Weighing In Daily VS Weighing in Weekly

Options

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh daily so I can see the fluctuations. A lot of people say to weigh in only weekly or monthly to get a better idea of a true weight, but I actually disagree with this. If you should't weigh in daily because your weight fluctuates, then how do you know that just because "it's Sunday and that's weight in day" you're at an accurate weight. You don't. You might be fluctuating that day. The thing to watch is trends. I only check in every week or couple weeks (usually when the scale hits a low # :laugh:), but when I get on the scale on Sunday I know if it's a true weight or not based on the trends I have seen throughout the week. If I'm up 3 lbs but I was down 1 consistently for 4 days, I know that being up 3 is not real. If I only weighed weekly, I might think I actually gained 3 lbs that week. Now, granted weighing weekly over a long period of time also creates a trend, but you have to be ready and willing to disregard some of those weights as "false" readings and wait many weeks to build a true trending pattern.
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    There has just been a huge thread on this.

I weigh in daily at home, but officially on a drug store scale weekly. I record weekly

This includes body fat %
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh in daily, but only recorded it here weekly
    now i weigh in monthly.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only track it on Fridays. I find it motivating when i lose even slightly and it makes me work harder when i have a gain (both of which are totally normal).
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Your call. Whatever makes you happier and fits with your mental attitude if the weigh in is not where you want it to be. Will it motivate you to do better or cause you to go off the deep end and backslide. For the record, I weigh myself every morning butt naked. I don't count it as an official weigh in each time as there are constant fluctuations based on any number of reasons. After I consistently see a number several times or more I then record it.
  • natsladybug
    Options
    I weigh in daily so I can keep track of foods that I might need to avoid that cause lots of flucuations. I only record it once a week.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily so I have an idea of where I'm at and to keep myself on track diet-wise, but I only update my weight on here weekly (Friday mornings, no clothes, before eating, for the record). I also have been keeping track of inches - I've been seeing a big change there even when I don't see a difference in the scale!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do it weekly because otherwise the fluctuations mess me up. Case in point: last Saturday morning I weighed 143.5. Two days later, I was 146. (?)
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    daily on 3 scales.. Take an avg at the end of the week. Always NAKED............. No food or water for 3 hrs at NIGHT
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to keep an eye on it, but it's not official until Saturdays.

The scale fluctuates a lot, you have to take it with a grain of salt.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily, same time every morning. It keeps me on track - if I see it starts to go up, I can crack down on calories. I'm personally much more successful with weight loss now that I weigh in every day. Helps keep me accountable, and I don't stress out over the little fluctuations, like I would if I was going just once a week.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I weigh every day....sometimes a couple of times a day, just to keep myself more focused. I know its going to fluctuate, but if it goes up and I know I didn't drink much water the day before, it helps me to make myself drink more the next day. I only count my weigh in's on Thursday tho. I have told myself NOT to weight in every day...but it kills me and I end up doing it anyways. :)
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Weighing weekly is good if the daily fluctuations you see weighing daily gets you down. But I agree with others that weighing daily helps keep you honest.

I weigh every day, in the morning first thing when I start the shower to heat up. But I'm okay with the lb fluctuations. (It used to mess with my head. :)) (I also weigh daily because I use another app in conjunction with MFP to keep track of my "weight trends".)
  • jdgarrett22
    Options
    I weigh in everyday as I feel it holds me accountable each day. I know that there will be good and bad days but I like the thought.
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I weigh in daily...I read somewhere that people who weigh themselves daily lose more than those who weigh themselves weekly, but I do it daily because it keeps me focused on my goal during the day. I can look back and remember, oh right, I wanted to lose another two pounds by the end of the month, etc.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    For me, weekly is better. I don't want to become obsessed with the scales and I can't tolerate the disappointment if I weigh every day and if there is a weight loss, I'd rather wait for Monday and give myself a lift at the beginning of week.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and only count it when it is lower. :)

I know most of the time the fluctuations are related to water or sodium, so nothing to worry about.

Unless it is higher for a while.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Daily, first thing in the morning, after bathroom, before coffee or anything else consumed. HOWEVER (!), don't look at the daily numbers, always look at seven of them for the trend. Focus on a single day will cause you anxiety and headache (unless you understand sodium/water retaining)... weight loss/gain is something that happens over a period of time. You can gain and lose 3 pounds a day easily, and neither is very good measurement in itself.. you'll be unnecessarily worried on the day you gain, and you'll have false hope on the day you lose. Checking your weekly pattern every day does it for me, occasionally I look at the monthly pattern. A statement such as "I lost 3 pounds today" is meaningless. One that says "I lost 10 pounds last month" is one that matters from importance standpoint.
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    I weigh and record first thin in the morning every single day! It keeps me focused and I find myself not letting myself have "cheat days". Fluctuations CAN be frustrating, but I find that overall I'm far more focused if I weigh and record every day.
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to track my fluctuations (high sodium days). But I only record weekly. Always on the same day. I have noticed by tracking daily that my highest weight is ALWAYS on a Tuesday and my lowest is ALWAYS on a Thursday. So I record on Thursdays.

This is exactly what I do! My high day is always Thursday and low day is always Saturday so the number I pay attention to is Saturday.