NET CALORIES!

Options
Can someone please explain to me what net calories is??? My Calorie intake is 1200 and it seems like my net calories range in the 900's or so..... I dont know if this is why I am not losing

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Total calories you've eaten minus how much you burned through exercise. Your net calories are all that's left to fuel your body.

It's like your net pay: total pay minus taxes etc = how much you have left to pay your bills.
  • srrivera24
    Options
    Still confused
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Your net is supposed to match your original calorie goal. MFP gives you a certain amount of calories based on how many your body needs in a normal day. When you exercise, you need to eat more to fuel your body the same way. Don't worry about eating more, you are still eating a caloric deficit by following MFP recommendations. A deficit is what matters when losing weight. Eating the equivalent of 900 calories is going to starve your body, it needs more than that!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Net Calories = Calories Eaten - Calories Burned Through Exercise

If I eat 1200 calories worth of food and then run for 30 minutes and burn 300 calories, my net calories are 900.

900 Calories = 1200 Eaten Calories - 300 Calories Burned Through Exercise.

PS: 900 Net Calories is too low. Try shooting for 1200 Net Calories, which might look like this:

1200 Net Calories = 1500 Eaten Calories - 300 Calories Burned Through Exercise
  • OneSassyRn
    Options
    To Jorra: Ok. I see how much you have lost. Its fantastic. I am only just starting to lose. Any advice or words of encouragement! I hope to see a weight lose like that one day.
  • srrivera24
    Options
    GOT IT..... Thats alot easier to understand, maybe thats why I am not losing cause I am not eating anough..... So can you explain to me what BMR is??? MFP says mine is 1497
  • Jorra
    Options
    BMR is how many calories your body uses in a day just to stay alive. It's how much you'd burn in a coma. Your body burns most of its calories just digesting, growing, living, thinking, etc. Your TDEE is how many calories your body burns in a typical day including BMR and all the moving around you do. MFP gives you a goal that's less than your TDEE so you have a calorie deficit. When you exercise, your TDEE is higher, so you need to eat more to keep the same deficit.
  • srrivera24
    Options
    I am sorry you totally lost me
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    BMR is how many calories your body uses in a day just to stay alive. It's how much you'd burn in a coma. Your body burns most of its calories just digesting, growing, living, thinking, etc. Your TDEE is how many calories your body burns in a typical day including BMR and all the moving around you do. MFP gives you a goal that's less than your TDEE so you have a calorie deficit. When you exercise, your TDEE is higher, so you need to eat more to keep the same deficit.
    So... very slowly for those of us whom are slow at getting things... HOW DO WE FIGURE OUR TDEE.... and where does MFP give me my BMR..... now how stupid do I sound??? PLEASE HELP :happy:
  • 447eliz
    447eliz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Also, you may try eating more often during the day, about every two to three hours. This helps keep your metabolism up. Also will help you reach your calorie goal for the day, without having to feel like you have to eat a big meal at the end of the day. Also, keep a close eye on your sugar intake, making sure to keep within the guidelines. I was struggling to loss weight at first, began eating this way, as well as making sure I hit my 1200 calories with or without exercise and have lost 25 since Jan. 19th. 11 bls since I began using this app 3 week ago.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you totally lost me

Your BMR is how many calories you burn just for being alive. If you have a desk job, you are going to have a lower bmr than someoen that digs ditches all day. In saying that, MFP calculated mine at 1449 and it is really 1700.

Yes, you do need to eat more. My experience is that I was eating around 1200 calories a day, then I upped my calories to 1400 and started eating back most of my exercise calories and started losing weight again. As a matter of fact, I lost those last few lbs that are the hardest for a 43 year old to lose, and made my goal last week.

I know it is hard to wrap your head around but if you eat good, nutritious foods, you will can lose weight by eating more calories, I am living proof of that.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Also, you may try eating more often during the day, about every two to three hours. This helps keep your metabolism up. Also will help you reach your calorie goal for the day, without having to feel like you have to eat a big meal at the end of the day. Also, keep a close eye on your sugar intake, making sure to keep within the guidelines. I was struggling to loss weight at first, began eating this way, as well as making sure I hit my 1200 calories with or without exercise and have lost 25 since Jan. 19th. 11 bls since I began using this app 3 week ago.
    This is completely false. Eating more frequently does nothing for your metabolism. There are plenty of posts and research on this site if you do a search. Meal frequency and timing are myths that keep going for some strange reason.
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    so I was totally upset cause I thought I was doing so good last week on my exercise & cal.intake. weighed Friday morn & gained not alot but I gained.. so now I think that I understand why I gained cause I didnt eat enough.. so if my cal.intake is 1200 should I take in what calories that I exercise off to stay the same or to lose..
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Good advice, when I first started on here, I only looked at Net Calories, but then I started looking at everything else like Sodium, and sugar, and carbs, and now I'm learning out to adjust my diet to fit all of the criteria's. It is very hard with the sodium though.
  • Jorra
    Options
    BMR: Calories (energy) used by body to stay alive in one day
    TDEE: Total daily energy expenditure, total calories used by body in one day to stay alive AND move around

You can find your BMR by going to the Tools tab
    You can find your TDEE by going to the Goals section and changing your goal to "maintain my weight" and see what your calorie goal is.

Eating small meals frequently does not offer any advantage over larger meals less frequently. It's all up to personal preference. I prefer to eat larger meals and I am doing just fine.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    This is completely false. Eating more frequently does nothing for your metabolism. There are plenty of posts and research on this site if you do a search. Meal frequency and timing are myths that keep going for some strange reason.

It could be a myth for you but it is not for me. Simple fact of the matter is, I am fueling my body and I get lethargic if I do not eat this way. But then again, that is just MY EXPERIENCE, some people may have different ones.
  • nursemickey
    nursemickey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Eating frequent smaller meals helps keeps the body going. Of course it's what you eat in those meals that count.

For some, their blood sugar starts to drop giving them the "lag" feeling. Eating every 3 hours helps maintain that level and thus gives them the "jump" they need.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Eat meals with protein, dark green veggies.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Eating frequent smaller meals helps keeps the body going. Of course it's what you eat in those meals that count.

For some, their blood sugar starts to drop giving them the "lag" feeling. Eating every 3 hours helps maintain that level and thus gives them the "jump" they need.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Eat meals with protein, dark green veggies.

That's really not true for everyone. Big meals keep me going for a long time. Small meals just make me constantly hungry and lethargic. Plus, that type of eating really doesn't work with my life and schedule. That doesn't mean my body isn't still going or that my metabolism is slowing down in between meals.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I find eating 3 big meals (sometimes a snack between lunch and dinner) is easier than eating lots of small meals, I like to feel full after my meals instead of just satisfied, and a big meal actually stops me from being hungry all the way until my next meal, whereas if I am having a bunch of smaller meals I will tend to just snack and go overboard
  • Hope1971
    Hope1971 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    so I was totally upset cause I thought I was doing so good last week on my exercise & cal.intake. weighed Friday morn & gained not alot but I gained.. so now I think that I understand why I gained cause I didnt eat enough.. so if my cal.intake is 1200 should I take in what calories that I exercise off to stay the same or to lose..

Yes you should eat your exercise calories back to get yourself back up to at least 1200 for the day. You will still be losing weight even eating those exercise calories back because you are automatically set to a deficit amount by MFP. So don't worry you won't gain!