. Another internet urban legend.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    The card use in the UK is likely nothing more than the card # was compromised somewhere it was used in the past. It really has nothing to do with the RFID chip. Also, debit card #'s can be picked up in exactly the same manner- they just cause bigger headaches than credit cards.

FYI... I did debit/credit card fraud detection for 3 years. I had to give this type of spiel on a regular basis along with telling people that 'yes that mystery transaction may only be $.01, but that means your card is compromised and you need a new # ASAP before the real fraud starts! People are so silly sometimes....

Bump. Finally someone who knows what they are talking about.
  • soagirl777
    soagirl777 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No my friend did not tell me to send it to everone I know. Him sending me the email and my credit card number being stolen was a coincidence. No, it was not due to rfid theft as none of my cards have it. I was just sharing with others what I had just learned about.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It's good to share warnings and make other people aware of things, but it's also good to assess the situation for what it is too.

I know people have died in car crashes, but people would think I was mad if I then said everyone should refuse cars because they kill people.

Similarly yes RFID tags in credit cards can pose a fraud risk, but realistically no more so than using your card on the internet, over the phone and a whole host of other ways people use their cards every day.
    What they can also do is make quick payments for small items really easily (see my previous post in this topic), which to me makes it worth the risk to me.

For sure get people to consider this, but blanket telling them to reject RFID tags in cards is just extremism and scaremongering.