Foam rollers?

Options
Has anyone tried them? Awesome? Lame? I am just looking for some feedback about them. Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried them? Awesome? Lame? I am just looking for some feedback about them. Thanks!

If you're a runner buy one, it will become your new best friend!

Take the time to learn to use it properly, just quickly rolling your quads etc feels good but doesn't do much, you roll slowly & deliberately and put as much pressure on as you can stand without crying (sort of like the difference between a massage at the spa and a massage from a sports therapist....) There are great videos on runnersworld.com and youtube
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've tried them and they seem to be good! When you hit a sore spot and stay on it, it's that 'good' hurt.

I would like to know when is the proper time to use them - after every workout or only certain times?
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes, I a runner. Do you have a brand or type you recommend?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Definiately pick one up.

I ordered mine from elitefts.com

They're great fore soreness and tightness. Really helped my back.
  • timbrantjr
    Options
    The firmer the better. I have IT band issues when training for endurance events to the point I had to get PT. Now, not sure how I made it this far with out one... I bought mine at Target (I know, random), but no particular brand is better than the other. It's more about firmness...

Hope this helps.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    They are fantastic for lifters too who get tight after workouts. I have a set of them that take a lot of that stiffness in my back and legs away.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's the next best thing to having your own personal masseuse. I have a very loving intimate relationship with mine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Id also pick up a tennis ball and a lacrosse ball. They're good for the hard to get at spots. Especially in the glutes.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I rolled my IT bands last night and it's like I have new legs this morning. Totally worth it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Id also pick up a tennis ball and a lacrosse ball. They're good for the hard to get at spots. Especially in the glutes.

+1 on this too. I've been using a tennis ball, but been meaning to also pick up a lacrosse ball.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Foam rollers are the best thing evar! I suggest "The Grid"

also +1 for the tennis ball.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    2 words - THE STICK
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have a Stick too. Excellent.
  • natalienovella88
    Options
    Oh I love them! I am not a runner or anything. I try to just do cardio and weights at the gym but it always loosens the knots in my calves and lengthens my legs. My personal trainer had me doing them and it has been one of my fav forms of stretching since!!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me occasionally roll my hips/legs on them to get out the tightness. It HURTS.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you run or lift, they will be the best frenemy you've ever had :laugh:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    They hurt so good.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    OMG - I super puffy heart LOVE mine! It really helps with sore muscles and working out the kinks. I try to remember to use mine at least 3 times a week. It really helps my back.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    They hurt so good.

This.

I need to buy a personal one for home. I use one at the gym before/after workouts (when I remember to).
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Awesome, haven't bought one yet myself, pricey, but we have big PVC pipes cut down at the gym. A cheaper DYI